Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fossil I found at the beach

Options
  • 04-09-2017 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Hiya guys

While at the beach earlier I came across some fossils in the rocks, one in particular has the shape of a crab with a 'walnut' appearance which looks like a brain, although I seriously doubt soft tissue like that would survive long enough to fossilize.

I have attached a video, the fossils is at the end of the video.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYl0S9LBxOS/

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Looks to me like the first fossils in the vid are solitary corals. The "crab" fossil is a brachiopod(spririfer family?) which would look like this with better preservation.

brachiopod4.jpg

In the one you found erosion has removed the top layer of shell to reveal some of the preserved internal structure and some of which would have been soft parts in life. Going by the fossils and the look of the rock I'd reckon early Carboniferous in date, 320 million years old or thereabouts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement