Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Spouse Pension to reduce Rental Income Tax?

• 03-09-2017 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hello,
    Our situations are as follows:

Contributor : Taxpayer Age 58 - under PAYE with employer AVC; Full Tax reliefs availed of for pension payments - at SFT limit based on combination of DB and AVC pensions.:(

Spouse also age 58 - No PAYE Income in past 30 years; No Pension contributions made - will just receive non contributory pension

Currently Jointly Assessed.

We now have a new additional income source : house rental income - Nett taxable income from rental is approx Eur 5,000 per year.

Question 1.
    Is it possible to assign this rental income to my spouse in my tax assessment thereby opening up the potential for tax relief on that income for her based on making tax deductible payments to a pension fund for her. I am assuming that my (husband SFT) limit has no impact on such payments (as I assume that she should have her own limit).

Question 2.
    Some taxed income has been used to purchase shares : Can dividend income related to the shares also be assigned to my spouse and similarly used as income against which pension contributions can be made in a tax effective manner?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I can't see how your wife is going to be eligible for a non contributory pension. Its means tested and that seems like a decent level of income there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

To answer your actually question, the answer to both is no. Tax relief for pension contributions is only available against income from employments.

Advertisement