Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Windows 7 copy isn't genuine - Then PC won't restart

Options
  • 03-09-2017 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Today my PC showed a message that read "Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not genuine".
    The desktop was originally blue but it was black when I switched the PC on today. I restarted the PC, but after the BIOS boot the monitor stayed completely black with only the white cursor flashing top left.
    The copy of Win7 that I have was purchased some 5 years ago, was licensed and got all the updates until a few weeks ago, so I don't understand what's happened.
    Any idea on what caused this issue? A virus? And how to restore the PC that now isn't starting anymore? Is there anything I can do? Do I have to change or replace anything?
    Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Do you still have the licence key?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Call them and they will give you a 20 digit code and instructions on where to enter it.

Its oddly efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

degsie wrote: »
    Do you still have the licence key?
    Yes, I do have the licence key and the original DVD. But how can I enter that key if the PC won't start anymore?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Call them and they will give you a 20 digit code and instructions on where to enter it.

Its oddly efficient.
    Would it work even if the PC won't start and I have a blank screen? How could I enter any code when the system isn't responding?

Try starting in safe mode

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Try starting in safe mode
    Thanks degsie, I'll try this later today and let you know.
    Is there anything else I must do afterwards? Once the PC starts in safe mode what other steps do I have to do?

Thanks degsie, I'll try this later today and let you know.
    Is there anything else I must do afterwards? Once the PC starts in safe mode what other steps do I have to do?

Run virus scanner and 'sfc /scannow'.

Advertisement