Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ras na mBan 2017

Options
  • 04-09-2017 6:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

So is there any boardies going?

It is looking like it's going to be another good one. Looking forward to Friday getting drenched on the top of a mountain. The Saturday evening crit should be another fine spectacle.
    I might even wait around for the Cannonball Run on Sunday evening too.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

https://twitter.com/RasnamBan/status/905485761545469952

Savage racing on Stage 1 super aggressive, came in at the fastest ETA.

Serious chapeau to all who finished, hard aggressive racing there today.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Report on Stage 2

Results & Standings

Belle de Gast from the Netherlands takes a 2s lead into Stage 3

Good to see it covered on RTE news this evening, few down in the clip they showed. Hope everyone is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Looking forward to the Crit Saturday evening ..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

Another absolutely savage stage today, 3 crashes, speeds of 75kph+, almost constant attacks, stage ending at the top of mount Leinster.

Serious respect for all who finished, the car we were in cut out at the 18% ramp :wow:

Savage going.

The live tweeting for the race continues tonight for Stage 5 here (as for every stage) the crit stage, it's gonna be fast and furious!:
    https://twitter.com/RasnamBan?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    #rasnamban

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Criterium looked class yesterday. Team GB fairly hoovering up the plaudits!

Always find myself around this time of year wishing I was a girl so I could take part... :D

Team Brezih Ladies, Team CCN, the former pink jersey team (and eventual stage winner) controlled the pack for most of the race worth WNT, Ras a great stage. Elinor barker played to exactly her strengths but Belle de Gast is just so strong. She's only racing bikes a year!! (She is a former speed skater).

Elinor has a good lead in GC, barring all incident she'll be the race winner this eve. Eve McCrystal it's top Irish rider in 5th place on GC, she had a great tt yesterday, she's flying after her world championship double on the tandem.

Live updates on Twitter again for the stage (apart from when we run out of coverage!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's understood the incident is not being treated as malicious.

Who in their right mind would run across in front of a large group of cyclists as they sprint for the line:confused:

I guess one explanation may be they were not in their right mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Was offender wearing a kilt? Hope all recover ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Bit of an unfortunate and sensationalist headline at the end of what was a hugely successful event run once again on a shoestring budget and the blood, sweat, tears, spare time and holidays of a dedicated bunch of volunteers.

Well done all. Let the above not be anyone's 2017 take-away

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

According to Orla Walsh on Insta, her teamate has a fractured shoulder from that incident.

Shocking stuff tbh.

What fat bloke said.

She is doing ok, she has fractured her shoulder.

But the real story of the event has to be that a huge, international multi day stage race happened on very little resources. It is the first time I have worked on it, and getting a glimpse of what is involved, and how much everyone involved gives to the race is something else. The scale and professionalism of the event is incredible given how scant resources are. It's an amazing achievement for the organisers. I want to come back as a rider some day :pac:
    The fact that it has been won by a double Olympic champion and former world champion tells you all you need to know about the standard of racing at the Ras. Savage animals all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Crit was amazing! Had to laugh when a group of lads on a stag walked past and ended up wearing the yellow t-shirts!!

Well done to all involved and long may it continue.

Said earlier and I'll say again, I'm delighted it got a decent mention on the evening news on RTE and not just an in passing there was some kind of bike race on. It was better covered than the mens race was earlier in the summer!!!!!

nee wrote: »
    I want to come back as a rider some day :pac:
    Well re-incarnation can never be ruled out:p

On the funding point I do have some concerns over the future of this race with An Post dropping out. I don't feel all the attention should be turned to the Ras (which was also reliant on An Post sponsorship) at the expense of this event. Hopefully CI will be able to help get another big sponsor who can support both. However there appears to be a distinct lack of businesses out there who see a great deal of value in supporting national cycling events

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Well re-incarnation can never be ruled out:p

On the funding point I do have some concerns over the future of this race with An Post dropping out. I don't feel all the attention should be turned to the Ras (which was also reliant on An Post sponsorship) at the expense of this event. Hopefully CI will be able to help get another big sponsor who can support both. However there appears to be a distinct lack of businesses out there who see a great deal of value in supporting national cycling events

Lot of money down on the docks to invest in a google or facebook or what ever Rás but as you say lack of ones who see value in sponsoring cycling. I do feel very strongly though that those tech companies should be investing more in sport and the community here given the money they have. The German supermarkets at least do their bit and maybe given their link to cycling Lidl might be tempted?

I wonder what kind of imput Cycling Ireland have in this marvellous event ?

greenspurs wrote: »
    This is from a thread we had on CI race grants 3 years ago:
    jinkypolly wrote: »
    So in 3 years the An Post Ras will have received €120,000 while for the same period the An Post Ras na mBan will have received €17,000. That's ridiculous.

Clearly the figures may have moved on, but I'm certainly not seeing evidence of the gap narrowing

Clearly the figures may have moved on, but I'm certainly not seeing evidence of the gap narrowing

Once Again - (if the figures are similar/havent changed much) shame on Cycling Ireland, A professionally run event in Ireland, where the Governing body do very little, and a few people do all the work for little return!!
    The starters list for this event is top class, and the organisation and "little things" that are done are top class ...
    Or, maybe , its run so well because Cycling Ireland ARENT involved ..... :rolleyes:

Highlights on Eurosport on September 17th

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

Spotted the powers that be on Friday's stage farting around in front of the race in the CI car. Pity they couldn't make better use of it supporting a team instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

greenspurs wrote: »
    jinkypolly wrote: »
    So in 3 years the An Post Ras will have received €120,000 while for the same period the An Post Ras na mBan will have received €17,000. That's ridiculous.

Surely sponsorship is a commercial decision. Made on what the business thinks it will get as a return. The crowds at the ras and national focus in the spring make it a better bet for sponsors surely.

Hope ras na mban gets a good deal looks like a great event.

Surely sponsorship is a commercial decision. Made on what the business thinks it will get as a return. The crowds at the ras and national focus in the spring make it a better bet for sponsors surely.

There were great crowds out to support the Ras this year, it was trending on Twitter (#5 Thursday I think it was, 24th in the country over all for the week I think) and on the news every night. Coverage in some national papers as well. September is a great time to have it, a post summer back to school lift, a focus in a lull time in general terms.
    It does so much for very little, it's a sponsors dream!

The national governing body of the sport shouldnt allow the event to be at the mercy of sponsorship deals !
    It could become a major international bike race if C.I did more to help , and if it got that extra bit of a cash injection.

*obviously i dont know the exact details, but as an outsider looking in, it seems the organisers are doing the majority of all aspects of the race.

• Advertisement

The figures I quoted are not sponsorship. They are how much the national body put in to support the event.

On the sponsorship side, it's my understanding that An Post have been putting significantly more into the Ras than the Ras na mBan

The Ras na mBan also relies on some funding from the National Dairy Council, the IVCA and smaller sponsors, together with financial support from a small number of individuals.

Advertisement