Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

profanity in songs before watershed 2FM

Options
2»

Comments

ha we have come to a point where we have the word 'pills' censored in the katy perry song 'Feels' - but other stuff isnt censored on the radio.

Anyone remember that song few years ago where they had to replace suicidal with 'in denial' because people kicked off?
    Also Teenage Dirtbag where they censor "dick", "gun" and "ass". Or Unfaithful by Rihanna where they censor "gun". Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Karsini wrote: »
    Also Teenage Dirtbag where they censor "dick", "gun" and "ass". Or Unfaithful by Rihanna where they censor "gun". Ridiculous.

tis - its neither one thing or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Plenty of rap doesn't have profanities

And it doesn't impact on the quality of the tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,534 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Karsini wrote: »

In a lot of cases for older tracks, the radio edits are the ones they were using when the song came out and will be chopped up more than they would now.

Realistically, when Doctor Pressure by Mylo was beign played unedited on daytime radio all bets were off from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Listening to rap music without swear words is like showering with your socks on

So if I listen to rap music I won't be able to wash my feet. I see what you're saying....I think:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

L1011 wrote: »
    In a lot of cases for older tracks, the radio edits are the ones they were using when the song came out and will be chopped up more than they would now.

Realistically, when Doctor Pressure by Mylo was beign played unedited on daytime radio all bets were off from then on.

To be fair, on that Mylo song, you couldn't really make outwhat the talkbox-type voice was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

at what stage was I upset about it - that escalated quickly!

I ment in general, not you specifically........ Should have started with that!!!!! Sos

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was listeniing to John Mullane being interviewed on Radio 1 yesterday before the All Ireland. At one stage he said something like, "Today is the payoff for all the winter months training in the muck and the sh1t." When he finished the presenter made a big deal apologising to everyone who was offended. And I think John ended up having to apologise too.
    They should lighten up a bit. I doubt anyone was offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It depends on what age you think young ears should be listening to bad language. Is it OK for a three or four year old to be listening to adult lyrics? Bad language never killed anyone but a lot of people make the effort to watch their mouths when they're around younger kids. If people want to swear like navvies when they get a bit older that's their choice. It's not a positive trait in younger kids .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I personally wouldn't have liked my kids listening to profanities on national radio or anywhere else come to that.
    They pick up the words fast enough as they grow and mix. Having the national radio lowervtheirvstandards even further just to keep in with the 'yoof' is hardly surprising.
    Probably why I listen to music my ipod in the car.

• Advertisement

I meant to add that when I was growing up, the radio was always on in the kitchen. I knew a lot of the songs of the day and the lyrics. Kids are very observant. They also can spot a profanity a mile off.

There are plenty of hours in the evening when DJs can play what they want. Is it really that big a deal not to play risqué songs for a few hours in the day. Not everyone tuning in is a childless yoof.

I meant to add that when I was growing up, the radio was always on in the kitchen. I knew a lot of the songs of the day and the lyrics. Kids are very observant. They also can spot a profanity a mile off.

There are plenty of hours in the evening when DJs can play what they want. Is it really that big a deal not to play risqué songs for a few hours in the day. Not everyone tuning in is a childless yoof.

agree -

and there must be some reason why a watershed was introduced in the first place and rules put in place to air content like that at a suitable time late at night - I presume the watershed is steadfast in the UK still and that the authorities take a very dim view or prosecute or give them warnings if they break strict broadcasting rules.... so whats the difference in Ireland, why does Ireland think they can broadcast whatever content they like to listeners in Ireland at any time of the day when minors can be in earshot of a radio.. and before people say "you can always change stations" sometimes that is not always possible, especially if speakers are blasting out in a shop or restaurant or somewhere where you cannot change stations or if you put on the radio in the car but missed the warning given about language.

The best bet would be if the broadcasters stayed to a 9pm watershed for content like that then everyone knew where they stand - parents can then know it will be safe to put on radio before 9pm with their children in earshot and that its going to be suitable content.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,534 ✭✭✭✭L1011

so whats the difference in Ireland, why does Ireland think they can broadcast whatever content they like to listeners in Ireland at any time of the day

Legally, effectively, yes

There is, and never was, a specified watershed here. The idea of "still" in the UK as if it existed here and is being ignored is incorrect - the UK has one, we don't.

Do it all the time and you may get BAI complaints upheld against you. None have, possibly nobody has actually complained to the BAI but I'd find that unlikely - I suspect complainants are told they've no basis.

L1011 wrote: »
    Legally, effectively, yes

There is, and never was, a specified watershed here. The idea of "still" in the UK as if it existed here and is being ignored is incorrect - the UK has one, we don't.

Do it all the time and you may get BAI complaints upheld against you. None have, possibly nobody has actually complained to the BAI but I'd find that unlikely - I suspect complainants are told they've no basis.

thats surprising that , never having a watershed at all. Yeah i'm quite surprised at that.

Maybe there never was a need for one because Ireland was so conservative and it was a self-policing thing?

Maybe there never was a need for one because Ireland was so conservative and it was a self-policing thing?

is TV the same then in Ireland, no official watershed on that as well then?

Advertisement