Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited Broadband - Why do you push this message but yet cap at 1TB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's time to call Joe Duffy!

Get Eir on the show to answer for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

raydator wrote: »
    I'm sure your referring to Eir: Adam and not Ray(Raydator) :):D

Ray - bring this to Joe Duffy

He's your man. Watch the eir team prick their ears, modify their arrogance and tone down their resentment of valid customer issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

Liveline has been contacted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

This is getting interesting! Eir sales people called to our door recently and were fairly pushy. Thankfully we said no thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

raydator wrote:
    They say it's a case for the advertising authority.

Advertising Authority would be allowing over this. They would impose large fines against eir imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Because I have now become basically obsessed with internet usage over the past couple of days, I’m interested in seeing exactly who in the household is using the most (it’s probably me in fairness)

It is the F2000 router, can anyone tell me how I might do this? Obviously I can see the total amount on Eir’s website, but this is cumulative. I want to see a breakdown if possible

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Originally posted by raydator
    They say it's a case for the advertising authority.

Advertising Authority would be allowing over this. They would impose large fines against eir imo
    It's already sent in.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/104589179

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

R.F. wrote: »
    Because I have now become basically obsessed with internet usage over the past couple of days, I’m interested in seeing exactly who in the household is using the most (it’s probably me in fairness)

It is the F2000 router, can anyone tell me how I might do this? Obviously I can see the total amount on Eir’s website, but this is cumulative. I want to see a breakdown if possible

this might be of use (its Free):

BitMeter 2:
    https://codebox.net/pages/bitmeter2

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ozanam

Thankfully when I was shopping around for broadband recently I asked the question of the sales guy.. when you say unlimited what does it mean because these days unlimited means nothing anymore.

I told me it was 1TB, I laughed and that was the end of the conversation. I wont even consider them anymore. I hate that cr*p and bull they try and pull. 

I went with Virgin in the end where they say in there T&C's unlimited means unlimited. no caps, no limits, no charges. 

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Honestly in this day and age 1TB is miniscule for a standard household. Over the summer I've had to keep an eye on my usage after I discovered this T&C a few months ago. I'm just riding out my contract at this stage and fecking off elsewhere.

Netflix for 1 hr in HD can take up to 3GB and 7GB in UHD. Lot of people watch TV online these days too (myself included) topped with games even boxed come with massive Day 1 downloads without options.

To have 1TB fair usage is just primitive.

• Advertisement

Honestly in this day and age 1TB is miniscule for a standard household. Over the summer I've had to keep an eye on my usage after I discovered this T&C a few months ago. I'm just riding out my contract at this stage and fecking off elsewhere.

Netflix for 1 hr in HD can take up to 3GB and 7GB in UHD. Lot of people watch TV online these days too (myself included) topped with games even boxed come with massive Day 1 downloads without options.

To have 1TB fair usage is just primitive.
    They are taking the pi*s. I guarantee that most of the 1000mb users have exceeded the 1TB usage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

back about 10 years ago i worked for a well known broadband company in the UK.  We were taught in training to always tell the truth on calls.

But as I found out there was the 'truth' and then the companies 'truth'.  From reading all these threads on Eir over the years I can see nothing has changed in certain broadband companies.

Damn shame we don't have something as good as BBC Watchdog, would love to see Eir feature on an episode.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eir's FTTH rollout is great and the product works really well, but this unfair 'fair usage policy' is not fit for purpose. With this FTTH rollout being rolled out to more homes every week, this is gonna become a bigger problem as more customers jump on board. The 1tb fair usage policy is grand for those on ADSL and the lower speeds of Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) customers but is way off the mark for FTTH customers who have proper fibre connections.

Regular Netflix 4k streaming is not possible with a 1tb limit. Multiple HD streams in a family situation on a regular basis will also eat through this fair usage policy.

Add to this those who download games regularly, backup their data to cloud servers, what about those who want to upload/stream to youtube regularly in addition to normal family usage/mobile wifi.

Most Eir broadband products have 1tb fair usage policy applied, except in legacy ADSL situations, and this one size fits all fair usage policy simply does not fit or meet the demands of the product or different customer usage patterns.

I really hope Eir see sense and address this issue, this Fair usage policy is taking the good out of what is otherwise a terrific product and service.

eir: Adam wrote: »
    These responses are an absolute joke! "nobody would be able to give you more information on this".

So "absolutely no usage limit" is placed on your advert/website and approved by someone in Eir, but yet nobody in Eir would be able to provide more information on the statement.
    Sorry I can't give you more information here, Ray. If you go onto our website, you can see that our usage policy is stated on our main page for broadband as well as in the terms and conditions.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/

If you scroll to the bottom of this page and click on 'Products explained - broadband & phone' you should be able to see where this is outlined.

- Adam
    Let break this down from the link you provided!.

See highlighted.
    2lFEZv2.png
    2lFEZv2
    Now, "scroll to the bottom of this page and click on 'Products explained"

Unlimited broadband means you and your whole family can shop, stream and download as much as you like and not worry about exceeding a usage limit. Subject to a fair usage cap, don’t worry the usage cap will cover even the largest family.

"as much as you like and not worry about exceeding a usage limit" But yet the very next line Subject to a fair usage cap!. 

What formula did you use to calculate the cap to cover even the "largest family"

Where customer usage exceeds the specified monthly download/upload limit appropriate to the customer's chosen level, the company reserves the right to charge the customer for the excess use or to request the customer to select a more appropriate level. In the event of a customer refusing or neglecting to select an appropriate level, eir may upon due notice terminate the provision of the facility to the customer. 

OK, so what are the more appropriate levels?

A more appropriate level for the 1000MB Extreme has to be greater than 1TB for my current/projected usage.

So what more appropriate levels can I select from?
    2lFEZv2
    No response from Eir. It says a lot about the company when they refuse to address customers concerns and keep repeating the same line.. No more information, it's in the T&C's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

It's nothing but false advertising. If they don't accept your intention to leave, cancel your DD. 

You didn't receive what you signed up for, which is unlimited internet.

Magnet, Sky, and Virgin all have actual unlimited plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

These responses are an absolute joke! "nobody would be able to give you more information on this".

So "absolutely no usage limit" is placed on your advert/website and approved by someone in Eir, but yet nobody in Eir would be able to provide more information on the statement.
    Sorry I can't give you more information here, Ray. If you go onto our website, you can see that our usage policy is stated on our main page for broadband as well as in the terms and conditions.

If you scroll to the bottom of this page and click on 'Products explained - broadband & phone' you should be able to see where this is outlined.

- Adam

See highlighted.
    2lFEZv2.png
    2lFEZv2

Unlimited broadband means you and your whole family can shop, stream and download as much as you like and not worry about exceeding a usage limit. Subject to a fair usage cap, don’t worry the usage cap will cover even the largest family.

"as much as you like and not worry about exceeding a usage limit" But yet the very next line Subject to a fair usage cap!. 

What formula did you use to calculate the cap to cover even the "largest family"

Where customer usage exceeds the specified monthly download/upload limit appropriate to the customer's chosen level, the company reserves the right to charge the customer for the excess use or to request the customer to select a more appropriate level. In the event of a customer refusing or neglecting to select an appropriate level, eir may upon due notice terminate the provision of the facility to the customer. 

A more appropriate level for the 1000MB Extreme has to be greater than 1TB for my current/projected usage.

2lFEZv2
    I'm afraid there are no more levels of broadband allowance available to you as you are receiving our maximum broadband allowance.

This is in place for customers who are availing of our 30GB broadband plan. This plan is not available to order anymore, however, some customers are still on this package from when it was available.  All of the plans that are available to order now have a 1TB usage limit. 

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If all your plans now have a 1tb limit, then surely it's time you dropped the word unlimited from your adverts, and inserted 1tb in its place?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

So you can request a more appropriate level of service, except not really because there's only one.

- Adam

See highlighted.
    2lFEZv2.png
    2lFEZv2

2lFEZv2
    I'm afraid there are no more levels of broadband allowance available to you as you are receiving our maximum broadband allowance.

This is in place for customers who are availing of our 30GB broadband plan. This plan is not available to order anymore, however, some customers are still on this package from when it was available.  All of the plans that are available to order now have a 1TB usage limit. 

- Adam
    Adam,

How can you tell customers "as much as you like and not worry about exceeding a usage limit"when clearly customers are worried? 
    I am worried and many of the posters here are worried!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

1 week into September and I'm already on 300G, majority of which was a large patch for a game.

Also my usage in my dashboard states
    Product Allowance: Unlimited

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

1 week into September and I'm already on 300G, majority of which was a large patch for a game.

the 1tb cap is unlikely to be between the 1st to the last date of each month. Your monthly cap is calulated by billing cycle e.g. 7th September - 6th October, and this date is different for every customer, so be very careful when calculating your monthly usage.

The myeir facility is not an accurate representation of your monthly usage.

Gonzo wrote: »

the 1tb cap is unlikely to be between the 1st to the last date of each month. Your monthly cap is calulated by billing cycle e.g. 7th September - 6th October, and this date is different for every customer, so be very careful when calculating your monthly usage.

The myeir facility is not an accurate representation of your monthly usage.
    My billing cycle is first of 1st-30th. I requested some time ago to match up months instead of random date when I connected to Eir

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

[Yeah, noticed that too. It made me laugh

I’m just over 200GB so far in September and my billing period is from August 25th, there is no way for the website to tell you exactly what your usage is from your start of billing date. Which made me laugh a little too until I realised what a ridiculous situation I’ve gotten myself into. I haven’t cared about Internet usage for about 10 years now

The rep on here was able to tell me via PM my rough usage used since the start date.  And I am over 400GB in total. Does this mean I have to contact him everytime I think its close to hitting the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Perhaps everyone who is worried about their usage should setup their own seperate thread each and ask on a daily basis what their current usage is until Eir take the proverbial finger out and put in a system that actually works. :pac:

d31b0y wrote: »
    Perhaps everyone who is worried about their usage should setup their own seperate thread each and ask on a daily basis what their current usage is until Eir take the proverbial finger out and put in a system that actually works. :pac:
    Tbh it wouldnt be fair with people with other issues and having their thread buried in a mass of fair usage ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

d31b0y wrote: »

Look back over the past few years on this forum and you'll see the same complaints come up over and over again with the exact same copy-paste responses.

They don't care how much people annoy them about something. As long as their billing and sales departments are up and running, everything else is a distant second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Tbh it wouldnt be fair with people with other issues and having their thread buried in a mass of fair usage ones...

It wouldn't matter since all they do is ask people to PM them anyway. Spoiler alert: the PM just tells you there's nothing they can do or asks you to call their equally useless customer service number.

It's not like anyone would be deprived of a valuable service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Has anyone actually been charged for the excess?

R.F. wrote: »

I haven’t cared about Internet usage for about 10 years now
    That's it in a nutshell. I've been an Eir customer since I first got 512k ADSL broadband back in the early 2000's. At first we had a 2gig data limit on a 512k connection. Very soon eir upgraded the data limit and after that I stopped caring because Eir's fair usage policy was very generous and fitted the speed of the connection very well. The main purpose of the data cap back in the day was to stop people from downloading 24/7 and totally abusing a network. 

The situation is very different today, most people don't 'download' as such anymore. Streaming has become a normal method of watching TV or movies or cartoons for the kids, and it is required by many families.  Now with FTTH we get wonderful speeds but it's completely bottlenecked by this cap. Most people here are complaining because they are hitting the cap very quickly and it is just through normal fibre broadband usage such as multiple Netflix streams, game downloads, patch updates, mobile wifi and so on. This situation is only getting worse as usage patterns increase, streaming quality is getting upgraded all the time, more people are streaming etc etc. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Has anyone actually been charged for the excess?

Advertisement