Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different rules in different forums

Options
  • 03-09-2017 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering why there are different rules re. receiving warnings, depending which forum you're in. I got a warning a good while back for referring to a well known footballer by his cartoon character nickname (this was in the soccer forum). Today, in the AH forum, I saw him referred to by the same nickname. I reported the post, and asked if the poster had received the same punishment that I had received. I was informed by the mod who dealt with me that the two forums had different rules and that, while it wasn't allowed in the Soccer forum, it was in AH. That, to me, is bizarre. If it's unacceptable in one (which I don't believe it should have been; the player is widely known by this nickname), it should be unacceptable across Boards.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It is not the intention of Board to have uniformity and homogeneity across the different forums. There is one set of common rules, the Boards Terms of Use which apply to each and every forum.

However, each forum is a community which has evolved its own rules over the years. Each forum experiences different pressures and as a result, the moderators of each forum can adapt their forum charter as they best see fit to ensure smooth running of the forum.

The best advice is to read the charter for each forum, and become aware of what is specific or unique to that forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

So be it. I don't agree with it, but arguing the toss until dawn will not change your (or my) mind, so I'll leave it at that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I will just throw some specifics in here about the Soccer forum. As you know it has restricted access and runs an annual feedback thread. It has some significantly different rules than many other forums based on the feedback of forum regulars and the particular problems arising in a forum which attracts some fans of particular clubs hell-bent on winding up fans of other clubs

Advertisement