Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited Broadband - Why do you push this message but yet cap at 1TB

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

A few years ago O2 had a similar advertising campaign. I complained to the Advertising Authority, as did a lot of others, and they had to scrap the advertising. It is ludicrous now what Eir are trying to pull with this nonsense. I'd suggest getting ads many people as possible complaining, in writing, about these adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

It even says in their T&Cs table that it's unlimited. Until you read the tiny print at the bottom.

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/.content/pdf/terms/Part3.1.pdf

That's from this page

https://www.eir.ie/termsandconditions/

and clicking on Broadband general terms & conditions.

Doesn't seem to have a limit on the regular broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JAMCAR

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea listing the companys, that, give you the full unlimited, usage, I for one, am out of contract next month with Vodafone, and was thinking of moving to Eir, don't think so now

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

I stupidly also signed up for a new SIM only plan with EIR last week just after I got my account number

It is for €20 a month. But saw yesterday we are being billed €25 per month

My wife was onto them this morning and the agent claimed it is because we were existing customers that it was €25. We have now had to send them a screen shot of the offer to show them what it should be

Who are we dealing with here?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

Letter from Advertising standards authority

https://imgur.com/a/EOXRJ

The ball is rolling......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

raydator wrote: »
    eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi Eir,

Your website pushes everywhere that you provide unlimited broadband, yet its capped at 1TB in T&C's.
    I had the 1000mb Extreme Unlimited FTTH installed Saturday two weeks ago. 

My stats reset on the 1st of Sept. 

Now between a few Netflix 4k movies/shows, 1 Sky Movies on demand, 1 Xbox One game, probably 6 hours total youtube time, 2 PC's receiving Windows updates and games updates and web browsing for 3 users (2 adults and 1 child) we have already reached a Combined Download + Upload to date this month: 128.012 GB which is for 3 days.

There are 27 days remaining in the month and based on the usage we will probably hit the 1TB limited in 18 days time.

Look at these snippets.
    KSWEXDx.png
    6HpUS6f.png
    CVBQcg3.png

This just screams money making scheme.

eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to
    maximum of €100(Inc.VAT) per month. 

Like don't forget, when streaming services see your connection ability (download speed) they are naturally going to offer the best quality available. ie, YouTube. 
    AOvw6jR
    Questions.
    1) Why would you offer 1000mb Extreme Unlimited FTTH but yet cap it at 1TB?

2) When are you going to actually offer Unlimited broadband or a fair usage limited that actually makes sense on a 1000MB Extreme FTTH connection?

3) Why do you advertise that FTTH has "Absolutely no usage limits" when you say you do in the T&C's
    TL916UA.png

When I took out this 1000mb Extream Unlimited package I based all my information on this screen. ITS A LIE

You have misled me and god only knows how many more customers.

Please update my account to have the "Absolutely no usage limits" applied as this is what I purchased.

You can DM me for my account number if required.

Hi raydator,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm afraid we do have a fair usage limit of 1TB on our broadband and, if you exceed this limit, the charges that you incur would be valid. 

I'm afraid we don't have any plans in place to remove our fair usage limit on our broadband service. If any changes are made to this service you will be notified. 

I will pass your feedback about this on to the relevant department, however, the onus is on the customer to read the terms and conditions of the contract which are available online prior to, or after signing up.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused by this.

- Adam
    Adam,

Can you please explain what Eir means by "Absolutely no usage limits" so that I can better understand where I and many others went wrong?

Ray.
    I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to give you any further information on this Ray. I completely understand your frustration here, however, our fair usage limit is noted in our terms and conditions.

- Adam

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to give you any further information on this Ray. I completely understand your frustration here, however, our fair usage limit is noted in our terms and conditions.

- Adam

Who can give us the information on what Eir means by "absolutely no usage limit"?

Is it a secret?

Is it your policy not to answer when the question is directed at the "absolutely no usage limit" reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Has the ASAI already investigated this and just basically told Eir to 'stop that, don't do it again' ?
    http://www.asai.ie/complaint/telecommunications-41/

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Has the ASAI already investigated this and just basically told Eir to 'stop that, don't do it again' ?
    http://www.asai.ie/complaint/telecommunications-41/

Looks like your right with the link!

Another example of Eir's audacity - not responding to ASAI complaint.

And response to this thread that customers should have read the small print. It's not unreasonable for ordinary Joe to expect "absolutely unlimited" when it is advertised in big flashing lights on a website by national utility provider. The ordinary Joe might be inclined to read the contract small print if he was signing contract with some Chinese dodgy service provider but this is Eir. Most expect better!

I knew about FUP limit despite misleading advertising but doesn't change the poor show and arrogance by Eir here and with ASAI.

Btw the FUP for FTTH is not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Shows how powerless and inadequate the ASAI are, Eir don't even respond, ignore the ruling and continue to advertise using the same terms.

Even if they are powerless, how can they stand over statements like "There should be a link between the headline ‘Unlimited’ claim and the reference to the FUP".

How about you cannot use the term unlimited when there is a ****ing limit, how can advertising agencies redefine the English language and get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

This wording can't go on. "Absolutely no usage limits". It brings the industry into further disrepute. You'd certainly get satisfaction in the courts as regards breaking your contract, I would think.

For the company to respond with "read the T&Cs mate" is disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

There is no limit to your usage.
    You just have to pay more when you exceed 1TB.
    You're not cut off, it just costs more.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    There is no limit to your usage.
    You just have to pay more when you exceed 1TB.
    You're not cut off, it just costs more.

The term "Absolutely no usage limits" implies that there is no restriction.
    By putting a fair usage of 1TB, you are restricting customers from exceeding the 1TB if they do not wish to be charged additional fees. This, therefore, impeeds my ability to use the "Absolutely no usage limits" aspect of this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's time these companies were told to drop the use of the word unlimited, and have to put 1tb as the limit in the advert.

It'll not make their marketing sound as sexy, but at least it's the truth.

Is any other industry allowed to blatantly lie on their advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I had this argument with the ASAI a good few years back, it was O2 that were advertised unlimited and then a 15gb limit on their mobile data plan.
    The ASAI were completely without power and basically said they agree with the company who can justify it as most people won't ever get to 15gb on a mobile connection, I showed them usage of 15gb in one day but they said I was very unusual and no one should be using that must bandwidth in a day.
    They flat out avoided answering why is it in the consumers interest to call something unlimited when there clearly is a limit, I reminded them they worked for the consumer, not the company adverting the product, they just ignored me in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

I'm afraid we do have a fair usage limit of 1TB on our broadband and, if you exceed this limit, the charges that you incur would be valid. 

They certainly would not be valid charges. Any court in the land would rule against you.

You cannot bury a clause in the fineprint that completely changes the nature of a contract. It's either unlimited or it isn't.

There are also laws against misleading advertising. Sure, "1TB usage limit" wouldn't have the same ring, esp not to someone who doesn't know what a TB is. And "very high usage limit" doesn't have quite the same ring. But your marketing people, legal people and general manager of customer service need to get together and make a very important decision: stop lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Seems all their staff are trained to say the same thing

Firstly, that nobody ever exceeds the 1TB cap,which is simply untrue.

Also that when you mention competitors they also try and claim they have the same policy. This is 100% not true

Sky have no cap whatsoever and you can get that in writing from them if anyone wants to check.

I have a decision to make now, And I reckon it will be to pay the €250 to get out of the contract and go back to sky. Does anyone know if this process is difficult?

- Adam

Who can give us the information on what Eir means by "absolutely no usage limit"?

Is it a secret?

Is it your policy not to answer when the question is directed at the "absolutely no usage limit" reference?
    Unfortunately, nobody would be able to give you more information on this, Ray as it is up to the customer to be aware of the terms and conditions involved in their contract prior to agreeing to it. 

I am sorry that I can not give you more information on this.

- Adam

These responses are an absolute joke! "nobody would be able to give you more information on this".

So "absolutely no usage limit" is placed on your advert/website and approved by someone in Eir, but yet nobody in Eir would be able to provide more information on the statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I have (thankfully) not been a customer of Eir for the past 3 years.

But I see their corporate policy of giving two fingers to their customers still exists. Their attitude and responses on here beggars belief.

• Advertisement

These responses are an absolute joke! "nobody would be able to give you more information on this".

So "absolutely no usage limit" is placed on your advert/website and approved by someone in Eir, but yet nobody in Eir would be able to provide more information on the statement.
    Sorry I can't give you more information here, Ray. If you go onto our website, you can see that our usage policy is stated on our main page for broadband as well as in the terms and conditions.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/

If you scroll to the bottom of this page and click on 'Products explained - broadband & phone' you should be able to see where this is outlined.

- Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

Let's make possible!
    Like changing the meaning of the words "absolutely" and "unlimited".
    Like increasing the level of contempt shown to customers to levels previously unseen.
    Like sticking two fingers to ComReg, the ASAI and the CCPC.

Can I ask can I be in charge of your next rebranding exercise when you've successfully trashed the Eir brand like you did the Eircom and Telecom Eireann brands of past?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

[font=arial, sans-serif]Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. ... "When I use a [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]word[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]means[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] just what I choose it to [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]mean[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]- neither more nor less." "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]words mean[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] so many different things."[/font]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Looking at my stats for 6 days of September its saying ive downloaded 80GB and uploaded 84 GB i mean what the **** is this ****?
    All ive done was watch 2 episodes of bloodlines on Netfilx and the young lad watched 2 of The shooter on netflix, can you explain where this crazy figure was pulled form please?

Sorry I can't give you more information here, Ray. If you go onto our website, you can see that our usage policy is stated on our main page for broadband as well as in the terms and conditions.

If you scroll to the bottom of this page and click on 'Products explained - broadband & phone' you should be able to see where this is outlined.

- Adam
    Let break this down from the link you provided!.

See highlighted.
    2lFEZv2.png
    2lFEZv2
    Now, "scroll to the bottom of this page and click on 'Products explained"

Unlimited broadband means you and your whole family can shop, stream and download as much as you like and not worry about exceeding a usage limit. Subject to a fair usage cap, don’t worry the usage cap will cover even the largest family.

"as much as you like and not worry about exceeding a usage limit" But yet the very next line Subject to a fair usage cap!. 

What formula did you use to calculate the cap to cover even the "largest family"

Where customer usage exceeds the specified monthly download/upload limit appropriate to the customer's chosen level, the company reserves the right to charge the customer for the excess use or to request the customer to select a more appropriate level. In the event of a customer refusing or neglecting to select an appropriate level, eir may upon due notice terminate the provision of the facility to the customer. 

OK, so what are the more appropriate levels?

A more appropriate level for the 1000MB Extreme has to be greater than 1TB for my current/projected usage.

So what more appropriate levels can I select from?
    2lFEZv2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

- Adam

Buddy, you are doing yourself or your company no favours here. Stop digging and put the shovel down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RyGaR

I have received a bill for August for 182.21 Euro from Eir. Apparently I have downloaded over 1.2TB which I have been charged through the roof for because of a fair usage policy that has been introduced. Also the bill states that my bundle was 89 Euro.....I know nothing about this bundle or the fair usage policy....I have banging my head off the wall trying to understand how we would use this amount as we don't stream or download much, bar from a few updates for game etc.....I have rang Eir and their telling me it's my lads Xbox that's doing it....I just don't get it. Also it's the sixth day of September and Eir stats at dslstats.eir.ie is telling me we have used 89Gig!!! I am at a loss here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

JAMCAR wrote:
    You will find alot of broadband providers, are 1TB, I'm with Vodafone and they say unlimited, but its 1TB fair usage, as well, I Think sky and Virgin Media offers real unlimited,

VM do it right. They have unlimited but simply say that fair usage applicability reflects possible negative effects. I.e. they still only apply it if other customers are affected, which is actually fair.
    KeRbDoG wrote:

That appears to be just about the t&c's not being obvious. Not about false advertising, which is what this thread is about.
    eir: Adam wrote:

Ray, can you stop dodging the question which is why are you advertising Absolutely unlimited. When clearly this is not the case.

I'd advise anyone who is overcharged to take a claim to the scc for the excess. Let's see how far being misleading gets them.

RyGaR wrote: »
    I have received a bill for August for 182.21 Euro from Eir. Apparently I have downloaded over 1.2TB which I have been charged through the roof for because of a fair usage policy that has been introduced. Also the bill states that my bundle was 89 Euro.....I know nothing about this bundle or the fair usage policy....I have banging my head off the wall trying to understand how we would use this amount as we don't stream or download much, bar from a few updates for game etc.....I have rang Eir and their telling me it's my lads Xbox that's doing it....I just don't get it. Also it's the sixth day of September and Eir stats at dslstats.eir.ie is telling me we have used 89Gig!!! I am at a loss here.....
    Sure this in only 5.5 days worth of family usage.
    cvcN8eI.png

• Advertisement

VM do it right. They have unlimited but simply say that fair usage applicability reflects possible negative effects. I.e. they still only apply it if other customers are affected, which is actually fair.

That appears to be just about the t&c's not being obvious. Not about false advertising, which is what this thread is about.

Ray, can you stop dodging the question which is why are you advertising Absolutely unlimited.  When clearly this is not the case.

I'd advise anyone who is overcharged to take a claim to the scc for the excess. Let's see how far being misleading gets them.
    I'm sure your referring to Eir: Adam and not Ray(Raydator) :):D

Advertisement