Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PME Business and Accounting

Options
  • 03-09-2017 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I'm about to start the PME first year school placement tomorrow morning and I was quite excited about it until recently.My subjects are business and accounting but since I've been accepted onto the course,numerous people have told me "I'm wasting my time and education undertaking this course because there's little or no jobs in teaching full stop,never mind in my subjects."
    I'm quite nervous that this could be a huge issue for me down the line should I see out the two years,just wondering if others have any opinions on this or how the outlook may be for my subjects down the line?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Cmacc4 wrote: »
    I'm about to start the PME first year school placement tomorrow morning and I was quite excited about it until recently.My subjects are business and accounting but since I've been accepted onto the course,numerous people have told me "I'm wasting my time and education undertaking this course because there's little or no jobs in teaching full stop,never mind in my subjects."
    I'm quite nervous that this could be a huge issue for me down the line should I see out the two years,just wondering if others have any opinions on this or how the outlook may be for my subjects down the line?
    Thanks

You have as much a chance of getting a job as anyone else - you might get lucky. Jobs are hard to come by so be used to subbing/maternity leaves for a few years, again you may get lucky. Don't go on anyone else's advice - we're all on a journey - be happy and follow your dreams.

Keep positive for tomorrow. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Don't worry about it. You're at a point where you might as well just go for it now anyway. No point in quitting before you even know what you're getting yourself in for. If you're good enough, the jobs are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Cmacc4

I'm 2 days in lads and I'm already unsure. I know I'm being incredibly hasty but I just don't know if I'm cut out for this. I had a pre conception of how I thought I'd do and how quickly I'd start to enjoy it but I was incredibly wrong. Considering changing postgraduate course to a masters in accounting in Maynooth before the semester officially begins in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭notdarkyet

Ignore other people's comments about job prospects. You need to decide if you're a teacher. If you feel you are, stick at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I'm 2 days in lads and I'm already unsure. I know I'm being incredibly hasty but I just don't know if I'm cut out for this. I had a pre conception of how I thought I'd do and how quickly I'd start to enjoy it but I was incredibly wrong. Considering changing postgraduate course to a masters in accounting in Maynooth before the semester officially begins in 2 weeks time.

I'm in 2nd year of the PME (Business and Accounting also). During my first week last year I came home crying one day as I felt I was terrible at it all and teaching wasn't for me. After a few weeks I loved it, and I am so happy this is what I chose.

It is very daunting at the beginning, but it gets way better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

There's no way you can tell after two days. Give it a chance. It's a rollercoaster until the very end, you'll have ups and downs like any other career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Two days in is very quick to make a decision. Do your first placement anyway. It's a very strange and stressful experience getting used to a new school - even for experienced teachers. You don't know students names or built any relationships with them. You don't know any of the staff yet either. It is a very daunting experience but when you're there a while - it will become second nature and you will reap the rewards of teaching.

Advertisement