Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Hurricane Irma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

LastLagoon wrote: »
    I'm upgrading this CNN Naples guy to a category 5 knob. What a preening gob****e.
    He's a yank, this is what they do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It's funny that he's just standing there in the middle of the street asking the meteorologist in the studio what's gonna happen next.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I wouldn't call Key West landfall. I think all along landfall has been taken as somewhere along the west mainland coast.

The US networks did as they mentioned the record of two CAT4 hitting in one season over and over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jaycornyn

So on CNN currently are they in the eye? Do you think those people walking around think its over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I wouldn't call Key West landfall. I think all along landfall has been taken as somewhere along the west mainland coast.

Just curious, I'm following this thread with interest.

Is there any reason why in most of your posts you seem to imply that the hurricane is not as strong as people are saying?

Are the news stations etc sensationalising it?

It certainly seems extremely powerful and dangerous to me so just curious as to why you seem to be downplaying the strength of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

CNN saying it is now down to Cat 2.

Christ MSNBC showing a downtown Miami video from today with about 4 feet of a surge passing by windows/doors over the level of the floor - absolute madness that they stayed standing behind the glass!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

https://twitter.com/stormtimelapse/status/906985877687107589

This is before most of the storm surge too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

irishfeen wrote: »
    Christ MSNBC showing a downtown Miami video from today with about 4 feet of a surge passing by windows/doors over the level of the floor - absolute madness that they stayed standing behind the glass!

People are stupid shocker.

Latest from NHC, giving it a 100-knot intensity on landfall at Marco Island. That's just barely a Cat 3.
    Hurricane Irma Discussion Number 47
    NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL112017
    500 PM EDT Sun Sep 10 2017

Irma made landfall a couple of hours ago near Marco Island, Florida with an estimated intensity of 100 kt. The eye just passed over Naples, and assuming some decay over land, the current intensity estimate is 95 kt. The interaction with the Florida Peninsula along with strong southwesterly shear should cause significant weakening, but Irma's large and powerful circulation will likely maintain hurricane strength until Monday morning at the earliest. Irma should be well inland and weaken to a remnant low in 72 hours. The official intensity forecast is above the model consensus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

irishfeen wrote: »

If it's hurricane-proofed glass, it takes firefighters an hour to smash through it with an axe - the buildings in Florida that are fully up to code are very well protected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sky news reporting 3 dead after landfall in Florida

If it's hurricane-proofed glass, it takes firefighters an hour to smash through it with an axe - the buildings in Florida that are fully up to code are very well protected
    You are almost certainly right but still when you see the video you will realise how dangerous it is... I for one would not be trusting it!

Monster storm. All the major forecasts where right.

Water in Naples has risen 5 1/2 ft over past hour according to MSNBC.. now at ground level, expecting another 6ft over next hour!

Scary stuff!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Massive damage on the Keys according to the Miami Herald

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

PaulKK wrote: »

Is there any reason why in most of your posts you seem to imply that the hurricane is not as strong as people are saying?

It certainly seems extremely powerful and dangerous to me so just curious as to why you seem to be downplaying the strength of it.

I'd hazard a guess. Ego. Some think they know more than the national hurricane centre and if things don't work out the way they said it would, like to seek out anything other than say they were wrong. For god sake I saw one post suggest it was barely storm force when winds were hitting over 140 mph. :D

Follow the official feeds. The rest here is just some fun/ amateurs chiming in from 5000 miles away , myself included :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

BumperD wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess. Ego. Some think they know more than the national hurricane centre and if things don't work out the way they said it would, like to seek out anything other than say they were wrong. For god sake I saw one post suggest it was barely storm force when winds were hitting over 140 mph. :D

Follow the official feeds. The rest here is just some fun/ amateurs chiming in from 5000 miles away , myself included :pac:

Thanks,

I see reference to him saying its 'barely' a cat 3.

Seems a bizarre thing to say personally when the damage that is being caused is life changing for many people.

Anybody know how the US networks upload live pictures with 120+ mph winds around them? Surely satellite uplinks are impossible through the rain and thunderstorms?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Latest NHC has Irma at Cat. 2 (110 mph).

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Good footage on CNN to be fair. the crane in the background has shifted position , the surge will begin soon.

Stheno wrote: »
    Massive damage on the Keys according to the Miami Herald

Yeap that's where it made landfall as a strong Cat 4. That's going to brutal for them.

NBC saying 23 confirmed deaths :(

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-live-coverage-of-hurricane-irma-1040645699733

ok, this may be hoax (grrr) cant see it anywhere now, but it was written on their screen

Jake1 wrote: »

God knows what the numbers will be in Cuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Thanks,

I see reference to him saying its 'barely' a cat 3.

Seems a bizarre thing to say personally when the damage that is being caused is life changing for many people.

Anyone hit by this today or within the last week will be left with physical damage and a lot more. An assault on the body as well as the mind even at Cat 2 or 3 it will leave a huge clean up. I really pity those on the islands out east, they have to rebuild everything, there is no mainland to escape to. It leaves a big scar for those people but they will rebuild. They have too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Seeing reports of a surge of 15 feet expected

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what 'Cat' the storm is, or what structure it is etc as these are just technicalities used by pedants such as Met professionals and amateurs like us. What really matters is how storms like these affect people and the societies they live in.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    God knows what the numbers will be in Cuba.

Cuba being basically run by the military and a bit of a police state has a different handle on evacuations.

Mandatory there means mandatory and the whole thing gets planned and organised in a military fashion...the end result usually is no to very minimal casualties.

Plus they have a lot more experience with hurricanes and apply lessons learned on a nationwide scale and don't leave it to local councils or private individuals.

The data on Thursday and Friday were not showing the intensity that the NHC were quoting. I gave umpteen examples. I think this overstatement was probably to err on the high side to aid the evacuation, and it seems to have been effective.

In the last day or so, when most of the evacuation was already done, they returned to quoting intensities more in line with the data. They've now stated it was a low Cat-3 on landfall, which is pretty much what it looked like it would be all along imo.

My comment about storm force was purely based on looking at the images on CNN at that time, which was before the eyewall reached them. All hell broke loose after that.

• Advertisement

BumperD wrote: »

I didn't say that. Check again.

Advertisement