Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Hurricane Irma

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest recon showed SLP of 930mb and winds of <110kt.

https://twitter.com/UKWeatherLive/status/906658071480557573

getting very scary on this cam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNCwj35OwmI

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Latest recon showed SLP of 930mb and winds of <110kt.

https://twitter.com/UKWeatherLive/status/906658071480557573

I hope the reporters there two hours ago are well away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Noise level of the wind is definitely up a few decimals https://youtu.be/hGD1byu7gJc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭pauldry

zerks wrote: »
    CNN going with it pushing West right through the Keys and hugging the coast of Florida as it then pushes North.They are expecting it to strengthen as it moves away from Cuba.

Its still not turning though so could miss key west and slap tampa in the face!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watching the weather channel and they are saying the eye wall has started to regenerate as it slowly moves away from Cuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just to lighten the mood a little, don't a lot of Americans have silly first names?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Recon showing surface winds (10-second peak) below 95 knots now (borderline Cat-2), with flight level winds (~2600 m) around 105 knots. Yet the NHC have it still at 110 knots/125 mph surface winds (1-minute average).
    SUMMARY OF 700 PM EDT...2300 UTC...INFORMATION
    LOCATION...23.4N 80.8W
    ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM SE OF KEY WEST FLORIDA
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...125 MPH...205 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 295 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...932 MB...27.52 INCHES

427512.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latest pressure just measured at 930.4 hPa by the Mission 27 recon aircraft at 23:06Z.

Here are their last four reports:

18:30Z - 937.1 hPa
    20:06Z - 933.1 hPa
    21:43Z - 931.3 hPa
    23:06Z - 930.4 hPa

The rate of deepening has slowed down.

The center has still not managed to fully free itself from the Cuba coast yet. You'd have to expect a rapid deepening once it gets out over the open water.

GFS going for explosive deepening.

We'll see...

Was there much coverage of it from Cuba, didn't see much on TV?
    Nothing like the coverage from all the other islands.

As someone who visited Cuba a few years back, I would fear for many of the residents I seen, they lived in poorly constructed homes, and a lot in what amounted to shacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

NIMAN wrote: »

As someone who visited Cuba a few years back, I would fear for many of the residents I seen, they lived in poorly constructed homes, and a lot in what amounted to shacks.

I've been thinking the same. Maybe we'll hear more as it moves marginally closer to Havana given how far west it has tracked. It's been hitting a (relatively speaking) sparsely populated area. Doesn't bode well for those parts however as you say. I think wind speed near Havana now up to 70 kph.

Marathon's winds now slowly increasing. Sustained up to 43 knots now.
    SPECI KMTH 092344Z AUTO 06043G55KT 2SM RA BR FEW020 BKN027 OVC034 26/26 A2932 RMK AO2 PK WND 06058/2333 P0006 T02610256
    SPECI KMTH 092333Z AUTO 06042G58KT 3SM -RA BR SCT020 BKN027 OVC036 27/26 A2932 RMK AO2 PK WND 06058/2333 P0005 T02670256
    SPECI KMTH 092317Z AUTO 05042G51KT 1 3/4SM -RA BR FEW016 BKN027 OVC032 27/26 A2933 RMK AO2 PK WND 05054/2307 P0004 T02670261
    SPECI KMTH 092304Z AUTO 06039G53KT 1SM RA BR FEW014 SCT021 OVC032 26/26 A2934 RMK AO2 PK WND 05053/2254 P0003 T02610256

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Cuba only really got a glancing blow relatively speaking, being on the south-west of the eye.

Jake1 wrote: »
    getting very scary on this cam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNCwj35OwmI

Had this on last 20 minutes and in that time it has really deteriorated.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/09/hurricane-irma-leaves-cuba-in-ruins/#15

some pictures

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There were a few updates on the BBC didn't look great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

CNN now showing damage there. Communication not great from there hence the delay

CNN showing Cuba footage. Serious damage there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Many Broadway Live Cams videos now down on YouTube sadly :(

Edit : Back now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Was watching a video from CBS Miami with evacuees being interviewed as they left last night/this morning after the police were told to evacuate. Lots of very upset people at having left family who refused to go and are instead in packed shelters in schools that they aren't confident will survive the hurricane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭traco

Here's hoping my buddies hunkered down in Naples make it through OK. Just off the phone with them and spirits good so fingers crossed. Just outside evacuation zone which is now approx 2 miles inland.

Looking like full impact now Sunday am into Naples. Lots of tornado watches in place on east coast.

Storm surge the big risk now. From my limited knowledge it would seem like an early landfall as in between Everglades city and Miami would be best case scenario as it would reduce surge somewhat. Winds would be higher but modern construction probably better able to cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

looking worse at key west:

ABC showing Cuba now, fairly devastating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,049 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Seems all the people have been told it would go up east side of Florida, so they fled to Tampa, looks like Tampa is the bulls eye. What a fcuk up.

These apartments still have power on yet face inundation

MJohnston wrote: »
    Cuba only really got a glancing blow relatively speaking, being on the south-west of the eye.

If you call recorded gusts of 159 mph at an inland location just a glancing blow then fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If you call recorded gusts of 159 mph at an inland location just a glancing blow then fine.

Compared to what the rest of the track is getting hit with, I would. I did say "relatively".

I hope I'm wrong but I reckon the keys are going to get completely obliterated.

I hope I'm wrong but I reckon the keys are going to get completely obliterated.

I suppose no-one really knows, but if it comes anywhere near the level of destruction that is being talked about, you would have to fear for all those who decided to remain behind and ride it out.

Death toll from this might be a lot higher than from the Caribbean islands?

And makes you wonder about all the reporters standing around the areas on CNN, ABC, etc. Do we really need them to be there? Risking their lives potentially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I feel so bad for this man and his family/friends. I posted his story a few days ago as he had interesting tales to tell re: surviving Hurricane Andrew in the past, and a bit of a scary incident in the present of being robbed of tools by a desperate citizen.
    So he was all prepared, ready to hunker down---and then his area was added to the mandatory evac zone yesterday. UGH!
    Now he has to leave, I can't imagine the stress all these people are already having to endure :(
    Let me be clear. It is impossible to hunker down near the coast in SWFL with 15′ of storm surge. It is understandable the mandatory evacuations would be expanded. Shelters are filling as fast as they can open. –Local News Link– This is the largest mass movement of people in South Florida History.

This morning we’ve been transporting people with pets inland. Desperate people. Well prepared people. Almost everyone was/is prepared for the 130+ MPH possible wind damage; but there’s no way to prepare for 15′ of water above ground level.

If these storm surge projections hold true, we are on the cusp of witnessing history. These coastal areas, and some even miles inland, have never seen anything like this. Florida Governor Rick Scott promises there will be enough shelters for the new influx of evacuees from the areas. These are massive and widespread population centers all along the West coast of Florida.

My prayers for everyone. Remain calm.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2017/09/09/fubar-almost-a-million-more-hurricane-evacuations-ordered-for-west-florida/

Advertisement