Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Hurricane Irma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Water John wrote: »
    Jose just upgraded to Hurricane 1. It's on a similar path.

Hearing unconfirmed reports that TS Katia has just been upgraded to a Cat 1 storm now too. IF true, that will be 3 Atlantic hurricanes on the go at the same time.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Don't worry, we may have Gale Aileen to worry about, possibly upgraded to Strong Gale Aileen :);)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Minimum Central Pressure down to 914mb, max sustained winds still 295km/h 185mph (remaining a Category five storm for this length is remarkable) moving WNW at 26km/h about 85km ENE of San Juan.
    NHC advisory 31
    Still forecast to weaken, it just hasn't done that yet.
    Miami is a serious potential concern now. Potentially starting Saturday with impacts with forecast for Hurricane Irma to be close to it Sunday.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Don't worry, we may have Gale Aileen to worry about, possibly upgraded to Strong Gale Aileen :);)

When I think of the name 'Aileen', the first thing that comes into my head is a nice sweet cup of tea in a small white cup and two plain digestive biscuits.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Image from approx 30 mins ago. Looking like the eyewall section of the storm will stay offshore of Puerto Rico.

427229.png

It's right over Richard Branson's private island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Look at how the moisture has wrapped around the system in the past two days, excluding the dry intrusions (green) and increasing precipitable water to around 75 mm. That plus OCH now above 100 kJ/cm² from now to Florida. Savage.

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/products/tc_realtime/loop.asp?product=16kmtpwp&storm_identifier=AL112017&starting_image=2017AL11_16KMTPWP_201708301341.GIF&ending_image=2017AL11_16KMTPWP_201709061346.GIF

2017AL11_OHCNFCST_201709061800.GIF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

It's right over Richard Branson's private island.

So not a total disaster then.

Hurricane Katia now confirmed:

"The NHC said that tropical storm Katia in the southwestern Gulf of Mexico had also become a Category One hurricane.
    It said a hurricane watch was in effect for the coast of the Mexican state of Veracruz where heavy rainfall could be expected"

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/36991819/tropical-storms-jose-katia-upgraded-to-hurricane-status/

New Moon

Look at how the moisture has wrapped around the system in the past two days, excluding the dry intrusions (green) and increasing precipitable water to around 75 mm. That plus OCH now above 100 kJ/cm² from now to Florida. Savage.

Latest ECM going for a Cat 4, poss Cat 5 hit for Florida later this coming weekend.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭traco

Update from weather channel after NHC update at 1700 US or 2200 Irish.
    No major changes, still heading towards US and anticipated to impact as a 4 if not a 5. Once it hits Florida it will speed up or so it seems.

Sorry about the interrupt at the end of the first vid, too much competition for the WiFi at home with the kids

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

90% of the structures in barbuda have been destroyed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus this hurricane has done some damage. Sorry if this has been asked but what category hurricane is it predicted to be when it gets to Florida ?

Looking at all suggestions now this could be something we'll remember for years with the damage it's caused.

The poor Carribbean nations won't deal with this well, they may need some significant assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jesus this hurricane has done some damage. Sorry if this has been asked but what category hurricane is it predicted to be when it gets to Florida ?

Either 4 or 5, not expected to weaken much at all over the coming days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

From what I've heard, they are expecting C5.

If Jose hits as expected, I'm not sure how the Carribbean nations will ever recover.
    Even if they rebuild, tourism is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Either 4 or 5, not expected to weaken much at all over the coming days

So basically Florida could be in for a serious shunt the weekend coming ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

So basically Florida could be in for a serious shunt the weekend coming ?

Yep and the storm will likely stay cat 4 right through the state, not downgrading to cat3 till it gets to Georgia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

If Jose hits as expected, I'm not sure how the Carribbean nations will ever recover.

They will recover and they will rebuild

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Hope this reaches +200mph.

Edited to correct hop to hope

• Registered Users Posts: 29,330 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

moneymad wrote: »
    Hop this reaches +200mph.

If that's meant to read "hope this reaches" - why on earth would you wish even more destruction on those places than they're already experiencing? Just so you can watch on the internet? Jesus I despair sometimes.

:confused:

(if that's not what you meant, then apologies, but I fear it was)

Why is tourism finished? Completely disagree with you here and think you're borderline scaremongering.

Is tourism finished in Thailand? Weren't they absolutely devastated by a Tsunami, which not only offered near no warning, killed thousands and thousands more people than this hurricane will?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If that's meant to read "hope this reaches" - why on earth would you wish even more destruction on those places than they're already experiencing? Just so you can watch on the internet? Jesus I despair sometimes.

That is what it looks like.

I play an online game with a group of people, one is from Florida and he is stressed out that his home will be destroyed and then one comes here and reads what appears to be a hope it strengthens.
    Agree with your sentiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I like the power of nature. This hurricane is epic. Come on 200mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You are one sick person I cant believe you have posted this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

We don't wish harm on those in the way of natures power so we can be entertained,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

RobertKK wrote: »
    That is what it looks like.

I play an online game with a group of people, one is from Florida and he is stressed out that his home will be destroyed and then one comes here and reads what appears to be a hope it strengthens.
    Agree with your sentiments.

But this isn't facebook where the majority of posts are useless "thoughts and prayers". If the worst does happen at least it will provide science with extremely valuable data to save lives in the future.

Advertisement