Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratch Cup format

Options
  • 04-09-2017 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭

It has always been my understanding that a Scratch Cup as a strokeplay event. However paying in one yesterday I aa informed that it was to be a stableford format. Is this common or very unusual? My playing partner was +5 and normally this would be enough to win an Intermediate Scratch but it equates to 43 points and for someone off 17 that is a more obtainable score than the +5.

Is there many Scratch cups played as stableford events?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I've never seen one as stableford.

I'd prefer them to be 27 holes for the low guys and 18 for the mid handicap guys or maybe 27 holes for both. 36 holes is too much imo. In our clubs last scratch cup very little single figure guys bothered entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

The only scratch cup I have won was stableford format and that would have been around 10 years ago. However it was still gross points that counted so the 17 handicapper's extra shots would have been irrelevant

The club in question played their intermediate and minor scratch cups on the same weekend and found that stableford was a much quicker format than stroke and more appealing to high handicap players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

paulos53 wrote: »
    The only scratch cup I have won was stableford format and that would have been around 10 years ago. However it was still gross points that counted so the 17 handicapper's extra shots would have been irrelevant

The club in question played their intermediate and minor scratch cups on the same weekend and found that stableford was a much quicker format than stroke and more appealing to high handicap players.

I think the pace of play is quite probably the most likely reason. I have never before encountered a scratch cup in stableford format.

I often find in clubs the resistance to strokeplay comps amongst members to be baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

Why wouldn't everyone not play of the lowest hcp for the qualification bracket, if they must play stableford format?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Just an open singles stableford by the sounds of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Scratch....... You play off scratch so handicaps don't come into it. So therefore OP your scenario with the 17 handicapper is wrong. But most places will also have a nett prize, but scratch cup main prizes have to be given to gross scores.

Re strokes or Stableford..... Never heard of a Stableford one, I would of thought they have to be strokes, but can see why places might do it as above. However you would have to remember you are still playing off scratch. But also playing off your handicap for the nett prize..... To confusing if you ask me.

By the way OP +5 gross could be a number of Stableford points but you must be working out nett scores to get 43.
    Let's say your mate had 5 bogeys and 13 pars. That would be 31 points. But if he had 16 pars and one double and a triple it would be 32. 17 pars would be 34 points.......

Did you check the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Seve OB wrote: »
    By the way OP +5 gross could be a number of Stableford points but you must be working out nett scores to get 43.
    Let's say your mate had 5 bogeys and 13 pars. That would be 31 points. But if he had 16 pars and one double and a triple it would be 32. 17 pars would be 34 points.......

Did you check the results?

You have me slightly confused to be honest. Basically what happened is he came second with 43 stableford points. They then subtracted his handicap from his points to give 31. He was beaten by a local player who had 44 points

I was always of the opinion that the Scratch Cup was a strokeplay event and the lowest number of shots was the winner.

slingerz wrote: »
    You have me slightly confused to be honest. Basically what happened is he came second with 43 stableford points. They then subtracted his handicap from his points to give 31. He was beaten by a local player who had 44 points

I was always of the opinion that the Scratch Cup was a strokeplay event and the lowest number of shots was the winner.

Me to.
    But for his 31 what did the local player have?
    Could there have been other gross scores in the mix either?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jimjim12

Which club hosted the competition, should be easy enough to contact them for the results?  Looking at golfnet the only club which appears to have a scratch cup last weekend with the format marked as stableford is the Ring Of Kerry.
    However when you look at their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ringofkerrygolfclub the results show gross strokes.
    79 won the inter, with 81 in decond.

• Advertisement
Advertisement