Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuing studies in Australia

Options
  • 03-09-2017 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everyone,

I am due to start year 1 of a BA in psychotherapy this month with DBS. I plan on going ahead with year one and probably year 2 aswell. Originally my plan was to finish out my degree here and then head to Australia to live and work potentially permanently.

However, due to many recent personal issues and circumstances, I have thought about maybe finishing out my studies over in Australia. I haven't looked into it much in terms of visas and college fees etc but does anyone have any experience with this? I'm 23 if that makes any difference. Just wondering if anyone knows what is involved in transferring credits etc and if it's actually possible to do so. Also wondering about my right to work while studying.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Wanderlust91

Hey Caroline, my advice, do your course within Ireland, finish it. Ireland's fees are cheap as chips in comparison to Australia. I do not know your personal circumstances but in Ireland SUSI can pay all your fees in some instances. We are very lucky in Ireland. Australian citizens and permanent residents are entitled too a thing called HECS, the Australian government pay your fees and you pay them back when you earn over a set amount when you are paid weekly etc. Fees for Australian citizens and permanent residents are incredibly high. As an international student you could be paying anything from 10,000 dollars per term in Australia. A year can cost up too over 20 thousand dollars for an international student. On top of this, you must obtain a student visa and insurance which will run you a couple of thousand. Australia do not make it easy for international students, a student visa entitles you too only work 20 hours during term months, definitely not enough to live on and pay rent although I have seen TAFE international students do it. Alot of international students in Australia tend too be on scholarships or come from incredibly rich families. My opinion, maybe look at doing a year abroad through exchange. I do not mean to be negative about it but its certainly a a very difficult and expensive option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CarolineLily

Hey Caroline, my advice, do your course within Ireland, finish it. Ireland's fees are cheap as chips in comparison to Australia. I do not know your personal circumstances but in Ireland SUSI can pay all your fees in some instances. We are very lucky in Ireland. Australian citizens and permanent residents are entitled too a thing called HECS, the Australian government pay your fees and you pay them back when you earn over a set amount when you are paid weekly etc. Fees for Australian citizens and permanent residents are incredibly high. As an international student you could be paying anything from 10,000 dollars per term in Australia. A year can cost up too over 20 thousand dollars for an international student. On top of this, you must obtain a student visa and insurance which will run you a couple of thousand. Australia do not make it easy for international students, a student visa entitles you too only work 20 hours during term months, definitely not enough to live on and pay rent although I have seen TAFE international students do it. Alot of international students in Australia tend too be on scholarships or come from incredibly rich families. My opinion, maybe look at doing a year abroad through exchange. I do not mean to be negative about it but its certainly a a very difficult and expensive option for you.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply! I thought that might be the case. I certainly don't come from an incredibly rich family that's for sure! 😜 So think my only option really would be to have some patience. I know 4 years really isn't that long in the big picture. Thanks again for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Wanderlust91

Hi,

Thank you for your reply! I thought that might be the case. I certainly don't come from an incredibly rich family that's for sure! 😜 So think my only option really would be to have some patience. I know 4 years really isn't that long in the big picture. Thanks again for the advice!
    You could always try a year exchange if you are very keen, otherwise Id recommend Ireland till you qualify :)

Advertisement