Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this how boards works now?

• 03-09-2017 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

I keep seeing threads that work like this...

Question: I have planted potatoes and I'm looking for a way to store them once they're ready to be dug up. It needs to be mouse-proof and preferably airtight. Any suggestions?

Answer: Why didn't you plant parsnips? They're nicer and you'd get a higher yield.
    Answer: Don't use a spade to dig them up, use a fork.
    Answer: Use poison to stop the mice from eating them.
    Answer: Put them in a container.
    Answer: You don't need somewhere to store them. What you need to do is invest in a commercial deep-fryer and make cast quantities of artisan crisps. Sell the crisps at festivals.
    Answer: Don't use a fork to dig them up, use a shovel.
    Answer: You're an amateur, you shouldn't have been allowed near a garden.
    Answer: Shovels and spades are best.
    Answer: The most important thing about growing potatoes is to watch out for blight.
    Answer: Have you considered storing them in some sort of container? That's what we do and it works.
    Answer: Don't bother storing them. It makes more sense to get a stall at a farmers' market and sell them there. I have thirty years' experience in farmers' markets, I know what I'm talking about.
    Answer: OP, use a fork to dig them up and then store them somewhere safe. This is what you need. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackson-Elements-Digging-Fork/dp/B002W6YYUM.
    Answer: Seriously OP, you need to stop wasting your time with potatoes. Parsnips are the solution to your problem. You get a better price at farmers' markets for parsnips.

I have had some really excellent advice from boards too, from people who know what they're talking about, but that somehow makes the useless stuff
    more annoying.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Irish and their potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Why didnt you post this in Feedback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Shove them up your hole

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Perfect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Stop whingeing and make us a cuppa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It depends on where you post the question. That particular one would have been answered honestly and expertly in the Gardening forum, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Perfect!

LOL

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Don't use a spade to dig them up, use a fork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Was it not always like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

Perfect!

See... you didn't answer the question. Is this how boards works now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

I'm not sure if AH would be the most suitable place to ask about potatoes and the digging and storing thereof.

To paraphrase Fr. Jack: ''That would be an agricultural matter'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hydroponics is the future of potatoes and other plants of the deadly nightshade family.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have you tried the Fruit and Veg forum OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Why didn't you plant parsnips? They're nicer and you'd get a higher yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

Try the nutrition and diet forum OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Don't use a spade to dig them up, use a fork.

Compromise and use a spork

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

does the meal come with potatoes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Just wait till you find spots on your willeh

Esel wrote: »
    Hydroponics is the future of potatoes and other plants of the deadly nightshade family.

They are in the nightshade family. Deadly nightshade is just one species and not a family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Don't use a fork to dig them up, use a spade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hydroponics
    I love that band.

Liamalone wrote: »
    Don't use a fork to dig them up, use a spade.

Compromise and use a spork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

They are in the nightshade family. Deadly nightshade is just one species and not a family.

Ah here - I knew you would correct me! :)

What's your opinion on hydroponics?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Shove them up your hole

See, that's where you've been going wrong, you're supposed to shove them DOWN your hole.

Ah here - I knew you would correct me! :)

What's your opinion on hydroponics?
    New age hippy nonsense. Grand for watercress but I like a bit of muck on my spuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Forget spuds and parsnips, Carsnips is whee the future is, ftw.........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

When a question starts with “does anyone know...”

Yeah someone does know and it’s usually not some random lads on boards

Does anyone know know why my welfare payment was stopped?

WTF?! Like what are you going to do, head to the welfare office and tell them billy95 on boards told them they had to reinstate payments?!

What time does Harvey Norman close at? Eh.....

Or better.....

Q: Is PC World open today?

A: Yes definitely was there last Sunday

A: No, I went last Sunday and it was closed

Great, what then??? If only there was some way to search the internet for a phone number and use the least used function on your smartphone to actually call someone

.... like people are just becoming so lazy! It’s boards not f’in Wikipedia

• Advertisement

It’s boards not f’in Wikipedia

Ah now, it's often more accurate than Wikipedia, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Ah now, it's often more accurate than Wikipedia, in fairness.

Citation needed

Citation needed

[1]

[1] ^ Gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Question: I have planted potatoes and I'm looking for a way to store them once they're ready to be dug up. It needs to be mouse-proof and preferably airtight. Any suggestions?

Answer: Why didn't you plant parsnips? They're nicer and you'd get a higher yield.
    Answer: You don't need somewhere to store them. What you need to do is invest in a commercial deep-fryer and make cast quantities of artisan crisps. Sell the crisps at festivals.
    Answer: The most important thing about growing potatoes is to watch out for blight.
    Answer: Have you considered storing them in some sort of container? That's what we do and it works.
    Answer: Don't bother storing them. It makes more sense to get a stall at a farmers' market and sell them there. I have thirty years' experience in farmers' markets, I know what I'm talking about.
    Answer: OP, use a fork to dig them up and then store them somewhere safe. This is what you need. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackson-Elements-Digging-Fork/dp/B002W6YYUM.
    Answer: Seriously OP, you need to stop wasting your time with potatoes. Parsnips are the solution to your problem. You get a better price at farmers' markets for parsnips.

I have had some really excellent advice from boards too, from people who know what they're talking about, but that somehow makes the useless stuff
    more annoying.

yeah-but-no-but.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Have a ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Liamario

OP that was hilarious, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This thread is a perfect example of how After Hours works. Almost every reply is utter gibberish.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

I think they were just expressing their admiration for all things nightshade related. Theyre deadly loike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have you been over there lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

OP, here's my suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

me_irl wrote: »
    Why didn't you plant parsnips? They're nicer and you'd get a higher yield.

And they don't get blight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

more annoying.

You sound like Vincent Browne

Answer the question, answer the question, answer the goddamn question

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

This thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057783088&page=6 is an excellent example of what I'm talking about. She asked about living in a van and gets some incorrect information and a lecture in boating.

My favourite contribution is "Op if you are seriously prepared to live in a van, with all that, that entails, then I'd point you more in the direction of a boat and living on the canals."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057783088&page=6 is an excellent example of what I'm talking about. She asked about living in a van and gets some incorrect information and a lecture in boating.

My favourite contribution is "Op if you are seriously prepared to live in a van, with all that, that entails, then I'd point you more in the direction of a boat and living on the canals."

The problem with that thread to be fair is she posted it in a forum obsessed with property ownership, in a country where "getting on the ladder" and paying a mortgage for the rest of your life is essential for "success".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The lovely Kate has invited us all for a spud based breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

People have strong opinions about potatoes and parsnips it would seem. My advice is to make some soup out of both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

You left out the bit about Muslim feminists from north Korea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Add a sprinkle of Travellers, a pinch of dole-bashing and c'est fin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?

None.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Noveight wrote: »
    Add a sprinkle of Travellers, a pinch of dole-bashing and c'est fin.

Don't tell me that lot stole the spuds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

In Latvia, it is considered bad manners to eat Potatoe in front of Homeless person :pac:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
Advertisement