Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to prove insulation for future BER assessment?

• 03-09-2017 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

We have just purchased a 25 year old four bed semi. The walls were lined with lining paper and they needed to be stripped before we could do a paint job. We have done this and are down to plaster board. We need to have the place skimmed before we can paint.

While we are at it, we have decided to insulate the external walls from inside, starting in the main sitting room and master bedroom (we can't afford to do the whole lot now). A builder friend has suggested 65mm insulating boards.

The house has a glass conservatory that opens into the kitchen and playroom - in time we would like to demolish this and make a solid structure. But not now as we don't have funds. Until we can improve that part of the house, I don't think it's possible to improve our BER.

My questions is this - how do I retain proof of the insulation work we are doing on the two rooms now, so that I can use it when we eventually upgrade the remainder of the house and get a BER assessment?

Our builder has said he will provide invoices for purchase of insulating boards - will this be enough? He is not SEAI registered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

lucky2017 wrote: »
    We have just purchased a 25 year old four bed semi. The walls were lined with lining paper and they needed to be stripped before we could do a paint job. We have done this and are down to plaster board. We need to have the place skimmed before we can paint.

While we are at it, we have decided to insulate the external walls from inside, starting in the main sitting room and master bedroom (we can't afford to do the whole lot now). A builder friend has suggested 65mm insulating boards.

The house has a glass conservatory that opens into the kitchen and playroom - in time we would like to demolish this and make a solid structure. But not now as we don't have funds. Until we can improve that part of the house, I don't think it's possible to improve our BER.

My questions is this - how do I retain proof of the insulation work we are doing on the two rooms now, so that I can use it when we eventually upgrade the remainder of the house and get a BER assessment?

Our builder has said he will provide invoices for purchase of insulating boards - will this be enough? He is not SEAI registered.

Take some pictures and also if there are wall vents they can check those. Worse case near a skirting board they can probe for depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

lucky2017 wrote: »
    No good unless it has your address on it. If it has that, it could be used to identify the brand of insulation.
    You would need 2 photos per facade. One up close showing a measuring tape up against the thickness of the board. One from further away for context, showing a window or something.

Get one of the CE label on the packaging of the boards when they arrive, if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

It would also be helpful to have a dated letter from the builder confirming that he installed 62.5mm 'brand name' insulated plasterboard to all external walls at the relevant address. As above, get two photos from each facade of each room showing the thickness and brand name of the product and in the context of the room itself. Get CE and NSAI/IAB/BBA certificates for the products used and keep on file.

Advertisement