Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shipping My Own Laptop To Ireland

• 03-09-2017 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

I want to ship my own personal laptop from a country in the Middle East. Its my laptop so I don't want to get caught with customs on something I own...
    Is there a way to make sure customs know its my laptop and Im not "importing it" or trying to sell it on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Is it brand new in the box? Or have you used it a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Is it brand new in the box? Or have you used it a while?

Its not in any box, it just the laptop and the charger in something like a Fedex box or whatever I can find with bubble wrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Its not in any box, it just the laptop and the charger in something like a Fedex box or whatever I can find with bubble wrap.

Does it look used? Is it an old model? Or is it brand new, state of the art and just put in a 'fedex box?'

I think that's what the other poster was asking.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The question is, is it new?
    If it is new then you will owe duty and vat. If it is not new then nothing is owed. If it is VERY new looking & you claim it is not new you might have to show proof of purchase.
    It's not the courier that you have to convince. It's customs /revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Donal55 wrote: »

Does it look used? Is it an old model? Or is it brand new, state of the art and just put in a 'fedex box?'

I think that's what the other poster was asking.;)

Ah ok, well it's new kept very well could pass as new. Should I put a few dents and scratches in it 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

I want to ship my own personal laptop from a country in the Middle East. Its my laptop so I don't want to get caught with customs on something I own...
    Is there a way to make sure customs know its my laptop and Im not "importing it" or trying to sell it on.

SellingJuan,

are you moving back from a stint abroad ? How long have you lived in the middle east? You could bring it in under a transfer of residence provided you meet the criteria, but it would make your case stronger if there were other personal effects with it. Have a look at this link; http://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/transfer-of-residence/index.aspx

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement