Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ras na mBan 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

greenspurs wrote: »

*obviously i dont know the exact details, but as an outsider looking in, it seems the organisers are doing the majority of all aspects of the race.
    There are a small number of extremely dedicated individuals, drawn from the likes of the Women's Commission, some IVCA stalwarts (as well as one or two Boardsies), who devote a hell of a lot of time (and/or indeed cash) to this event precisely because they are left largely to their own devices. TBH though that's also why this event is so good and so well liked by Irish and foreign racers alike

It's an event that many in GB seem to take very seriously, and it's one of the few stage races available for women across Europe, particularly at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Beasty wrote: »
    There are a small number of extremely dedicated individuals, drawn from the likes of the Women's Commission, some IVCA stalwarts (as well as one or two Boardsies), who devote a hell of a lot of time (and/or indeed cash) to this event precisely because they are left largely to their own devices. TBH though that's also why this event is so good and so well liked by Irish and foreign racers alike

It's an event that many in GB seem to take very seriously, and it's one of the few stage races available for women across Europe, particularly at this level.

Its amazing that they organise and run this event every year,
    I hope that these people dont get fed up of doing all this work every year and give up on it.
    As you said its a testament to how good this race that the entry ist is so strong every year.
    Chapeau to them all !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

nee wrote: »
    There were great crowds out to support the Ras this year,........... , it's a sponsors dream!

We'll see! An Post was the main sponsor for both - Rna mBan and Rna bhFear. So both have a big funding hole to fill. Who will fill it is literally the several thousand dollar question

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Any idea how much an post committed to the event? And is it a both or neither affair in terms of sponsorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

What fat bloke said.

She is doing ok, she has fractured her shoulder.

But the real story of the event has to be that a huge, international multi day stage race happened on very little resources. It is the first time I have worked on it, and getting a glimpse of what is involved, and how much everyone involved gives to the race is something else. The scale and professionalism of the event is incredible given how scant resources are. It's an amazing achievement for the organisers. I want to come back as a rider some day :pac:
    The fact that it has been won by a double Olympic champion and former world champion tells you all you need to know about the standard of racing at the Ras. Savage animals all!

Does this have the backing of one of the clubs in KK? (Deenside or Marble City?). The reason I ask is, if they did, then they deserve massive credit. After following on social media last year I decided to take in a few stages this year. The marshalling was fantastic (some of the marshalls were wearing Kilkenny gaa gear, but I didn't notice any cycling club gear).

Also, the work Valerie puts into this must be nothing short of monumental. When you attend the podium celebrations a lot of praise (rightly) goes out to sponsors and (in this case) Kilkenny county council. But the race organisers should really take a bow. Not just the organisation but the choice of route too. That criterium was thoroughly enjoyable to watch. And a mountaintop finish on Mount Leinster... I'd like to see something like that again in the Ras na Fhir (I can recall one 'mountaintop' finish on Seskin hill a few years back - I'm sure we'd all like to see at least one of these per edition of the race).

The crowds that turned out to watch weren't huge, but that was made up for by the enthusiasm on show. And the cyclists themselves looked delighted to be there (though I did feel sorry for the Bahrainian girl when she dropped out of the crit, and her standing there freezing until one of the marshalls came over to her with some warm clothing).

I also think it's at a great time in the calendar. Things seem to be quietening down a little in pro-cycling, so, in-theory, it should be attracting more attention.

Massive well done to the domestic riders who were well able to mix it with the pros. There's serious talent there, if only CI could do more to harness and develop it.

Here's hoping a new sponsor is found and this race can continue as is. And, if the good people of Kilkenny are in agreement, that it takes place there again in 2018.

• Advertisement

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Crit was amazing! Had to laugh when a group of lads on a stag walked past and ended up wearing the yellow t-shirts!!

Well done to all involved and long may it continue.

That at the crit stage on saturday night? If it's the group of lads I saw then it wasn't a stag. That was a prominent senior hurling team who were in Kilkenny to play a match (and, no doubt, hit the town after).

also, in case it hasn't been said before, Ronan Fox is a hero!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lot of money down on the docks to invest in a google or facebook or what ever Rás but as you say lack of ones who see value in sponsoring cycling. I do feel very strongly though that those tech companies should be investing more in sport and the community here given the money they have. The German supermarkets at least do their bit and maybe given their link to cycling Lidl might be tempted?
    the problem with the likes of google or facebook is that they're not in ireland because they want to sell stuff here, per se - they're here for the tax breaks. lidl *do* actually stand to sell more products if they can raise their profile through sponsorship, as they probably have a presence in every provincial town throughout the country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

1bryan wrote: »
    also, in case it hasn't been said before, Ronan Fox is a hero!

This a million times this! Valerie, Ronan, Declan, Dave and Dermot.

No the local cc's weren't formally involved in organising it, the race committee organised the 99 marshals and volunteers themselves. Legends each one! They of course helped out marshalling and as much as they could, but the bulk of the work and actual organising is the committee (5 people) and then out to the volunteers as far as I know.

No the local cc's weren't formally involved in organising it, the race committee organised the 99 marshals and volunteers themselves. Legends each one! They of course helped out marshalling and as much as they could, but the bulk of the work and actual organising is the committee (5 people) and then out to the volunteers as far as I know.

will definitely sign up to volunteer to marshall (or do something) next year. Amazing achievement to get all this sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I have marshalled for the last 2 years. Its a huge undertaking by the organisers, so if i can help out a wee bit , i dont mind doing so . They deserve all the help.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

fat bloke wrote: »
    We'll see! An Post was the main sponsor for both - Rna mBan and Rna bhFear. So both have a big funding hole to fill. Who will fill it is literally the several thousand dollar question

Lidl have a Serious Support sponsorship thing going for Ladies Gaelic. Maybe they'd be interested in diversifying into ladies cycling also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

1bryan wrote: »
    That at the crit stage on saturday night? If it's the group of lads I saw then it wasn't a stag. That was a prominent senior hurling team who were in Kilkenny to play a match (and, no doubt, hit the town after).

Ahh OK. Just assumed it was a stag as I didn't pay much attention as my dog was more interested in dragging me around the place.

3 of the dominant GB team are selected to ride the worlds

https://twitter.com/BritishCycling/status/907559420246335488

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One of the things I've suggested to the organisers is investigating whether GB Cycling may be prepared to help support the Ras na mBan, particularly in light of the number of GB riders involved and the experience they gain out of this multi day event. Not sure if it's possible or if UCI rules prohibit "cross-border" support in this way, particularly as CI are already supporting the event. But if you never ask.....

Beasty wrote: »
    One of the things I've suggested to the organisers is investigating whether GB Cycling may be prepared to help support the Ras na mBan, particularly in light of the number of GB riders involved and the experience they gain out of this multi day event. Not sure if it's possible or if UCI rules prohibit "cross-border" support in this way, particularly as CI are already supporting the event. But if you never ask.....

That's an excellent idea. No one has pockets as deep as BC these days. And it's curious that in the days after, 3 of the GB team are named in the worlds, and one of those secures a contract with one of the bigger teams (though I'm sure that was already in the bag).

I'm sure a 'way' can be found to circumvent any tricky UCI rules (good friday agreement, independent sponsorship from a holding company, contact your local fianna fail councillor, etc).

And were the race to go by the wayside, it would be them that would lose out most (aside from the Irish). The foreign squads change from year to year, but along with the Irish squads, it's nearly a given that the brits will send a development team. Stage races at this level are few and far between.

Another thing that occurred to me was the proximity of the Ras na mBan to the worlds. I would be surprised if some of the so-called bigger names of the sport wouldn't kill for the chance to have a solid 6-days of racing in the legs as preparation. Could there be leverage there somehow, I wonder....

I'd also be curious as to the cost of hosting such an event. I presume the podium, barriers, etc, are carried out by an independent 'event's company who have to be paid. I know the gards have to be paid to police and marshall the event. Then there's insurance, which can't be small.

All the cars were honda, so I presume they were sponsored for the week. I'd imagine all the race organisers and marshalls volunteered their services.

Do teams cover their own costs? Over and above the race entry fee, do they cover their own transport and accommodation costs?

I guess I'm wondering if the cost is attainable via crowdfund if a new sponsor can't be found?

Highlights are on at 16:30 tomorrow on Eurosport 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Eurosport now!!

Very cool

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Are the highlights not available on demand with the player? I can't seem to find them. :confused:

buffalo wrote: »
    Are the highlights not available on demand with the player? I can't seem to find them. :confused:

It's there if you scroll down on the schedule for today to earlier , but it's greyed out for me right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Annoying that the highlights show was on the same time as the AI Football final today! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

Not sure about all the teams, but I know one regional team pays for everything as in accommadation,meals, & back-up (as in the car & diesel, Mechanic/Masseuse/Manager all volunteers and unpaid). One of the teams this year also travelled from Germany, had no manager/back up and stayed in a hostel looking after themselves, no complaining, just got on with it and finished it!!!! As an event it ranks as high if not higher than the mens Rás in terms of the riders it attracts...(imagine the Rás having 3 of the mens elite british team ride in it 2 weeks before the Worlds?) It's a superb event and a credit to Valerie and the team of volunteers that produce a fantastic event on a tiny budget yet somehow have all the bases covered. If you've never seen a top quality women's race I suggest you make sure your take in a few stages next year and be prepared to be blown away by the professionalism and ability.

Highlights this evening at 20:30 on ES2 for those that missed it on Sunday.

EDIT: Actually it's on a few times this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Ten minute warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Balls, didn't see this until now.

Right, to try and help me remember to watch it, here are the other times it's on over the next few days:

Thursday 21st at 10am on Eurosport1
    Friday 22nd at 6pm on Eurosport1

Balls, didn't see this until now.

Right, to try and help me remember to watch it, here are the other times it's on over the next few days:

Thursday 21st at 10am on Eurosport1
    Friday 22nd at 6pm on Eurosport1

Miss the feature they had on the old player where you could rewind 3 hours.

Advertisement