Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

profanity in songs before watershed 2FM

Options
  • 03-09-2017 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

So its Sunday 5.30pm and RTE 2FM are playing excerpt from Friday Nights Electric Picnic Live - The DJ pre-warned there are Profanities throughout it but "you cannot tell the story of hip-hop without the profanities - if it upsets you cover your ears"

OK , I am an adult, I have heard all the words and more - the only issues I have with this is that maybe 5.30pm on a Sunday afternoon (in fact, no maybe about it) certain shops, fast food establishments (such as mcdonalds etc) and petrol stations and the like have 2FM blasting through their speakers - so thats one issue i have with playing content like this at this time of day and there are a fair amount of children about.

Issue number 2 - this was recorded Friday night and played Sunday afternoon - plenty of time to 'edit' and blank out the offensive words. - bit of a cop-out for the radio DJ to in effect "we have left in all the swearing but just get on with it"

Issue 3 - with standards like this dropping (and I am sure broadcasting rules broken by a national radio station playing unsuitable stuff for broadcasting before the watershed) - where does it all end up - will we have a "well the other day at 5.30pm you played songs with swearing throughout so why do we even have a watershed - why dont we allow swearing all throughout the day on the radio because thats the way its going" ... well then there is no turning back then , and i for one will think its sad when it crosses that line, because then you wont be able to have age ratings on films etc because people will be saying you cannot have swearing and unsuitable content on the radio but ban other things like games and films on TV that is not suitable to show before the watershed .. as I say, its standards slipping.

I want to gauge what other think about it - is it acceptable do you think? - should the rule of the watershed be banned now? - if you have young children and they start to repeat the swear words on the radio would you not be phased if they started repeating them?

I am not saying it wasnt good in fact I liked it a lot and yes they could have still broadcasted it at 5.30pm on sunday but it seems so lame that no-one thought to edit in and blank out the swear words and just took the maybe easy way out of just warning people there is swearing in it and to cover your ears - I think if anything like this was broadcast in UK at this time of day on a national radio station the authorities would be down on them like a ton of bricks - most probably near on shut the station down!

What do you reckon? - agree it should have still gone ahead and been censored or played after the watershed .. or doesnt it phase you at all and that any content should be played on the radio at any time of the day these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is no watershed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

2FM covered their tracks when they said there were profanities throughout. Which according to The Code of Programme Standards of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI)
    requires television and radio broadcasters to use at least one of three methods to advise viewers of content, namely: an explicit watershed for adult-oriented programmes; prior warnings before potentially offensive programming; and/or a descriptive classification system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

My view. If you don't like it, don't listen.
    I'm not a fan of profanity (or hiphop/r&b, seems to go hand in hand), but I hate stations that play a profanity-laden song and censor it. I'd rather hear the original version or nothing at all.
    There are plenty of other stations that keep vulgarity, innuendo and general nastiness to a minimum. No harm at all having a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I was more offended by the fact that they had Beyoncé's Crazy In Love included

Not hip hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

i counted at least 4 or 5 mother-effers in it and lost count of how many Sh*ts ...

• Advertisement

The children can listen to a regular diet of stories about murder, rape, abortion, paediophilia, racism, slavery, terrorism, animal cruelty and more. I think they can handle a few swear words.

The children can listen to a regular diet of stories about murder, rape, abortion, paediophilia, racism, slavery, terrorism, animal cruelty and more. I think they can handle a few swear words.

whats that RTE junior is it ;)

Do you swear yourself before 5.30pm OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

So its Sunday 5.30pm and RTE 2FM are playing excerpt from Friday Nights Electric Picnic Live - The DJ pre-warned there are Profanities throughout it but "you cannot tell the story of hip-hop without the profanities - if it upsets you cover your ears"

OK , I am an adult, I have heard all the words and more - the only issues I have with this is that maybe 5.30pm on a Sunday afternoon (in fact, no maybe about it) certain shops, fast food establishments (such as mcdonalds etc) and petrol stations and the like have 2FM blasting through their speakers - so thats one issue i have with playing content like this at this time of day and there are a fair amount of children about.

Issue number 2 - this was recorded Friday night and played Sunday afternoon - plenty of time to 'edit' and blank out the offensive words. - bit of a cop-out for the radio DJ to in effect "we have left in all the swearing but just get on with it"

Issue 3 - with standards like this dropping (and I am sure broadcasting rules broken by a national radio station playing unsuitable stuff for broadcasting before the watershed) - where does it all end up - will we have a "well the other day at 5.30pm you played songs with swearing throughout so why do we even have a watershed - why dont we allow swearing all throughout the day on the radio because thats the way its going" ... well then there is no turning back then , and i for one will think its sad when it crosses that line, because then you wont be able to have age ratings on films etc because people will be saying you cannot have swearing and unsuitable content on the radio but ban other things like games and films on TV that is not suitable to show before the watershed .. as I say, its standards slipping.

I want to gauge what other think about it - is it acceptable do you think? - should the rule of the watershed be banned now? - if you have young children and they start to repeat the swear words on the radio would you not be phased if they started repeating them?

I am not saying it wasnt good in fact I liked it a lot and yes they could have still broadcasted it at 5.30pm on sunday but it seems so lame that no-one thought to edit in and blank out the swear words and just took the maybe easy way out of just warning people there is swearing in it and to cover your ears - I think if anything like this was broadcast in UK at this time of day on a national radio station the authorities would be down on them like a ton of bricks - most probably near on shut the station down!

What do you reckon? - agree it should have still gone ahead and been censored or played after the watershed .. or doesnt it phase you at all and that any content should be played on the radio at any time of the day these days?

I'd rather profanity

Do you swear yourself before 5.30pm OP?

i dropped a whole jar of screws at around 6.30pm and said Bugger! - no children around thanks be to God ...

• Advertisement

Wouldn't count bugger as profanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

The whole concept that we have 'bad words' is ridiculous

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

The DJ pre-warned there are Profanities throughout it

That's pretty much all that's needed, no watershed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Listening to rap music without swear words is like showering with your socks on

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

Oh I'd say your fun at a party:-)

EPAndlee wrote: »

Listened to an edited Eminem song once before, it just didn't feel the same.

Oh I'd say your fun at a party:-)

i wouldnt know i havent been invited to a party in ages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Listened to an edited Eminem song once before, it just didn't feel the same.

I like to sing along to censored Eminem songs and fill in the missing swear words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Don't listen to 2fm OP! It's awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

The op point box view is everything that's wrong with this country. They want the government to babysit us then whinge that we are a nanny state.

Get over it op it's only a few words. F*** sake even ed sheeran is singing about bed sheets smelling like someone. Most artists will either swear or have innuendos in songs.

I was at work and tried to play the national "I need my girl". There is one line in it where he sings "remember when you lost your s***, and drove the car into the garden". That is the only swear word in the song. I was told it's not cafe appropriate even though the song is very calm and soothing. Instead they switched it off and put on Niki minaje (spelling?). Now there was no swear words but which would you consider appropriate?

For what it's worth I agree that what your referring to should not have been played in family environments but just switch the station. Swear words are fine in my opinion but they need to be used correctly. A lot of thickos out there use them every second word. It losses all meaning. But when you choose the word correctly and use it at the right time then sh**-ball's, you got yourself some emphasis.

• Advertisement

'Murica .........

You know what comes next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

RTE FYI:

I watched police academy during the day a few years ago on rte 2, at 4 or 5 pm. There were minor swear words and boobs.

It was on again, this time 1am in the morning on a Saturday night. No swearing and a much shorter movie.

I think somebody switched the video cassettes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

The bad language doesn't bother me. But then I usually listen to 2FM with my b1atches in the motherf**king car with b*stard hood down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

i counted at least 4 or 5 mother-effers in it and lost count of how many Sh*ts ...

Getting upset over stuff like this is absolutely pointless.

Your grandparents generation said that Elvis was vulgar. Some people don't like when the other 8 billion people in the world don't have the same values and/or narrow mindedness as them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rounders

"Ride me sideways was another one" :pac:

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Getting upset over stuff like this is absolutely pointless.

Your grandparents generation said that Elvis was vulgar. Some people don't like when the other 8 billion people in the world don't have the same values and/or narrow mindedness as them.....

at what stage was I upset about it - that escalated quickly!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I was listening to Ed's Songs of Praise, which for whatever reason, was hosted in a tent at EP.

At about 20:15 he had on Killing in the Name of... which was thankfully uncensored, with noise of cheering from the crowd in the tent. I was expecting the last swearing part to be cut, but no.

I did wonder about watershed, but I see from dxhound above, there is no radio watershed. Thank fcuk! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

EPAndlee wrote: »

Unless it's someone like MC Hammer/Vanilla Ice/Heavy D etc.

ha we have come to a point where we have the word 'pills' censored in the katy perry song 'Feels' - but other stuff isnt censored on the radio.

Anyone remember that song few years ago where they had to replace suicidal with 'in denial' because people kicked off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

ha we have come to a point where we have the word 'pills' censored in the katy perry song 'Feels' - but other stuff isnt censored on the radio.

Anyone remember that song few years ago where they had to replace suicidal with 'in denial' because people kicked off?

Yep, that would be "Beautiful Girls" by Sean Kingston.

Advertisement