Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited Broadband - Why do you push this message but yet cap at 1TB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Would you take out a mortgage with TSB, k owing you will get 2% cash back based on their current advertisement campaign with out reading the fine print?

The answer to this is logically a NO unless the person is really clueless about what they getting into or ignorant of the T's & C's.

At the end of the day it does not matter if you are getting a mortgage or car loan or even a phone/fibre contract. You are entering into a LEGALLY BINDING AGREEMENT of which both Eir as a provider and "You" as the consumer/benefited party and have certain responsibilities for.

If the provider does not adhere to the terms of contract such as grossly overcharging and taking money from your account outside of say a system issue, then you have recourse to challenge and get compensated. Equally the consumer/benefited party has a responsibility to understand the terms of the contract and meet their obligations.

These are always found In the terms and conditions section and anyone who does not spend the short while at minimum to quickly go over them, has no one to blame but themselves if they fail to understand consequences of going outside contracted terms.

Also Eir as a provider is not responsible for how customers choose to use their contracted entitlement (within legal obligations) such as Netflix and others streaming services. Again it is the consumer who is at fault for not understanding the effect of using those services and how they may affect current contractual agreements with fibre provider.

At the end of the day it's the consumers responsibilty to educate themselves on what they getting involved with.

And I have no sympathy for anyone here complaining if they have not done anything for themselves to help them understand their rights and obligations.

You quoted me but did you not read the part where I said people should read the T&C? Obviously they should. But my point was that Eir advertise one thing but negate it in the small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

chris_ie wrote: »
    You quoted me but did you not read the part where I said people should read the T&C? Obviously they do. But my point was that Eir advertise one thing but negate it in the small print.

Point I was illustrating is on one hand you say you agree with t's and c's, however on other hand you come across as you disagree due to advertising done by Eir.

I made the tsb comparison to show that t's and c's are equally important no matter which service you avail of regardless of bank or fibre.

In principle we are agreed from t's and c's concern. However with advertising you always check fine print no matter how flashy an advertisement is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Point I was illustrating is on one hand you say you agree with t's and c's, however on other hand you come across as you disagree due to advertising done by Eir.

I made the tsb comparison to show that t's and c's are equally important no matter which service you avail of regardless of bank or fibre.

In principle we are agreed from t's and c's concern. However with advertising you always check fine print no matter how flashy an advertisement is.

Yeah. I agree with your point. T&Cs always matter and should always be checked. I'd never get into a contract without checking them.

I disagree with Eirs advertising, not their T&Cs. If they didn't advertise unlimited, the T&Cs are fine. If they advertised "Up to 1TB a month", their advert is fine. I'm not an Eir customer, but I just hate misleading/false adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Precisely!
    I agree that Eir are billing people according to their Ts&Cs, so it would be difficult to take them on in a court of law on that basis.

But their advertising is blatant lying! It's against agreed advertising standards to dupe someone in to buying something by making them think it's something that it isn't. You can't advertise a food product in a supermarket as having "Absoultely NO fat!" to encourage someone looking for low-fat products to buy it and then in the small print nutritional info on the back say it is actually 15% fat.

So while Eir might be legally OK to charge you for going over 1TB as per their Ts&Cs, which you've agreed (even if you didn't read them), it is absolutely NOT acceptable to advertise it as something which is negated by their own Ts&Cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Looks fine, 1024MB in a GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

maximoose wrote: »
    Looks fine, 1024MB in a GB
    doh, will now delete my post 

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Good job eir now i cant even check my usage as im temporarily locked out of my account, wtf?

Dcully wrote: »
    Good job eir now i cant even check my usage as im temporarily locked out of my account, wtf?
    same happen to me. Try again in a  while

Doesnt always seem to recognise email or password

Also cant log in on my ipad but can on the PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

It would seem like Eir is making a good healthy profit!

[font=Lato, sans-serif]"Eir has announced a €24m increase in operating profits to €505m in the year to June – that’s up 5% on the previous year[/font]"

So, I wonder how much is coming from the FUP charge and new customers based on false advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 grimgriefer

I signed up with Eir for fibre broadband but am so glad I left within my cooling off period for Sky. What really got my goat was the 1TB limit wasn't even just for downloads but for combined download and upload data. I tried to explain in a previous post on boards.ie called "Fair Usage Policy - Is it Combined Upload/Download or Just Download" that even with regular fibre and not FTTH these days that is being optimistic. We live in a world of large data os / game patches, game install sizes and people streaming on Twitch, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter etc but Eir still want their extra pound of flesh.

Left for Sky for 12 months at half the price of Eir (didn't want the TV packages) and have had no issues with Steam downloads peaking at 9.6mb/s.

Unfortunately we are the minority right now but eventually Eir will be forced to adapt. No doubt upping their fair use limits to something pedantic like 1.25TB per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

eir were in my local Supervalu store today trying to signup customers.  Big poster board behind him with "UNLIMITED" standing out above all else.

He saw me reading and asked who was I with, i said Virgin Media, then asked the usual; how much are you paying etc.

I asked about the Unlimited, he stated I could download as much as I want, i said are you sure about that, he then said so long as you don't exceed 1TB.  How's that Unlimited I said.  Totally evaded the answer by asking another question about how much I would I actually use.

Typical.

Be on the look out in your Supervalu stores over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Add me to the list of people who's household usage seems to have mysteriously sky-rocketed since getting FTTH.
    We've only had it a month, so our habits haven't yet changed dramatically from before, when we only had 1.7MB ADSL, apart from a couple of game updates.

What I notice is that since we now have high speed, any of the usual apps we sometimes use (YouTube, RTE Player etc.) are streaming everything at much higher quality, which must be why our monthly usage is now 8x what it was before :eek:

In the past 2 weeks we've used 10% of our monthly 1TB limit, but like I say, that's not having changed our limited usage habits by much. Once we start using things like Sky On Demand and Netflix in anger, I image we would very quickly approach the monthly limit. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gwynston wrote: »
    Add me to the list of people who's household usage seems to have mysteriously sky-rocketed since getting FTTH.
    We've only had it a month, so our habits haven't yet changed dramatically from before, when we only had 1.7MB ADSL, apart from a couple of game updates.

What I notice is that since we now have high speed, any of the usual apps we sometimes use (YouTube, RTE Player etc.) are streaming everything at much higher quality, which must be why our monthly usage is now 8x what it was before :eek:

In the past 2 weeks we've used 10% of our monthly 1TB limit, but like I say, that's not having changed our limited usage habits by much. Once we start using things like Sky On Demand and Netflix in anger, I image we would very quickly approach the monthly limit. :(
    yep, using the internet in every day circumstances with an FTTH connection will use way more data than if you were doing the same tasks on a slow ADSL connection. All videos will automatically play at 1080p or higher if available, compared to 360p/480p/720p on a slow connection. The jump in data usage between a low quality stream and a full HD stream is massive.

This shouldn't be an issue at all, afterall the whole point of having an FTTH connection is to stream in high quality without buffering. Lowering video quality to save on data limits just completely defeats the purpose. A HD stream on Netflix at 1080p uses roughly 3 gigs of data per hour per device. A lower quality stream on your old connection would have only used at most a few 100 megabytes if even that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

0% PCP finance where you buy a car from our show room from Sept 1st through to Sept 9th*.

T&C apply

* PCP is 0% over the phone only, walk ins are 2.9%. You must walk in to buy the car, over the phone purchases are not allowed for the period Sept 1st through to Septh 9th.

Think about it^^^ 

Are we to say that this is in the spirit of advertising ethics?

The above situation is comparable to this person gripe with Eir. advertise 0% PCP, when in fact you cannot get 0% PCP as the T&C direct prevent this from happening. The T&C isn't a small print, the T&C literally directly conflicts with the headline advertisement.

Posters saying they don't have any sympathy are being silly for the sake of argument.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This is more critical to me now. I lost a 4TB HDD at the weekend as it developed faults (despite it only being brand new thank you Toshiba). When I get a repair/replacement sent out I need to redownload about 1.5TB of the HDD back. Spreading the downloads out at 500gb/month for 3 months is obviously not viable.

So:
    - I've notified you in advance I intend to break this absurd 1TB limit.
    - When will you fix T&C or advertising on your page for 'Unlimited' broadband when I've got in this situation where I will heavily download...?

If I don't get an answer other than 'I dunno nothing we can do' I'll simply reject the DD if the bill is staggeringly high.

End of this contract cant some soon enough. I'm actually first time Eir customer since November last year, and while the first 6 months have generally been good, some slow speeds and now this baloney has just put me right off renewing/staying with you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Everytime i try to check my usage my eir dashboard is down, how do eir expect people to keep tabs on things?

Then again keep it down theres a loophole right there, eir as always inept to the extreme cant even sustain a reliable usage meter for users.

7 hours later i can log in but 30 mins later i cannot login.

Also i cannot log in consistently and reliably to the eir study hub, what sort of  inept bunch are eir?

Happens to me too

The eir app basically doesn't work at all, I can usually get in on my lap top but using the browser on iPad is touch and go

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

R.F. wrote: »
    Happens to me too

The eir app basically doesn't work at all, I can usually get in on my lap top but using the browser on iPad is touch and go

Same here.

They do make it difficult in every way

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Same here.

They do make it difficult in every way
    I assume as with most things from Eir, it's not their product at fault. It's you, the user, that's using it incorrectly!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is more critical to me now. I lost a 4TB HDD at the weekend as it developed faults (despite it only being brand new thank you Toshiba). When I get a repair/replacement sent out I need to redownload about 1.5TB of the HDD back. Spreading the downloads out at 500gb/month for 3 months is obviously not viable.

So:
    - When will you fix T&C or advertising on your page for 'Unlimited' broadband when I've got in this situation where I will heavily download...?

If I don't get an answer other than 'I dunno nothing we can do' I'll simply reject the DD if the bill is staggeringly high.

End of this contract cant some soon enough. I'm actually first time Eir customer since November last year, and while the first 6 months have generally been good, some slow speeds and now this baloney has just put me right off renewing/staying with you.
    you will most likely be billed 100 euros extra for re downloading 1.5tb of the HDD. Best thing to do for now is to find a friend who has Sky Fibre or Virgin Media and download it there and bring it home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Gonzo wrote: »

So:

you will most likely be billed 100 euros extra for re downloading 1.5tb of the HDD. Best thing to do for now is to find a friend who has Sky Fibre or Virgin Media and download it there and bring it home.
    It's quite sad that in this day and age, this is the most sufficient alternative option.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Its pure false advertising, if they say it on promo that it has "absolutely no limits" then they cannot say a fair usage applies as it is a legal contradiction and wont stand up in court if they look to bill you. 

Sky fibre adverts on TV now say in print at the bottom of the ads that there is no data limits/fair usage policy's on their unlimited fiber product.

Ok, how much would you pay on top of the €75(FTTH 1000MB broadband and VOIP) to get a 2TB usage and also that after 2TB your speed is only reduced instead of additional charges?

Do you think €89 would be OK?

If, on the FTTH 1000, FTTH 300 or FTTH 150 services, you were to exceed 2TB total data usage in any calendar month (that is combined upload and download data figures) then your connection would be slowed to 15% of your maximum speeds for the remainder of that calendar month.

Letter sent to the independent.

[font=arial, sans-serif]Hi Charlie,[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I have just read your article "Elderly will have to pay more as Eir raises its prices for 500,000".[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]How about doing an article in relation to Eir's selling tactics and advertising?[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Eir have feet on the ground selling their new FTTH service as an unlimited package.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]They also state on their website "Absolutely no usage limits" when buying their FTTH service online, see this link, https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]You can find a whole thread on Boards.ie here, http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057783247 with a fuller picture of what they are up to.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]What they don't tell the customer is that a fair usage policy(FUP) applies to these packages, despite the working of "Absolutely no usage limits" and "Unlimited" being plastered all over there website.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Customers are finding out the hard way that a FUP applies to all or Eir's broadband packages when they in some cases find an additional charge of €100 on top on their bill. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]maximum of €100(Inc.VAT) per month." [/font]
    [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=arial, sans-serif]The normal response from Eir in relation to the [/font][/font]"Absolutely no usage limits" [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=arial, sans-serif]is "[/font][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I will pass your feedback about this on to the relevant department[/font]"
    [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]
    How many customers have been affected by this? 

How can they claim to deliver "Unlimited Fibre to the Home Broadband. Ireland's Fastest Broadband with unlimited usage." when clearly there is a limit? 

This must be classed as false advertising? 

We need to keep highlighting the topic!

[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

raydator wrote: »
    Letter sent to the independent.

[font=arial, sans-serif]Hi Charlie,[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I have just read your article "Elderly will have to pay more as Eir raises its prices for 500,000".[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]How about doing an article in relation to Eir's selling tactics and advertising?[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Eir have feet on the ground selling their new FTTH service as an unlimited package.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]They also state on their website "Absolutely no usage limits" when buying their FTTH service online, see this link, https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]You can find a whole thread on Boards.ie here, http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057783247 with a fuller picture of what they are up to.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]What they don't tell the customer is that a fair usage policy(FUP) applies to these packages, despite the working of "Absolutely no usage limits" and "Unlimited" being plastered all over there website.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Customers are finding out the hard way that a FUP applies to all or Eir's broadband packages when they in some cases find an additional charge of €100 on top on their bill. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]maximum of €100(Inc.VAT) per month." [/font]
    [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=arial, sans-serif]The normal response from Eir in relation to the [/font][/font]"Absolutely no usage limits" [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=arial, sans-serif]is "[/font][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I will pass your feedback about this on to the relevant department[/font]"
    [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]
    How many customers have been affected by this? 

How can they claim to deliver "Unlimited Fibre to the Home Broadband. Ireland's Fastest Broadband with unlimited usage." when clearly there is a limit? 

This must be classed as false advertising? 

We need to keep highlighting the topic!

[/font]

In fairness Charlie does respond to emails.

Jobs OXO wrote: »

Thanks Ray,
    I will look at that.
    Charlie

Charlie Weston
    Personal Finance Editor
    The Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

raydator wrote: »
    Jobs OXO wrote: »

Thanks Ray,
    I will look at that.
    Charlie

Charlie Weston
    Personal Finance Editor
    The Irish Independent

Excellent!

Another aspect that may be worth communicating to Charlie is the incompatibility of product vs. FUP.

Extreme Fibre speeds but with modern demands using e.g 7GB/hr for ultra 4K Netflix, family of 4 children and 2 adults streaming to personnel devices eats up fup quick! Some examples of this to his readers would resonate.

Almost 700gb with a week left. My replacement drive has arrived and the downloading has commenced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭pmce4

be sure to let us know if you do get charged extra.

Advertisement