Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Hurricane Irma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭traco

Its not looking good for the west coast of Florida now.

The shift west again is not helpful, that and the slow speed its moving at will magnify the storm surge. The only hope they have now is for Irma to weaken and pick up speed. Any drop in wind speed and increase in pressure would be very welcome.

Looks like ETA Naples will be around 2200 Irish time and guessing Tampa Monday morning. I'm not sure of the storm surge specifics but think the worst could be 10 - 20 hours after main impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

That guy on the boat is a lunatic! He has just made clear that he is not stupid and he hasn't put himself in a life or death situation....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Live feed from the local ABC affiliate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Guns don't kill people,idiots do."Shoot it with guns and flamethrowers", there are some really dumb people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Armed troops have had to be sent to the British Virgin Islands to back up local police due to lawlessness and looting.The place is wrecked and scumbags just want to steal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I was so damn sure that that thread was just a pisstake (about shooting Irma). Nope, apparently there are people that bonkers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

zerks wrote: »
    Guns don't kill people,idiots do."Shoot it with guns and flamethrowers", there are some really dumb people out there.

You wouldn’t like Irma when she’s angry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Ocean Heat Content is very much reducing now along the forecast path, down to below the critical 50 kJ/cm2 just past the Keys. That, plus the large landmass to the east, plus the increasing shear will really weaken it before making landfall.

2017AL11_OHCNFCST_201709100600.GIF

• Advertisement

She's only mildly irritated at the moment.

In a way, I'm a little worried about what might happen if Irma isn't destructive. If she had dropped to a Cat3, I would be fearful of people deciding "oh, it was all pushed out of proportion by the biased media (a la Rush Limbaugh), won't bother listening to the next one" and then Jose (or something following) flattening the place.

I suppose it's always possible with large-scale, mostly-well-organised emergency plans though. There is the risk of nothing much happening and people then deriding the precautions.

This is absolutely borrowing trouble though, since a) it looks like it is already hammering south Florida and b) better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

350,000 in Florida already without power with transformers exploding.

Between Hurricane force winds, up 500mm of rain and Storm surge of up to 3 meters possible, this is going to cause serious damage, don't be deluded by thinking a CAT 3 or even CAT 2 means it won't be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Samaris wrote: »
    She's only mildly irritated at the moment.

In a way, I'm a little worried about what might happen if Irma isn't destructive. If she had dropped to a Cat3, I would be fearful of people deciding "oh, it was all pushed out of proportion by the biased media (a la Rush Limbaugh), won't bother listening to the next one" and then Jose (or something following) flattening the place.

I suppose it's always possible with large-scale, mostly-well-organised emergency plans though. There is the risk of nothing much happening and people then deriding the precautions.

This is absolutely borrowing trouble though, since a) it looks like it is already hammering south Florida and b) better safe than sorry.

American media always hype and sensationalise everything out of all proportion, Gaoth Laidirs excellent updates are showing the real picture of whats happening which is likely a weakening cat 3 storm at landfall. Still bad obviously and still worthy of evacuation but not 'worst storm in history' as the media are portraying it as

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

American media always hype and sensationalise everything out of all proportion, Gaoth Laidirs excellent updates are showing the real picture of whats happening which is likely a weakening cat 3 storm at landfall. Still bad obviously and still worthy of evacuation but not 'worst storm in history' as the media are portraying it as

This "overhyping" label really bothers me - people like to throw it out to seem aloof and intelligent, but in all honesty it just makes them sound ignorant.

Villain wrote: »
    350,000 in Florida already without power with transformers exploding.

Between Hurricane force winds, up 500mm of rain and up to Storm surge of up to 3 meters possible, this is going to cause serious damage, don't be deluded by thinking a CAT 3 or even CAT 2 means it won't be serious.

Yes, you're right on that, and it was poor phrasing on my part. More just that Irma has been a category 5 which absolutely caught peoples' attention. Given her slow head for Florida, there's been plenty of time for people to dwell on it and worry. But there's been a spread in a sort of mindset to ignore the experts, what do they know. If all the warnings and alarm regarding Irma falls flat at all, god knows what it will do (however unfairly) to peoples trust in forecasting for emergencies. Hopefully people do know that hurricanes aren't easy to forecast far ahead and there are a lot of variables. Just common sense appears in remarkably short supply of late.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Samaris wrote: »
    Hopefully people do know that hurricanes aren't easy to forecast far ahead and there are a lot of variables.

They don't, is the problem, hence we get a lot of ignorance with people calling things overhyped. Education systems the world over don't teach people who to examine scientific data and understand probabilistic outcomes - they don't understand that when media talk about the worst case scenarios of storms, they're not just hyping, they're talking about an outcome that has a high probability of happening. But then, if it doesn't happen, they don't understand and write off scientists and weather experts. We see it all the time on this weather forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

All the experts have been right. This is an absolute monster.

Is he actually sheltering beside a *petrol station*? I suppose it might be nearly empty, but then if I remember right, that's when they're at their most dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

NHC

NORTHERN EYEWALL OF HURRICANE #IRMA REACHES THE LOWER FLORIDA KEYS. EYE IS 15 MILES SOUTHEAST OF KEY WEST.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

one more hour and the fun really starts.
    its cool watching the live steams on youtube.

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/906836364586635264

Reports also of a larger eyewall appearing. Inner eye on the N end of the large eye

59Eiwta.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyone with access to MSNBC it seems to be superior to the rest of the news channels atm, very detailed and an awful lot of reporters on the ground.

God bless those over the next 48 hours across Florida, by the looks of it this storm will cause unprecedented destruction with the storm surge.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just watching CNN and the rain is really coming down in miami.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Some of the footage is unreal. How you'd imagine the blast off a nuclear device. And yet many many idiots stayed in place. Morons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

So this is the first time in recorded history that 2 CAT4 hurricanes have made landfall on the US mainland in the one season?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I was watching live coverage from Florida earlier where it was still dark and I'm amazed that there is no lightning in a storm of this magnitude?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Latest IR loop:

hu2.gif

Closing in, though a bit of a speed wobble still evident.

New Moon

Advertisement