Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie Dj'ing

• 03-09-2017 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Does anyone know where I could find some good tutorial videos on techniques for Dj'ing Indie (The Cure, The Smiths, Teenage Fanclub etc.) ? There's tons of videos available on playing House, Techno etc. but I can't seem to find anything on Dj'ing guitar based stuff.

Thanks,

Dicey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Dicey16 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could find some good tutorial videos on techniques for Dj'ing Indie (The Cure, The Smiths, Teenage Fanclub etc.) ? There's tons of videos available on playing House, Techno etc. but I can't seem to find anything on Dj'ing guitar based stuff.

Thanks,

Dicey

Djing guitar based music is a different beast to electronic music mixing and it's more about having a feel for the track selection and how they work together. It's a pretty narrow field and most indie djs will also play other different styles that complement it like mod/soul/hip-hop/electronica. It's no harm learning basic djing techniques from dance music and trying to apply it to any music that you want to mix together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dicey16

sweetie wrote: »
    Djing guitar based music is a different beast to electronic music mixing and it's more about having a feel for the track selection and how they work together. It's a pretty narrow field and most indie djs will also play other different styles that complement it like mod/soul/hip-hop/electronica. It's no harm learning basic djing techniques from dance music and trying to apply it to any music that you want to mix together.

I know you said it's no harm in learning basic techniques from Dance but am I right in saying it's mainly about putting together a good set and making sure each track fades into the next smoothly?

In other words - excuse my ignorance on this – are things like beat-matching etc. not as important when it comes to Dj'ing Indie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Dicey16 wrote: »
    I know you said it's no harm in learning basic techniques from Dance but am I right in saying it's mainly about putting together a good set and making sure each track fades into the next smoothly?

In other words - excuse my ignorance on this – are things like beat-matching etc. not as important when it comes to Dj'ing Indie?

yes, you're probably right for a pure indie set but nowadays the better alternative djs would genre hop a lot and use these techniques to ensure a good flow to the set. At the end of the day the right tracks mixed simply is better than the wrong tracks mixed well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I did this for years.
    As sweetie said, mix in other genres to keep it interesting.
    But yes, it's mostly less about beat matching. As with any style it's all about keeping the groove going, playing the room.

A lot of indie guitar tracks are recognisable by their opening riff, so there's a lot of dropping straight in. If you're doing this you can keep things moving by cutting the previous track short. I'm no beat matching expert, but I liked to do it in anything with an intro that allowed it.

Watch some early style djing videos for tips (A lot of paradise garage era stuff was less about mixing/beat matching).

Advertisement