Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurlers

Options
  • 03-09-2017 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭

Credit where it's due.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Any word yet where the home-coming will be tomorrow? Back of the Cathedral again or Pearse Stadium? Would make sense for them to stop at the Plaza in Loughrea rather than trying to bring all of east Galway into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Any word yet where the home-coming will be tomorrow? Back of the Cathedral again or Pearse Stadium? Would make sense for them to stop at the Plaza in Loughrea rather than trying to bring all of east Galway into town.

At the launch party in Mainguard St on Thursday evening, they said it would be Pearse Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Ballinasloe 3-5, then Pearse Stadium from around 6.30, I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ballinasloe 3-5, then Pearse Stadium from around 6.30, I think!

so probably 9 o clock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

so probably 9 o clock

On the radio it stated that as there is no flood lighting in Pearse Stadium they have to be there for 6.30pm as it cant be held in the dark, Garda will make sure the team are there for 6.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'll be there at 6.30 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Not to be a killjoy but having the party in salthill on a Monday at 6.30 when people are already having issues getting home on a normal evening is ridiculous... Absolute chaos on the roads at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

smurf492 wrote: »
    Not to be a killjoy but having the party in salthill on a Monday at 6.30 when people are already having issues getting home on a normal evening is ridiculous... Absolute chaos on the roads at the moment...

Worst traffic I've seen on the Headford Rd, Dyke Rd backed up, even the road from Corinthians over to Ballindooley had a mile long tailback. A lot of people won't be there til 7.30, if they make it at all...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

A one way system via lough atalia & along collage road would sort it out nicely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I hope the grass will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Salthill is a great place for holidays,but an absolute hole of a place to have a sports stadium.I also think it is very ironic that they are celebrating a great All Ireland win in a stadium where they have never been allowed to play a championship game since they became part of the Leinster Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Fabulous homecoming. Proud to be a Galwayman.
    Well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Certainly not ideal but it's what? One evening after 29 years. I think we can let this one slide.

I presume the Guards thought the crowd would be too large for Eyre Square or the Cathedral car park and they were probably right.

A stadium on the eastern side of the city would solve a lot of problems like this but that's another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

The buzz around Galway after the All Ireland win is amazing. They did it with such dignity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭weshtawake

Agreed!
    There certainly seems to be a pep in the step of people around Galway and so well there might.
    Notice great delight in other Connacht county folks also who live and work in the city and who support the Galway hurlers.
    Super all round.
    Now if Mayo were to win the football......slan go dti an Nollaig!!!!!!!!!

A stadium on the eastern side of the city would solve a lot of problems like this but that's another story.

Obviously the racecourse mafia didn't like the idea of having it in their little pond... Which would have been ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Obviously the racecourse mafia didn't like the idea of having it in their little pond... Which would have been ideal

Were they asked?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Were they asked?

smurf492 Is posting rubbish / lies / pub talk.

The only land which horse racing Ireland(who both own and control Galway racecourse from their offices in Kildare - Local Galway managers aka the moloney's are site managers not decision makers) actually own is the race course and some surrounding car parks (which can in no way accommodate a large GAA stadium).

Was smurf492 expecting a GAA stadium to be built in the middle of the course blocking the view of nearly half the track?

Apologies for posting this, just felt the need to correct yet another conspiracy theory on this forum. Can we not enjoy the win rather than always dragging positive threads off topic with traffic / council ranting

Was just wondering, because I've often seen requests for the race course to be used for these events(may have even done it myself) but after attending a vintage car show there a couple of years ago, I came to the conclusion it wasn't really suitable for these type of events. Bar the car parking and location, it doesn't have a usable space for most type of events.

Anyway delighted everyone had a good time at Pearse Stadium. I'm still seeing some of the effects on a few souls.

• Advertisement

Actually i made a comment of my own opinions. Where do you get off saying im telling lies and pub talk. Is this not a public forum. Did i name any individual or speak ill of any individual? No i did not so do me a favour with your sarcastic post and stupidity about building a stadium in a racecourse and keep it to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Lads let's just be happy the hurlers won!

Actually i made a comment of my own opinions. Where do you get off saying im telling lies and pub talk. Is this not a public forum. Did i name any individual or speak ill of any individual? No i did not so do me a favour with your sarcastic post and stupidity about building a stadium in a racecourse and keep it to yourself.

So why use the term " racecourse mafia"?

Why not... Always a mystery who happens to run it. At least among the people I know. Don't see why its so offensive to some. Two race meetings a year seems a very inadequate use of such a resource

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Two race meetings a year seems a very inadequate use of such a resource

About 150000 people will use it this year. I cant think of any other sporting ground in the county that will top that

About 150000 people will use it this year. I cant think of any other sporting ground in the county that will top that

Over two separate weeks. Shameful waste of such an area

Why not... Always a mystery who happens to run it. At least among the people I know. Don't see why its so offensive to some. Two race meetings a year seems a very inadequate use of such a resource

Doesn't explain your use of the term mafia.
    Or don't you understand the implications of the word?

Over two separate weeks. Shameful waste of such an area

Do you realise the amount of money the races generate for the city? Aside from that the racecourse is an important sporting venue for a very popular sport you are out of your tree completely if you think getting rid of it would (a) ever happen and (b) be anything other than idiotic.

Doesn't explain your use of the term mafia. Or don't you understand the implications of the word?

Organised Criminal Activities ... I believe the lack of activities at the racecourse to be criminal and the organisation behind the racecourse should allow morw events to be held here

• Advertisement

Do you realise the amount of money the races generate for the city?

Yes and how much more money could be generated over the other 50 weeks in the year? Concerts and such would bring huge revenue to the city

Advertisement