Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this how boards works now?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭vegetables

I keep seeing threads that work like this...

Question: I have planted potatoes and I'm looking for a way to store them once they're ready to be dug up. It needs to be mouse-proof and preferably airtight. Any suggestions?

Answer: Why didn't you plant parsnips? They're nicer and you'd get a higher yield.
    Answer: Don't use a spade to dig them up, use a fork.
    Answer: Use poison to stop the mice from eating them.
    Answer: Put them in a container.
    Answer: You don't need somewhere to store them. What you need to do is invest in a commercial deep-fryer and make cast quantities of artisan crisps. Sell the crisps at festivals.
    Answer: Don't use a fork to dig them up, use a shovel.
    Answer: You're an amateur, you shouldn't have been allowed near a garden.
    Answer: Shovels and spades are best.
    Answer: The most important thing about growing potatoes is to watch out for blight.
    Answer: Have you considered storing them in some sort of container? That's what we do and it works.
    Answer: Don't bother storing them. It makes more sense to get a stall at a farmers' market and sell them there. I have thirty years' experience in farmers' markets, I know what I'm talking about.
    Answer: OP, use a fork to dig them up and then store them somewhere safe. This is what you need. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackson-Elements-Digging-Fork/dp/B002W6YYUM.
    Answer: Seriously OP, you need to stop wasting your time with potatoes. Parsnips are the solution to your problem. You get a better price at farmers' markets for parsnips.

I have had some really excellent advice from boards too, from people who know what they're talking about, but that somehow makes the useless stuff
    more annoying.

Thats how boards has always worked.

That and the other old favorite that goes something like this.

Q: I'm tired of xyz, should we maybe change this. What does everyone think.

A: (from some legal genius) the law says xyz is allowed.

Well yes, maybe it does, thats why theres a bit that asked should we make changes. You know, in the future.
    That was the entire reasoning behind the question, to measure public opinion for change.
    Not to simply restate the present condition.

Question: Should I take this hat off my head.
    Boards answer: The hat is on your head.

Question: Would you like sugar in your tea.
    Boards answer: There is no sugar in my tea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 UwanthelpCT

Safe space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Massive Tupperware containers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Were you expecting a turnip for the books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RebelHeart1981

Irish and their potatoes.

Shpuds, the food of life. I love them.

You can do a lot with a few good spuds :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

You need qualifications to do that, where are you based so one of my boards buddies who has qualifications coming out his arse can screw you. ( Typical boards answer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Boards is nonsense, but I love it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

vegetables wrote: »

Q: I'm tired of xyz, should we maybe change this. What does everyone think.

A: (from some legal genius) the law says xyz is allowed.

Well yes, maybe it does, thats why theres a bit that asked should we make changes. You know, in the future.
    That was the entire reasoning behind the question, to measure public opinion for change.
    Not to simply restate the present condition.

Question: Should I take this hat off my head.
    Boards answer: The hat is on your head.

Question: Would you like sugar in your tea.
    Boards answer: There is no sugar in my tea.

or something like:

Q: Should I take this hat off my head

A: Well OP, ive lived in ireland all my life and never wore a hat. I have many close friends and talked to loads of strangers who think hats are stupid. What are you even doing with a hat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

White carrots are so much better, White Power and everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭shoegal1

haha, a hape a shpuds and a bitta craic. What more do ya need?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I'm generally on the side of what on earth would you expect asking AH a question about the storage of potatoes. May as well ask us for insightful opinions on nuclear physics (you'll get opinions alright, but probably not insightful ones).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

When you've spent ten minutes looking at the intellectual diarrhoea that passes for "live chat" on YouTube, it's nice to come back to AfterHours for something that resemebles sanity. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There's fierce money in silage contracting, so there is, but the startup costs are horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Samaris wrote: »
    I'm generally on the side of what on earth would you expect asking AH a question about the storage of potatoes. May as well ask us for insightful opinions on nuclear physics (you'll get opinions alright, but probably not insightful ones).

I think that's very insulting.

Some of us know quite a lot about spuds, whether we wanted to learn it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

sugarman wrote: »
    I remember joining "boards" to join Quake servers and the rest of this was all fields.

Why did you come back then and re-register in 2007?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Zascar wrote: »
    This thread is a perfect example of how After Hours works. Almost every reply is utter gibberish.

With some notable exceptions. Most of what I post is pure gold to be fair. :D

Winterlong wrote: »
    With some notable exceptions. Most of what I post is pure gold to be fair. :D

You want to complain?? Look at these shoes. I've only had them three weeks and the heels are worn right through. If you complain nothing happens, you might as well not bother. Oh my back hurts, it's not a very fine day and I'm sick and tired of this office. <SLAM>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well in fairness, the madness is by far preferable to the bitterness and negativity you'll get on other forums here on Boards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well in fairness if your irish and dont know how to plant spuds correctly you should be deported, or if you ask said question in AH then you should be shot to the moon :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

This thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057783088&page=6 is an excellent example of what I'm talking about. She asked about living in a van and gets some incorrect information and a lecture in boating.

People were pointing out, in a very civil manner, for the most part, that her idea wasn't very well thought out.

It's a discussion forum, not a positive reinforcement, 'Hope Ur OK Hun xxxx' forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Thanks OP now all the ads Reddit keeps showing me are for gardening forks :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Vegeta wrote: »
    Thanks OP now all the ads Reddit keeps showing me are for gardening forks :pac:

UBlock ftw :) I've finally started to get the hang of Reddit myself, though it's a bit mad that it's far more usable on a small phone screen than a full Desktop (even with RES installed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

My OH used to grow potatoes she had them in xxx containers she got from that shop thats closed now.

Tasted lovely mashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

...__... wrote: »
    My OH used to grow potatoes she had them in xxx containers she got from that shop thats closed now.

Tasted lovely mashed.

I have to admit.. never really been a big fan of spuds.. unless in chip form.

But then I don't really like tea either (more a coffee fan)

Am I even Irish? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Sweet potatoes are where it's at. Potatoes are sooooo last year.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I have to admit.. never really been a big fan of spuds.. unless in chip form.

But then I don't really like tea either (more a coffee fan)

Am I even Irish? :p

Wery suspect, your Grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I think that's very insulting.

Some of us know quite a lot about spuds, whether we wanted to learn it or not.

Honorable exceptions aside, ofc!

jimgoose wrote: »
    There's fierce money in silage contracting, so there is, but the startup costs are horrendous.

But are you qualified to handle grass? Where are you based, I'm super qualified and can do it for a fee, I'll bump it up and give you a discount on account of you being a fellow boardsie... Check for all my thanks from all my super qualified boards buddies....

jca wrote: »
    But are you qualified to handle grass? Where are you based, I'm super qualified and can do it for a fee, I'll bump it up and give you a discount on account of you being a fellow boardsie... Check for all my thanks from all my super qualified boards buddies....

Are you smoking your product?

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »

Unless you can change the clutch in a 1978 Caterpillar D9 using a fire-shovel and a Vise-Grip, you can sod off. I won't have no woman around the place so badly-got.

Are you smoking your product?

No way, I feed it to my high horse using a pitch fork.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Unless you can change the clutch in a 1978 Caterpillar D9 using a fire-shovel and a Vise-Grip, you can sod off. I won't have no woman around the place so badly-got.

Vise-Grip? Lightweight... I've done it using a bicycle spanner!! P.s. I'm over qualified and better than everyone else on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Question
    Help there's a lion in my house and he's trying to kill me. Please help, what should I do ? I can hear him coming up the stairs! I don't want to die.

Answer
    What kind of lion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Question
    Help there's a lion in my house and he's trying to kill me. Please help, what should I do ? I can hear him coming up the stairs! I don't want to die.

Answer
    What kind of lion?

If it's a sea lion or a dandy lion I'd say you should be OK. Stop being such a snowflake.

Question

Answer
    What kind of lion?

Is it on the dole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Was it not always like that? There's also the thing where of it started off about potatoes, by page four it'll be about one of the same five or six topics. Specifically what those topics are may occasionally change, but at least 80% of discussion must be about them at all times. There was a time when a potato thread would definitely have had a post along the lines of "the ridiculous thing there's a sinister fringe in this country who think you should water those potatoes in FREE WATER! Never worked a day in their stupid scobey lives!" and then the next post would be someone calling them a fascist.

Trump has filled broadly the same space/function now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I remember a ranty article about spuds on the Irish leaving cert syllabus. What is wrong with us?

Summary: all ****e except Kerr Pinks and here's why.

Advertisement