Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus and The Aviation Herald

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

A lot of the posters where accusing Aer Lingus of being petty. But I think Aer Lingus was correct – they just wanted to ensure the “Aer” was included in any future articles. It’s not as if a strongly worded missive from Aer Lingus was sent threatening immediate legal action. Seems to me it was the other posters who were being overly sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

"performing an alternate gear extension" straight away bull****...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Bussywussy wrote: »

Why is that BS? You can see in the video that the main gear doors are hanging down so there's clearly a hydraulic issue.

I don't know much about the airbus hydraulic systems though

John_Mc wrote: »
    Why is that BS? You can see in the video that the main gear doors are hanging down so there's clearly a hydraulic issue.

I don't know much about the airbus hydraulic systems though

Because the gear didn't retract in the first place

The Aviation Herald is not some sensationalist publication - they publish the facts, or try to at least.

How do you know the gear didn't retract in the first place? Could it be that the gear unlocked but didn't retract so they had to use alternate gear extension to put back into locked position?

• Advertisement

The Aviation Herald is not some sensationalist publication - they publish the facts, or try to at least.

How do you know the gear didn't retract in the first place? Could it be that the gear unlocked but didn't retract so they had to use alternate gear extension to put back into locked position?

But they don't have the facts of what happened,nor are they privy to them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Simon's dropping of Aer is pointless adherence to a nonsensical "style guide" that doesn't actually work in English. That's what EI are complaining about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

Mebuntu wrote: »
    I was just over at the Aviation Herald website and noted that Aer Lingus had taken umbrage but have been given short shrift.

https://avherald.com/h?article=4adc5300&opt=0

I'm a bit sceptical about this. Surely somebody in EI would just contact the site privately if they had a (pretty uppity) complaint instead of just posting it in the comment section where any Joe Soap can contribute?

Check out any EI story on AVH and there's pretty much always somebody moaning about Simon referring to them as Lingus. Wouldn't be surprised if this is just one of the usual posters taking it too seriously

But they don't have the facts of what happened,nor are they privy to them....

It's the go-to publication for all people interested in the industry and many would disagree with you on that.

Are you going to share any information or just criticise the AV Herald?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

I've had a further look and it seems that the website only shortens the names of the airlines in the heading of each article. The airlines' full name is shown in the body of the article.

Definitely much ado about nothing - if, indeed, the comment was made by Aer Lingus at all.

• Advertisement

It's the go-to publication for all people interested in the industry and many would disagree with you on that.

Wouldn't be in a position to share any more info...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Hes right, tge av herald have their facts wrong there. No alternate extension was performed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Thought I read in another thread here that the mains retracted but not the nose, could it be procedure to use the backup extension system in such cases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Thought I read in another thread here that the mains retracted but not the nose, could it be procedure to use the backup extension system in such cases?

That was my understanding as well.

It's only a small thing but it comes across as petty by Aer Lingus for complaining. Its the same for all airlines and designed to keep the title as short as possible. Air India is India for example in the title. The full Aer Lingus name is used in the body.

Surely EI have more important things to be worried about - maybe concentrate on fixing the Aer Club disaster? If it was such an important issue, she should have contacted AV Herald using the contact link. I'm not sure why her comment annoys me but it does.

Possibly the stupidest site rule by a mile. According to his FAQs he should therefore be shortening British Airways to British and Air France to France but he doesn't so why shorten Aer Lingus to Lingus ? Also he defends the misidentification of New South Wales NSW as NS because of some obscure ISO thing. Frankly yes people who complain have every right to complain because they have very valid points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Possibly the stupidest site rule by a mile. According to his FAQs he should therefore be shortening British Airways to British and Air France to France but he doesn't so why shorten Aer Lingus to Lingus ? Also he defends the misidentification of New South Wales NSW as NS because of some obscure ISO thing. Frankly yes people who complain have every right to complain because they have very valid points.

Could just British not be confused with British Midland/BMI Regional? As far as I can tell Air France is shortened to France.

I'm not necessarily defending their choices, I would prefer it to be Aer Lingus but they do seem to be consistent in their usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Referring to Aer Lingus as Lingus has always been a pet peeve of mine, it's pointless and to be honest would probably cause a few people not to recognise the airline as a result.

I note a few people discussing the trade mark, which I think is reasonable, however is there actually anything the airline can do if they don't use the full name of the airline.

Simon has an account on here, hopefully he will rectify this, as it is rather strange and cannot see why you can't just call the airline by its name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Referring to Aer Lingus as Lingus has always been a pet peeve of mine, it's pointless and to be honest would probably cause a few people not to recognise the airline as a result.

I note a few people discussing the trade mark, which I think is reasonable, however is there actually anything the airline can do if they don't use the full name of the airline.

Simon has an account on here, hopefully he will rectify this, as it is rather strange and cannot see why you can't just call the airline by its name.

I think his approach is "my website, my rules". Why he has adopted a naming convention that is unique to AVH, I have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

I think it's petty on the website owner/editors part. It cheapens the overall value of the website and undermines the validity of its reporting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I think it's petty on the website owner/editors part. It cheapens the overall value of the website and undermines the validity of its reporting.

Not to mention it's complete pointlessness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

They would have had to use the Alt landing gear extension procedure irrespective of the gear down to ensure continuity with the ECAM procedures as laid out for a Hyd Green system failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Simon has explained his rationale previously. No biggie imo. He does great work, I think.

Is English his first language?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Minister wrote: »
    Simon has explained his rationale previously. No biggie imo. He does great work, I think.

No German is his first, he's Austrian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Minister wrote: »

Does that matter? Nobody doubts the work Simon does, it's the little things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

billie1b wrote: »
    No German is his first, he's Austrian

Maybe that is why it is written the way it is, so?

Let's just accept this and enjoy the privilege of the content........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

This is a bit of a storm in a teacup IMO, just one of the nuances of AVH which doesn't warrant a complaint.
    john boye wrote: »
    I'm a bit sceptical about this. Surely somebody in EI would just contact the site privately if they had a (pretty uppity) complaint instead of just posting it in the comment section where any Joe Soap can contribute?

Agreed, if that really was their 'Director of Marketing and Digital experience' who left that comment, it does come across as unprofessional to not use the 'contact' function or email and keep the communications private.

Q: Why do parts of airline names like Air, Airline, Airways, Aer, ... not get used in the headlines?
    Headlines are kept as short as possible without losing information. Airline Name parts like Air, Aer, Airline, Airways, ... are therefore being omitted where the airline is unambiguously being identified nonetheless. Such parts of the airline names are used only where a potential confusion with another airline exists.
    According to his FAQs he should therefore be shortening British Airways to British and Air France to France but he doesn't so why shorten Aer Lingus to Lingus?

There were numerous airlines which began with 'British', so presumably AVH are using the full name in this case in order to avoid potential confusion as per their FAQs.

Air France is referred to as 'France' in the headlines.

Incident: France B772 near Halifax on Aug 10th 2017, severe turbulence believed to be wake from a B744

There do seem to be some 'Airs' that do slip through.

Accident: Air Canada A320 at Halifax on Mar 29th 2015, touched down short of runway

Incident: Canada A319 at Toronto on May 17th 2016, trapped fuel

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement