Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited Broadband - Why do you push this message but yet cap at 1TB

Options
  • 03-09-2017 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi Eir,

Your website pushes everywhere that you provide unlimited broadband, yet its capped at 1TB in T&C's.
    I had the 1000mb Extreme Unlimited FTTH installed Saturday two weeks ago. 

My stats reset on the 1st of Sept. 

Now between a few Netflix 4k movies/shows, 1 Sky Movies on demand, 1 Xbox One game, probably 6 hours total youtube time, 2 PC's receiving Windows updates and games updates and web browsing for 3 users (2 adults and 1 child) we have already reached a Combined Download + Upload to date this month: 128.012 GB which is for 3 days.

There are 27 days remaining in the month and based on the usage we will probably hit the 1TB limited in 18 days time.

Look at these snippets.
    KSWEXDx.png
    6HpUS6f.png
    CVBQcg3.png

This just screams money making scheme.

eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to
    maximum of €100(Inc.VAT) per month. 

Like don't forget, when streaming services see your connection ability (download speed) they are naturally going to offer the best quality available. ie, YouTube. 
    AOvw6jR
    Questions.
    1) Why would you offer 1000mb Extreme Unlimited FTTH but yet cap it at 1TB?

2) When are you going to actually offer Unlimited broadband or a fair usage limited that actually makes sense on a 1000MB Extreme FTTH connection?

3) Why do you advertise that FTTH has "Absolutely no usage limits" when you say you do in the T&C's
    TL916UA.png

When I took out this 1000mb Extream Unlimited package I based all my information on this screen. ITS A LIE

You have misled me and god only knows how many more customers.

Please update my account to have the "Absolutely no usage limits" applied as this is what I purchased.

You can DM me for my account number if required.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

[font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]This is a concern if accurate. Usage limits are not something I have considered for years. Have just changed to Eir, I know we will easily hit more thatn 1TB per month [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Probably far closer to 2TB[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

Hi, Can I get a response, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

raydator wrote: »
    Hi Eir,

Your website pushes everywhere that you provide unlimited broadband, yet its capped at 1TB in T&C's.

Now between a few Netflix 4k movies/shows, 1 Sky Movies on demand, 1 Xbox One game, probably 6 hours total youtube time, 2 PC's receiving Windows updates and games updates and web browsing for 3 users (2 adults and 1 child) we have already reached a Combined Download + Upload to date this month: 128.012 GB which is for 3 days.

There are 27 days remaining in the month and based on the usage we will probably hit the 1TB limited in 18 days time.

Look at these snippets.
    KSWEXDx.png
    6HpUS6f.png
    CVBQcg3.png

eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to

Like don't forget, when streaming services see your connection ability (download speed) they are naturally going to offer the best quality available. ie, YouTube. 
    AOvw6jR
    Questions.

2) When are you going to actually offer Unlimited broadband or a fair usage limited that actually makes sense on a 1000MB Extreme FTTH connection?

3) Why do you advertise that FTTH has "Absolutely no usage limits" when you say you do in the T&C's
    TL916UA.png

When I took out this 1000mb Extream Unlimited package I based all my information on this screen. ITS A LIE

Please update my account to have the "Absolutely no usage limits" applied as this is what I purchased.

Hi raydator,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm afraid we do have a fair usage limit of 1TB on our broadband and, if you exceed this limit, the charges that you incur would be valid. 

I'm afraid we don't have any plans in place to remove our fair usage limit on our broadband service. If any changes are made to this service you will be notified. 

I will pass your feedback about this on to the relevant department, however, the onus is on the customer to read the terms and conditions of the contract which are available online prior to, or after signing up.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused by this.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

It's definitely false advertising so. The advert saying "Absolutely no usage limits", when they do have one. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hi OP, if you're on a contract you probably have grounds to get out of it as Eir do state that there are "absolutely no usage limits". Plenty of other viable options out there.

• Advertisement

Its a sham

My 2 week cooling off ended a couple of days ago, so I am stuck for a year

Just for everyone to note, SKY do not have usage limits on their unlimited broadband. I am deeply regretting my decision to change

I'd Eir won't accept you wanting to leave the contract you could see if the small claims court could cover things.

I would reasonably expect Eir to have fair usage limits but their phrase "absolutely no usage limits" would obviously change my expectation. I think the product you purchased is not as described.

The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 would be your friend here

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1980/act/16/enacted/en/html

eir: Adam wrote: »
    I will pass your feedback about this on to the relevant department, however, the onus is on the customer to read the terms and conditions of the contract which are available online prior to, or after signing up.
    But Why should I have to refer to the T&C's when it clearly states "Absolutely no usage limits"?

That's like renting a car with "unlimited mileage" and then being told later you can only do so many miles a day or they will charge you more!

If I buy a 99'Icecream, I don't expect to be told after it's been handed to me that I can't eat the cone.

You're saying one thing on one hand and then another on the other hand.

I think this is a case for The Advertising Standards Authority.

I'd Eir won't accept you wanting to leave the contract you could see if the small claims court could cover things.

I would reasonably expect Eir to have fair usage limits but their phrase "absolutely no usage limits" would obviously change my expectation. I think the product you purchased is not as described.

The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 would be your friend here

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1980/act/16/enacted/en/html
    Thanks for the information Alondra Green Sender.

That's just layman's advise by the way, I'm no legal professional. They are right that you should have read the T+C's but that phrase on the website is so definite in its language I can see why you wouldn't even have considered a fair usage cap then.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

That's just layman's advise by the way, I'm no legal professional. They are right that you should have read the T+C's but that phrase on the website is so definite in its language I can see why you wouldn't even have considered a fair usage cap then.

Good luck.
    Yes, I understood that. 

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JAMCAR

You will find alot of broadband providers, are 1TB, I'm with Vodafone and they say unlimited, but its 1TB fair usage, as well, I Think sky and Virgin Media offers real unlimited,

JAMCAR wrote: »
    You will find alot of broadband providers,  are 1TB, I'm with Vodafone and they say unlimited, but its 1TB fair usage, as well,  I Think sky and Virgin Media offers real unlimited,
    Hi Jamcer,

Yes, that is fair enough, however, when it's being sold as "Absolutely no usage limits", why would the customer then expect to have a fair usage cap applied to the account?

What does Absolutely mean! 

[font=arial, sans-serif]adverb[/font]
    1. 1.
      with no qualification, restriction, or limitation; totally.

"she trusted him absolutely"
    synonyms:
    completelytotallyutterlyperfectlyentirelywhollyfullyquitethoroughlyunreservedlyMore

[*]

The term "Absolutely no usage limits" implies that there is no restriction.
    By putting a fair usage of 1TB, you are restricting customers from exceeding the 1TB if they do not wish to be charged additional fees. This, therefore, impeeds my ability to use the "Absolutely no usage limits" aspect of this service.

The fact people are even saying "real unlimited" is funny

As opposed to fake unlimited. 

Eir just mark it clearly and nobody would give out, albeit I would never have signed up

I totally agree with you, its false advertising

Has anyone ever contacted
    ComReg,about this it would be interesting to see what they have to say

JAMCAR wrote: »
    Has anyone ever contacted
    ComReg,about this it would be interesting to see what they have to say

They say it's a case for the advertising authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Eir have a duty of care to their customers and potential customers.  Advertising a product as unlimited and then putting a limit in the T&C's is a disgraceful practice and one of the main reasons I wont even price them when shopping for a provider.

They are smart enough that they will not peruse you for charges if you threaten legal action, they do not want this advertised.  They are very happy with the current situation, they can use the term unlimited in all advertisements and then just put a limit into the T&C's where they know the average customer wont look.  

I have no problem with a BB provider placing a limit on their service, 24/7 streaming of HD content could effect neighboring customers on slower lines, so having a limit is justifiable, but advertising something as unlimited and then sneaking a limit into the T&C's is not justifiable.    

Senna wrote: »
    I have no problem with a BB provider placing a limit on their service, 24/7 streaming of HD content could effect neighboring customers on slower lines, so having a limit is justifiable, but advertising something as unlimited and then sneaking a limit into the T&C's is not justifiable.    
    In relation to the other customers on slower lines, this is "Fibre to the home" which does not suffer the same issues like copper does. So contention and bandwidth limits because 10 house in your area uses the same line does not apply.

But back to the point, your 100% right, "advertising something as unlimited and then sneaking a limit into the T&C's is not justifiable"

Hi Eir,

Look at these snippets.
    KSWEXDx.png
    6HpUS6f.png
    CVBQcg3.png

AOvw6jR
    Questions.

TL916UA.png

Hi raydator,

I'm afraid we do have a fair usage limit of 1TB on our broadband and, if you exceed this limit, the charges that you incur would be valid. 

I'm afraid we don't have any plans in place to remove our fair usage limit on our broadband service. If any changes are made to this service you will be notified. 

- Adam
    Adam,

Can you please explain what Eir means by "Absolutely no usage limits" so that I can better understand where I and many others went wrong?

Ray.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sky and Virgin Media are totally unlimited. Westnet who resell Eir's services are also totally unlimited.

It is false advertising saying absolutely no limits when there clearly is a 1tb data cap and excess charges after that. Having a 1tb data cap across all FTTC and FTTH speed plans is not very realistic when you consider how easily you can hit that cap on a 150-1000 meg connection compared to a 7-100 meg connection, especially when a family of 4 is involved. 

If Eir are never going to bin their fair usage policy, at least offer fair usage policys that reflect the different speed plans or at least give customers the option of having a higher fair usage policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Yes, I understood that. 

ASA are on the case. Expect news shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭swoofer

Well this post is a very useful coincidence.  I just got a text message advising me that my next bill is running unusually high, keep an eye on usage to avoid increasing your bill or potential disconnection" WTF!!  I thought I had unlimited!!  Where does it say 1TB?? As I doubt I would get to that.  I have been away so downloaded a few episodes.  How do we know eir actually count the data correctly?

I then went to my eir account and it said temporarily closed. ie I cant check

And there was I thinking eir had improved from the dark ages.

I have the FTTH as above.

I bet the ASA give them an out clause. Got back in and saw usage
    Total Downloads to date this month: 12323 MB (12.034 GB)
    Total Uploads to date this month: 647 MB (0.632 GB)
    Combined Download + Upload to date this month: 12970 MB (12.666 GB)
    Product Allowance: Unlimited
    Last usage recording date/time: 2017-09-04 17:43:47

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

garroff wrote: »
    ASA are on the case. Expect news shortly.

Do you think this is the first time it's been reported? I've reported it myself and nothing is done, it has been going on for years, the wording might change but unlimited has been used when in reality they have a cap.
    if it was a small coffee shop who said unlimited refills and said 10 max in the small print, the shop would be fined, but Eir are screwing customers nationwide and of course the ASAI do absolutely nothing.

Never felt so conned before

My usage is over 160gb in 4 days. I'm screwed basically

cooling off period ended on Thursday just gone. Just want to get out of my contract

R.F. wrote: »
    Never felt so conned before

My usage is over 160gb in 4 days. I'm screwed basically

cooling off period ended on Thursday just gone. Just want to get out of my contract

Combined Download + Upload to date this month: 159116 MB (155.388 GB)

Last usage recording date/time:  2017-09-04 19:19:47

That's 4 days mate, 2 adults 1 child.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

Hi raydator,

- Adam
    If you sign-up for the EirVision package as part of FTTH how does Eir differentiate this data from other activity?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cornet wrote: »
    Hi raydator,

- Adam
    If you sign-up for the EirVision package as part of FTTH how does Eir differentiate this data from other activity?
    EirVision does not effect the monthly cap as that is a tv service.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gonzo wrote: »
    Hi raydator,

- Adam
    EirVision does not effect the monthly cap as that is a tv service.

Just to explain this a bit:

TV Traffic: Comes from the local fibre aggregator through your local cabinet over multicast 
    All other Traffic: Comes from your line operators network through a tunnel 

In essence the OLO (Eir, Vodafone) don't even get the chance to count it, theyd have to get the modem to report it back to them if they were bothered (they aren't).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I know other companies use 'Unlimited' and then apply a limit despite what unlimited means. But in this case Eir are actually claiming not to have a usage limit and then applying one.

Was going to switch from Virgin but hearing so many bad things about Eir lately. Their customer service is atrocious too. The answers given in this thread and the one where the guys email was hacked. They must have been told not to engage with customers as their answers are basically "There's nothing we can do".

Advertisement