Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Holiday Jan (Potentially New Zealand)

Options
  • 03-09-2017 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Would anyone have any recommendations for a cycling holiday in Jan?

Potentialy on my own so would need to book onto a tour.

Have New Zealand on my mind but the tours Im finding are coming in at 3000Eur for 10 days!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

One of the various winter training camps in the Canaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I have quite often recommended the canaries as a winter cycling destination in the past and to be honest it is hard to be beat for value and conditions at that time of year.

Depending on what you are looking for Tenerife and Gran Canaria cover most bases.

You can do a training camp style holiday for training based around the south of both Islands but the best thing about both is the relative undiscovered beauty of the centre and north of both islands.

Because both islands have a massive cyclotourism industry you are never far away away from services like food, accommodation, repairs etc. so it can also be done solo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What about Cyprus? Cobalt Aero fly from Dublin direct (although don't think they have schedule for that time of year launched yet). Ryanair also recently announced direct flights but not sure when they start.

Weather in January could get up to 20 or so (but it gets dark early) and there are plenty of hills. I've cycled there a handful of times, from what I see it is a relatively niche sport in those parts so watch out for drivers, but anyone I've met always slowed down for a quick chat. Not sure about anything organised.

For 3000 you'll have plenty of change left, probably pay travel, accommodation and have more than half to put towards a new bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

NZ for 10 days would be madness. Are you talking MTB or Road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sherlok

It's a long long way for 10 days.  I'd stay closer to home and leave NZ until you have at least a month (ideally)

Advertisement