Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cutting out sidelights when dipped beam is on?

Options
  • 04-09-2017 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

would there be a legal issue if the 5w front sidelights were not lit when the 50w dipped beam was on - and only sidelights to come on only when dipped beam and high beam were off? - it seems overkill to have the 5w bulbs burning when there is enough light from the dipped lights - plus the car headlights on this particular car looks weird with the headlight dipped on and the sidelights on - cant explain it any better than that.

Failing that , would it be illegal to move the sidelights out of the main headlight and put them in place of the front fog lights?

Sorry if you find it a bit of an odd question and why would anyone want to do that but its just mildly niggling me the set up thats on there as standard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You're overthinking it. Plus the sidelight is handy for other motorists if the headlight bulb blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You're overthinking it. Plus the sidelight is handy for other motorists if the headlight bulb blows.

ah yes, wasnt thinking about that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

would there be a legal issue if the 5w front sidelights were not lit when the 50w dipped beam was on - and only sidelights to come on only when dipped beam and high beam were off?
    IMO yes, it would be illegal.
    Failing that , would it be illegal to move the sidelights out of the main headlight and put them in place of the front fog lights?
    Again same, it would be illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

colm_mcm wrote: »

Well, it's September, sidelights are all the rage from now to march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You mean Parking Lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

it should be illegal, indeed impossible, to drive on parking lights.

Totally pointless, the driver is acknowledging it's dark enough to have lights on but still wants to save money by not putting his dips on.

..and don't get me started on DRLs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Isambard wrote: »
    it should be illegal, indeed impossible, to drive on parking lights.

Totally pointless, the driver is acknowledging it's dark enough to have lights on but still wants to save money by not putting his dips on.

..and don't get me started on DRLs

Well I think it's handy to have them - for example driving through a wooded road can make cars a little more visible during the day which can only be a good thing

If you want to be visible, use your headlights.

Well I think it's handy to have them - for example driving through a wooded road can make cars a little more visible during the day which can only be a good thing

DRLs you mean? well i think any benefit is outweighed by the people who drive round in the evening with no lights at the back....

..damn, I said don't get me started.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

CiniO wrote: »
    IMO yes, it would be illegal.

Again same, it would be illegal.

I can't see how wiring the sidelights to go off when the main lights are on could possibly be illegal. In many cars they're barely visible once main lights are on and in some older cars they're actually house in the main beam reflector housing.

They're the most pointless stupid lights ever. They're supposedly 'parking lights' but absolutely no one uses them if parked in unlit areas at night for fear of draining their battery (which makes complete sense as I wouldn't use them either)

Idiots use them thinking they're saving their battery or for some other nonsense reasons. The government should introduce a €50 on the spot fine for idiots who drive about when it's almost completely dark with parking lights on. The same on the spot fine should be issued to idiots driving around with their rear fog light on when there isn't even a hint of fog. The government would clear the national debt in no time given the number of idiot drivers we have in this country.

• Advertisement

I've even heard of people who think the first click on their switch is dipped beam and the second full beam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I don't really get sidelights tbh, they offer very little light at all, the only use I can see is when dip bulb blows at least it offers some visibility for other drivers of your car.
    Personally drive with dips the whole time, literally turn the knob for them as I turn the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are parking lights and designed for just that - make the parked car visible to other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I don't really get sidelights tbh, they offer very little light at all, the only use I can see is when dip bulb blows at least it offers some visibility for other drivers of your car.
    Personally drive with dips the whole time, literally turn the knob for them as I turn the key.

That's because they are parking lights.... the clue is in their name. They are not designed for you to see, they are designed for others to see your car.

I can't see how wiring the sidelights to go off when the main lights are on could possibly be illegal.
    20. (1) (a) Where a vehicle to which this Part of these Regulations applies is used in a public place during lighting up hours, any of the following lamps and lighting with which the vehicle is required to be equipped in pursuance of article 9 of these Regulations shall, at all times while the vehicle is so used, be shown duly lit, that is to say:—the side lamps, rear lamps, rear projecting load lamp, lateral projecting load lamp, marker lamp and identification mark lighting.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1963/si/189/made/en/print

Above proves that side lights (known as well as parking lights) need to be used during lighting up hours.
    To be precise:
    "lighting-up hours" means the period commencing one half-hour after sunset on any day and expiring one half-hour before sunrise on the next day;

Obligation to use dipped or full beam headlights is separate, and doesn't release a necessity to use side lights.

So in theory, probably using dipped lights only (without sidelights) during the day in good visibility would be fine (unless it's against construction of vehicle regulations which possibly it is).
    But at night, sidelights definitely need to be on, no matter if dipped lights are on or not.

On top of sidelights obviously headlights (dipped or fullbeam) need to be used.

And here's few ridiculous bits in legislation:
    (b) (i) Where a vehicle to which this Part of these Regulations applies is being driven in a public place during lighting-up hours, the head lamps with which the vehicle is required to be equipped under these Regulations shall be shown duly lit.

(ii) Sub-paragraph (i) of this paragraph shall not apply—

(I) For a reasonable period after the commencement or before the ending of lighting-up hours, provided visibility is adequate,

(II) while the vehicle is stopped in the course of traffic, or

(III) while the vehicle is being driven in conditions of good visibility on a road to which a speed limit under section 45 or section 46 of the Act applies and which is provided with a continuous system of public lighting affording illumination equivalent at least to that afforded by dipped head lamps.

So according to that, it looks like you can legally drive with only side lights (parking lights) for reasonable period after sunset and before sunrise, as well as when stopped in traffic, or in lit up areas (like cities).

I'm not aware of any further amendments to that legislation which would change that.

In many cars they're barely visible once main lights are on and in some older cars they're actually house in the main beam reflector housing.

They're the most pointless stupid lights ever. They're supposedly 'parking lights' but absolutely no one uses them if parked in unlit areas at night for fear of draining their battery (which makes complete sense as I wouldn't use them either)

Agree.
    Lots of people flick them on during day when it's raining, which is absolutely pointless. You can't see them on oncoming vehicle until that vehicle is really close. By that time you'd already see that vehicle without lights.

Many countries prohibit driving with sidelights only.

But I must say I actually do use them sometimes for parking in unlit areas.

Idiots use them thinking they're saving their battery or for some other nonsense reasons. The government should introduce a €50 on the spot fine for idiots who drive about when it's almost completely dark with parking lights on. The same on the spot fine should be issued to idiots driving around with their rear fog light on when there isn't even a hint of fog. The government would clear the national debt in no time given the number of idiot drivers we have in this country.
    Agree.

There's not a hope sidelights would make vehicle more visible during the day - no matter if it's wooded area, or heavy rain, etc...

I did a test/game several times with my passengers.
    Day time - oncoming car - long straight road.
    The moment you first see the car, you must tell if car has it's side lights (parking lights on). Result - No one can tell. Just guessing.

Fact is, you can't tell. You see the car for a while, and you still can't tell. You can only tell when car is really close.
    That makes using them completely pointless.

Different story with DRLs or dipped lights.
    In that case, you can see cars from very far, You woulnd't be able to see that car if ithad no lights at all or only side lights (parking lights).

.... The same on the spot fine should be issued to idiots driving around with their rear fog light on when there isn't even a hint of fog.....

What about people who drive around with their front fog lights on in the front bumper as driving lights?

Surely there are differences with the design of fog lights to driving lights? I remember years ago on fog lights you had a round peice of reflective metal, aluminium maybe, in front of the bulb so that the light bounced off that back onto the reflector of the fog light, and possibly a different wattage bulb, all to cut through the fog/mist . And then you had driving lights where you had no reflector metal in front of the bulb and possibly a different wattage bulb or design of lens and it was there purely for more illumination at night, or have they incorporated the fog light and driving light as the same thing these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What about people who drive around with their front fog lights on in the front bumper as driving lights?
    Some do this, for sure, but bear in mind that some cars have combination DRL / foglight clusters in the front bumper, so while it may look as if they have their fogs on, it's actually a separate lower wattage bulb in a separate part of the housing that's illuminated.

Surely there are differences with the design of fog lights to driving lights? I remember years ago on fog lights you had a round peice of reflective metal, aluminium maybe, in front of the bulb so that the light bounced off that back onto the reflector of the fog light, and possibly a different wattage bulb, all to cut through the fog/mist . And then you had driving lights where you had no reflector metal in front of the bulb and possibly a different wattage bulb or design of lens and it was there purely for more illumination at night, or have they incorporated the fog light and driving light as the same thing these days?

Sorry, what are driving lights?

CiniO wrote: »
    There's not a hope sidelights would make vehicle more visible during the day - no matter if it's wooded area, or heavy rain, etc...

I did a test/game several times with my passengers.
    Day time - oncoming car - long straight road.
    The moment you first see the car, you must tell if car has it's side lights (parking lights on). Result - No one can tell. Just guessing.

Fact is, you can't tell. You see the car for a while, and you still can't tell. You can only tell when car is really close.
    That makes using them completely pointless.

Different story with DRLs or dipped lights.
    In that case, you can see cars from very far, You woulnd't be able to see that car if ithad no lights at all or only side lights (parking lights).

If the sidelights are in the headlight reflector they can be seen much more easily than tiny sidelights on their own. Mine are on their own so I only use them while parked.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Some do this, for sure, but bear in mind that some cars have combination DRL / foglight clusters in the front bumper, so while it may look as if they have their fogs on, it's actually a separate lower wattage bulb in a separate part of the housing that's illuminated.

Yes i see what you are saying but i was referring to people who use their fog lights as driving lights on older non fancy expensive make cars which have no drl's fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The only place where parking lights are "good enough" is in underground car parks. Anywhere else and they're just too weak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

DRLs are a nightmare at night-time, as the driver thinks they have their lights on, but they have no lights on the back of the car. Dipped headlights should be on at all times, day and night.

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    DRLs are a nightmare at night-time, as the driver thinks they have their lights on, but they have no lights on the back of the car. Dipped headlights should be on at all times, day and night.
    When designing drl's they should have put even a 5w wedge bulb in the rear light cluster in the red area of the lens

Remember in the old days with cars that had parking light setting on the stalk, the only lights to come on were the front drivers side sidelight, and the rear drivers side light when the ignition switch was off. Id be worried about flat battery with them left on overnight. In any case the rear cluster lights normally all have some kind of freshnel reflector in them so cars coming from behind with their headlights on can still see that its a car in front

VW still do the parking light off the indicator.

Remember in the old days with cars that had parking light setting on the stalk, the only lights to come on were the front drivers side sidelight, and the rear drivers side light when the ignition switch was off. Id be worried about flat battery with them left on overnight. In any case the rear cluster lights normally all have some kind of freshnel reflector in them so cars coming from behind with their headlights on can still see that its a car in front

I've never seen that on any car I've driven, the stalk switch always turned on all 4 lights. The VW system of using the indicator stalk to light left or right as needed is very handy.

quite common for one side or the other of parking lights to come on depending on the position of the indicator stalk.

Is this thread all about someone wanting to save by not have too many bulbs illuminated?

Lord Nikon wrote: »

No point for dipped headlights at all times...
    DRLs are much better for daytime in good weather than dipped headlights.

It's not DRLs which are nightmare, but drivers who don't know how to use their own car lights.

When designing drl's they should have put even a 5w wedge bulb in the rear light cluster in the red area of the lens

There's completely no need for rear tail lights at daytime in good weather.
    It would be overkill to fit them, to cater for unknowledgable drivers who don't bother turning dipped headlights at night or during bad weather at daytime.

• Advertisement

issue(s) on our particular car is that the capless 5w wedge bulbs go blackened very quickly and are pointless to have lit when dipped main is on - I might end up putting some LED's in its place from Halfords at some stage if its legal to do so

Advertisement