Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited Broadband - Why do you push this message but yet cap at 1TB

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

http://www.asai.ie/complaint/telecommunications-55/

[font=HelveticaNeue, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif]The Committee again reminded eir of previous adjudications in which they had ruled that when there was a Fair Usage Policy in place, customers should be informed of its existence in any relevant advertising and be able to access it easily. A link should exist between the headline “unlimited” or similar claim and the reference to the existence of the fair usage policy.[/font]

[font=HelveticaNeue, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif]The advertising should not be run again in the same format. References to ‘unlimited’ and similar should be clearly linked, where relevant, to the existence of fair use policies. Marketing communications in online media should additionally link from these references to the details of the fair use policy.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

Well..... ASAI need to be allowed to impose hundreds of thousands of Euros in fines before Eir changes their practice!

I'm sure Eir have a guy on min wage who just answeres the questions from ASAI and then once a ruling is made he just notes it on the system and moves on to the next one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

pmce4 wrote: »
    be sure to let us know if you do get charged extra.
    Will do but tbh now it wont matter (for me). I got notification of a price increase on my current bill this morning so I'm leaving for another ISP that ACTUALLY provides unlimited data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

I had e vision and broadband and had real unlimited broadband. Wasn’t using the evision and need to cut back, so went down to just broadband. Got bills of 70 odd when expecting 45. Specifically said I just needed broadband as it was used a lot with Netflix and all 4 app. Will be switching to sky for proper unlimited broadband.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I went to 950gb last month but I've now cancelled my contract and moved on to a true unlimited provider.

• Advertisement

I went to 950gb last month but I've now cancelled my contract and moved on to a true unlimited provider.
    Who did you go with in the end?

raydator wrote: »
    Virgin Media. Since 2013 they offer unlimited in most packages (unless specified, see here). Been with them before but tbh they were never as bad as Eir have been the last 12 months....

So... 4 years they've offered unlimited services Eir, FOUR YEARS. That's how far behind the curve you guys are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Virgin Media. Since 2013 they offer unlimited in most packages (unless specified, see here). Been with them before but tbh they were never as bad as Eir have been the last 12 months....

So... 4 years they've offered unlimited services Eir, FOUR YEARS. That's how far behind the curve you guys are.
    Both Sky and Virgin Media have been totally unlimited for 4 years as are most isp's in the UK. 

And speaking of Sky, I reckon it's only a matter of time when they start providing truly unlimited FTTH services on Eir's network.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/1002/908991-bt-ireland-and-sky-ireland-deal/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Had a quick peek at the eir T&Cs and it seems to have been changed to unlimited. Unless it's hidden even further past the table of plans and limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭BeerFarts

hare05 wrote: »
    Had a quick peek at the eir T&Cs and it seems to have been changed to unlimited. Unless it's hidden even further past the table of plans and limits?
    Where are you seeing this? Everywhere I'm looking still mentions the fair usage policy of 1TB.

• Advertisement

BeerFarts wrote: »
    Where are you seeing this? Everywhere I'm looking still mentions the fair usage policy of 1TB.

https://imgur.com/a/1bkgT

This is where I went in T&Cs

Unless it's hidden elsewhere?

Except its still under T&Cs on the site itself, right near that UNLIMITED ****ing advertisement:
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Bold, "Arial Bold"]Unlimited broadband[/font]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Unlimited broadband means you and your whole family can shop, stream and download as much as you like and not worry about exceeding a usage limit. Subject to a fair usage cap, don’t worry the usage cap will cover even the largest family.[/font]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Where customer usage exceeds the specified monthly download/upload limit appropriate to the customer's chosen level, the company reserves the right to charge the customer for the excess use or to request the customer to select a more appropriate level. In the event of a customer refusing or neglecting to select an appropriate level, eir may upon due notice terminate the provision of the facility to the customer. The additional charge for excess usage is €2.03 per GB (€1.65 ex. VAT) up to a maximum of €24.40 (inc. VAT) per month. eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage in excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100(Inc.VAT) per month.[/font]

Except its still under T&Cs on the site itself, right near that UNLIMITED ****ing advertisement:

Ah.

Well I guess that's proof that even someone specifically looking for it can't find the limitation in the T&Cs.

Therefore...

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1980/act/16/section/45/enacted/en/html

You need to go to page 6 and see point 5

Where customer usage exceeds the specified monthly download/upload limit appropriate to the customer's chosen level, the company reserves the right to charge the customer for the excess use or to request the customer to select a more appropriate level. In the event of a customer refusing or neglecting to select an appropriate level, eir may upon due notice terminate the provision of the facility to the customer. The additional charge for excess usage is €2.03 per GB (€1.65 ex. VAT) up to a maximum of €24.40 (inc. VAT) per month. eFibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50 (inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100 (inc. VAT) per month

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Where customer usage exceeds the specified monthly download/upload limit appropriate to the customer's chosen level, the company reserves the right to charge the customer for the excess use or to request the customer to select a more appropriate level. In the event of a customer refusing or neglecting to select an appropriate level, eir may upon due notice terminate the provision of the facility to the customer. The additional charge for excess usage is €2.03 per GB (€1.65 ex. VAT) up to a maximum of €24.40 (inc. VAT) per month. eFibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50 (inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100 (inc. VAT) per month
    Where customer usage exceeds the specified monthly download/upload limit appropriate to the customer's chosen level, the company reserves the right to charge the customer for the excess use or to request the customer to select a more appropriate level.'

Where are they getting the  idea that customers can choose a more appropriate level. There is not a more appropriate level available to choose from if a customer goes over the limit.  It's 1tb allowance for virtually everyone regardless of plan unless they are on legacy ADSL.

Gonzo wrote: »

Where customer usage exceeds the specified monthly download/upload limit appropriate to the customer's chosen level, the company reserves the right to charge the customer for the excess use or to request the customer to select a more appropriate level.'

Where are they getting the  idea that customers can choose a more appropriate level. There is not a more appropriate level available to choose from if a customer goes over the limit.  It's 1tb allowance for virtually everyone regardless of plan unless they are on legacy ADSL.
    Yeah, I asked the question and was told by Eir staff that this related to packages where usage was like 30GB on mobile plans.

Ok, can you spot the difference?

Before
    TL916UA.png

After
    MAS1Ugv.png

It would seem that they have now removed "Absolutely no usage limits"

So instead of updating their FUP and removing this CAP, they decide to remove the statement from their site.

As its such a huge money maker (FUP), I don't see it getting updated/removed anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

got a 190 (90 would be my normal bill) euro bill in the door this month! absolutely nuts! I've stopped watching the data usage as it goes over the FUP within half the damn month and we arnt even heavy data users. Mostly just 3-4 people using netflix or the like! Shower of crooks is all eir are. 

got a 190 (90 would be my normal bill) euro bill in the door this month! absolutely nuts! I've stopped watching the data usage as it goes over the FUP within half the damn month and we arnt even heavy data users. Mostly just 3-4 people using netflix or the like! Shower of crooks is all eir are. 
    Out of curiosity, how much over did you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

SKY don't apply any limit on their unlimited broadband - no brainer

• Advertisement

kranbo wrote: »
    SKY don't apply any limit on their unlimited broadband - no brainer
    Sky currently do not offer FTTH tho. Hopefully at some stage in the future they will.

However Vodafone will soon offer FTTH over OpenEir's Network, my line is now passing for Vodafone 1000 meg since yesterday, however they haven't put up their plans or prices yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭swoofer

where can I check my line for FTTH on vodafone site?  All I see is SIRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭BeerFarts

We're now starting to see some games coming in at almost 100GB (Forza 7 and Shadow of War). That's one game taking up 10% of the total data allowance for a month. I wonder how long more will 1TB be a "huge" amount of data? It probably was 5 years ago but we're moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

We're now starting to see some games coming in at almost 100GB (Forza 7 and Shadow of War). That's one game taking up 10% of the total data allowance for a month. I wonder how long more will 1TB be a "huge" amount of data? It probably was 5 years ago but we're moving on.

Pirated versions of Shadow of War run at about 40gb... I smell a conspiracy

swoofer wrote: »
    where can I check my line for FTTH on vodafone site?  All I see is SIRO.
    there isn't a checker for Vodafone FTTH yet, however when I check their normal FTTC fibre checkers, it used to say up to 24 meg available to me up untill a few days ago, now it's changed to 1000 meg available, but the plans and prices for the FTTH haven't appeared on the website yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

The other issue is these FUPs seemed big when they were set.
    Speeds increase and the content increases to take up the bandwidth - UHD streaming for example.

I would see it as reasonable to throttle a line if someone is absolutely taking the ... 
    I mean like someone running a major commercial server from a home internet account and causing genuine disruption on the network.

I'd suggest in that case, you throttle the account and suggest they purchase a more appropriate business level service.

No normal consumer should be anywhere near that kind of situation.

Whacking a low limit on data caps is just unfair though. If it's hitting a lot of people, then it's just hidden pricing and not an FUP at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

And now it begins. They decided to bill me €100 for excess charges on BB for October. No warning, and they hadn't done it on any of the previous 3 months, but now they start??? I'm cancelling my DD if they think they are getting this money, and they can bring me to court. I can't wait until my contract is up and get away from this pack of clowns. Their accounts is beyond a joke. As said by others, I have unlimited written on the dashboard, and have screenshots of the 
    "no worries" advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I'm not due to even be able to order FTTH until September next year. This sort of thing makes it not so bad having to wait! Hopefully by then all the FUP stuff will be fixed and there will be other operators to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

My cabinet(fibre) is due to go live next week. having been with Eir(Eircom) forever, I never worried about a data cap, or never reached it. Giving people high speed fibre and introducing a cap is silly, with people hitting it well within the month, is counter productive.
    I struggle at the moment with a 3mb line, and cannot update most of my games, as Netflix tries to buffer, and YouTube for the kids is non responsive. So I'll never hit that data cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

the basic reality is the Eir, being nice, at at the very least, are purposely misleading their customers through false advertising, and then applying punitive charges. We know that self regulation does not work, just look at the advertising authority, a toothless, spineless self interest group.... and state regulation is hopelessly inadequate. The only solution is self awareness and customers avoiding eir at all costs. On the bright side, they so regularly break the Terms of their contracts by raising prices that it gives the consumers the option of leaving these contracts at least one or twice a year. 
    I would love to see a person who gets an additional FUP charge take a SCC case against Eir for €100 * # of months left on Contract. If would be difficult for a judge to rule in Eir's favour giving the copywrite on the website.
    Basically, don't give Eir money, they will screw you @ any opportunity... 

Advertisement