Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited Broadband - Why do you push this message but yet cap at 1TB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Has anyone actually been charged for the excess?

I thought op was?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I thought op was?

I have.

Ordinary family, Netflix, YouTube, PS4 etc.

Having to watch usuage on my eir for first time ever but as stated above thats not aligned with billing cycle etc.

Great product. Terrible service from Eir.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I thought op was?

I have.

Ordinary family, Netflix, YouTube, PS4 etc.

Having to watch usuage on my eir for first time ever but as stated above thats not aligned with billing cycle etc.

Great product. Terrible service from Eir.
    same situation here. I have FTTH from Eir and love the product but for the first time in 14+ year's I have to log in several times a day to 'myeir' for a rough estimate on how much i'm downloading. I underuse my FTTH incase I calculate the billing cycle allowance wrongly as I simply cannot afford to pay excess charges. 

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

Let's get sharing!  

Eir, increase/remove fair usage cap on FTTH packages,
    to Tracy Kennedy, Director, Customer Operations at eir Ireland

https://www.change.org/p/tracy-kennedy-eir-ie-eir-increase-remove-fair-usage-cap-on-ftth-packages?recruiter=60375453&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

raydator wrote: »
    Let's get sharing!  

Eir, increase/remove fair usage cap on FTTH packages,
    to Tracy Kennedy, Director, Customer Operations at eir Ireland

https://www.change.org/p/tracy-kennedy-eir-ie-eir-increase-remove-fair-usage-cap-on-ftth-packages?recruiter=60375453&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition
    Signed

I take it you couldnt amend to just include all their fibre packages? Mine is standard fibre unlimited and still having the same issue

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Signed too, although its not just FFTH that this affects.
    Im on 100mb efibre and although i only use about 50% of the 1TB allowance it is advertised as unlimited.
    Id consider myself a light user with only netflix on two screens and the odd game patch, i dont download anything else yet i still creep above 50% of the 1TB.
    Considering netflix is only used a few hours in the evenings i could easily eat into this paltry 1TB if i wasnt careful.

Hi. I have amended the petition to include all fibre broadband packages. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Its a bit ridiculous that this whole "unlimited" rubbish is still going on. It should have been nipped in the bud from the very start. Unlimited should mean unlimited, none of this fair use policy crap. FUP = limit. They shouldn't be allowed advertised one thing one place but negate it in the small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RyGaR

This was for Month of August....all other months was 45....

Summary of current charges eir bundle 87.00 Plans and add ons 0.00 Service charges -4.78 Usage charges 100.00 Other charges -0.01 Total charges for this period 182.21

RyGaR wrote: »
    This was for Month of August....all other months was 45....

Summary of current charges eir bundle 87.00 Plans and add ons 0.00 Service charges -4.78 Usage charges 100.00 Other charges -0.01 Total charges for this period 182.21
    That's not good mate. 

It would seem almost every is getting hit with this charge.... Eir is laughing at us!

• Advertisement

@eir: Adam, This is stupid.  You guys need to sort something out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I love Eir's use of the word "absolutely"

How can they advertise their broadband as "absolutely unlimited" with a straight face when there is a limit in place.

Do they give a **** ? They "absolutely" do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

RyGaR wrote:

That would be worth highlighting to the media. Though you'd have to find a newspaper that doesn't take Eirs advertising dollar...

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Can't see how they can expect to get away with it, this is straight from their website

The small print
    Free connection
    FREE Connection for all new eir customers until 01 January 2017.
    • If your home previously had an eir home phone line, all line work is in place and you wish to reconnect the connection charge will be FREE (worth €24.00).
    • If your home has never had an eir phone line but all line work is in place, the connection charge will be FREE (worth €49.99).
    • If your home has never had an eir phone line, or all line work is not in place, the connection charge will be FREE (worth €121.93).
    [*]
    Unlimited broadband
    Unlimited broadband means you and your whole family can shop, stream and download as much as you like and not worry about exceeding a usage limit. Subject to a fair usage cap, don’t worry the usage cap will cover even the largest family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Why not just stop the direct debit and stop using the service.
    Let them try come after you and see what happens when you offer to bring it to court?
    I did this with the unlimited term and they backed off and cancelled my contract when I found out it wasn't unlimited. I moved to UPC and never had an issue since. It would be much quicker to get them to back off with this one.
    They would be afraid of bringing something like this to court as they know they would lose and couldn't scam anyone else with this racket.

Well, they are going to continue to rip customers off as they can get away with it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

400g in 9 days for me. Bad times

400g in 9 days for me. Bad times
    I only had my service installed 3 weeks ago.... And already I need to look at ways to reduce my normal daily usage down.. 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

same here lads, on a 1Gb ftth package, first bill in the door had an excess charge of 40 euro for going 50gigs over 1Tb. Took an eternity to finally get it installed, love the product and the speed, but this 1Tb Fup is just ridiculous for such a high speed connection. Anyone looking for that kind of bandwidth is obviously using quite a bit of data every month ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

Took a look at the actual contract I signed when the eir salespeople came to my house. Under "Terms and Contidions" it states "a fair usage policy applies to eir Fibre Extreme". It does not define the FUP in the contract or refer to the website for further info.

There is also a customer checklist with 16 points which had to be signed. Not one of the points refers to a FUP.

When we were sold the "Talk Unlimited" package we were told that all we have to do is hang-up at 59 mins to avoid a charge. There is no mention of a limit in the contract. Now I see a limit on the myeir app.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

same here lads, on a 1Gb ftth package, first bill in the door had an excess charge of 40 euro for going 50gigs over 1Tb. Took an eternity to finally get it installed, love the product and the speed, but this 1Tb Fup is just ridiculous for such a high speed connection. Anyone looking for that kind of bandwidth is obviously using quite a bit of data every month ffs
    So €50 for 1000gig, and then you go over by 50gig and they charge you €40. That's outrageous. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i'm sure Eir they did some research into a standard house, with Netflix, Online TV, Gaming etc, and saw that a months usage would exceed 1TB in most cases.  It a money making racket in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

johndoe99 wrote: »
    It a money making racket in the end.

Imagine the money they could make if they cut out the scams and tried to provide a actual service!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Are those dashboard stats showing people's current usage, complete with Product Allowance: Unlimited coming directly from Eir?
    I'd imagine if one of these cases ever went to court they'd face question over the fact that not only is the product blatantly misadvertised, but even the means Eir provides for customers to monitor their usage and avoid going over any cap reassures them that their allowance is unlimited. Hard to see that as anything other than outright fraud.

Tenigate wrote: »
    So €50 for 1000gig, and then you go over by 50gig and they charge you €40. That's outrageous. 

They can charge up to
    €100.

It's €2.50 per 10GB excess charge if I'm not mistaken upto €100.

So your €50 per "absolutely no limits" package can become €150 when your not careful and normal family household and go mad and have audacity to Netflix seasons in ultra 4K, using YouTube, downloading PS4 updates/games etc i.e the intended purpose of product.

Great product. Eir service absolutely diabolical.

Will be switching to Digiweb asap for better customer service (and appreciation).

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JAMCAR

Digiwed 350GB
    Excess usage

Unlimited Data: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 350GB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month. We do not throttle or cap service, however, if a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

[font=arial, sans-serif]A friend of mine was charged over €70 excess on the first bill and of course by that stage the cooling of period had expired so they stuck in contract.  [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Eir also told him they could not send him alerts when approaching the usage limit nor provide him with any up to date method to determine current usage apart from calling the call centre. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Someone from Eir needs to look up the definition of *absolutely[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]*"with no qualification, restriction, or limitation; totally"[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]This is blatant deceit.  I would not bother with a petition.  Just stop paying and let them take[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] you to court.  [/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

JAMCAR wrote: »
    Digiwed 350GB
    Excess usage

Unlimited Data: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 350GB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month. We do not throttle or cap service, however, if a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service.
    Digiweb's fair use action is basically an "Ah now" verbal telling off. 

Truth be told I have pushed close to 1TB on two or three occasions on the FTTC product. 

On the FTTH product the FUP is actually 1TB, not 350GB.

While this still may bend the rules on the meaning of the word "Unlimited" it is in stark contrast to Eir's policy of there actually being a defined limit, above which you start paying overage. 

Checking my data usuage daily via MyEir. Yesterday was c.300GB. This morning it has jumped to 750GB overnight - wtf!! Billing cycle doesn't end until 26th month.

Nothing downloading overnight. Only thing changed is MyEir showing bill due for payment yesterday and showing as paid today.

MyEir data counter automatically resets on 1st month (not in line with billing cycle).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

my data usage seems all over the shop

yesterday apparently we used no internet at all. Ive been checking the graph often and it has not moved up at all since this time yesterday 

Advertisement