Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman - Damaged Goods

Options
  • 04-09-2017 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wanted to seek some advice on Harvey Norman. I took delivery of a bed frame and a 6 piece dining set on Saturday. The lads arrived 90 minutes late and delivered boxes which looked like they were through the wars. (See pic of one attached).

I said that the boxes are heavily damaged and he said its just the boxes... I knew there would be some damage so I signed the form and wrote boxes damaged which he wasnt too keen on.

So, I thought the odd scratch, but everything is wrecked. 5 out of 6 chairs are chipped (see pic of one). The bed frame is also visibly scratched. I dont mind any scratches/chips on the underside. But for over 2K in goods, I expect the visible parts to be scratch/chip free.

Rang the store, got told only customer service can talk to you. Rang them this morning and they said they will send a technician in 3 working days! I told them, no way as I have no time for all this and the photos will clearly show the damage! So now they requested photos and we are going from there.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There was a recent thread with a similar issue in Harvey Norman, give it a search and see how that guy got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Thanks for that. I searched but found so many but nothing similar. Ill give it another look.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

GBX wrote: »

Thanks I read that. This is a bit different in that they are talking about sending technicians from the manufacturer out. Customer service just confirmed that when I raised the issue of damaged boxes with the courier they should not have delivered them.

Update:

Customer Service recommended to call the store to try and resolve. Otherwise their protocol means the manufacturer sends someone out in 3 working days to confirm it is damaged (despite the photos). Waiting on the store now for a call back with a solution....

• Advertisement

Store called back and offered to replace the furniture. When in stock they will deliver and assemble it leaving me with the use of the damaged furniture until then. I think ill accept the offer. Its not ideal by any means, another morning off work to take delivery and that, but it means ill get what i wanted, albeit 6 weeks late. Just waiting on getting it in writing. Which was promised a few hours ago.

Update -

A few days after I posted above the bed broke! (no shenanigans). It turned out to be basically glue and tiny screws holding the 6 ft mattress and us. Took a week but Hn sent out a carpenter to collect it and will refund. Carpenter couldnt really say, but basically agreed when I said its not fit for purpose. his advice was always look under a mattress in store to see the construction quality. The one i went for was the Lynwood Colortrend bed. Its very poorly made. Not enough support for a 6 ft mattress. Table and chairs are due to be replaced in the next few days. fingers crossed they are ok. Bottom line so far is i have had to speak to HN customer service at least 2 dozen times and the store itself. Every time im promised a call back it never happens. so just keep at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

To be honest OP if the bed didn't last a few days then I'd expect the chairs to be no better. I'd get a full refund while you can and shop elsewhere.

mad m wrote: »
    To be honest OP if the bed didn't last a few days then I'd expect the chairs to be no better. I'd get a full refund while you can and shop elsewhere.

Thanks for that. Yes that was my instinct too. The thing is, the chairs are a solid wood and not MDF so they should be ok. I will take the exchange, but if the new chairs and table are damaged in any way, ill send it all back. I did look around at other options, but just couldnt find something that I liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

sugarman wrote: »
    They stock 100's of brands of furnishing and dont have their own brand stuff, so the chances of the 2 brands even being the same are slim and the chances of buying the same brand from another supplier is likely!

Some of the furniture 'brands' in HN are definitely captive brands - own brand in everything but the name. Lidl/Aldi are the main user of captive brands here and nobody considers them anything but own brand.

Regardless, they don't have factories so there'll be multiple suppliers for the captive brands

• Advertisement

Just to update. still waiting on a new dining set. They told me it would be October, but then the set that arrived in the warehouse was damaged. So now im told December. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Just to update. still waiting on a new dining set. They told me it would be October, but then the set that arrived in the warehouse was damaged. So now im told December. Fingers crossed.

How did you get on with this? We received a bed today, fabric on corner scuffed, 2 legs damaged. Mattress covered in mud on the side. Headboard cannot be attached with the bolts provided ( just don't fit) and it's missing a latch on the side to hold the bed together.

Rang the store and was Given the same dublin customer service number which closed at 5 ( our delivery came at 7) my husband went out to the store and showed the manager all the photos of all the damage and he said we will have a replacement bed and mattress tomorrow.

michellie wrote: »
    How did you get on with this? We received a bed today, fabric on corner scuffed, 2 legs damaged. Mattress covered in mud on the side. Headboard cannot be attached with the bolts provided ( just don't fit) and it's missing a latch on the side to hold the bed together.

Rang the store and was Given the same dublin customer service number which closed at 5 ( our delivery came at 7) my husband went out to the store and showed the manager all the photos of all the damage and he said we will have a replacement bed and mattress tomorrow.

Still not resolved. Bed we ordered was collected and refund given. I would be cautious with their beds. The colortrend one we got was just chip board without proper supports.

The kitchen dining set is the part still outstanding. After promising a replacement set by Christmas they can't guarantee when it will ever be in. So Christmas on damaged goods and maybe a replacement in January....

My advice is to keep on top.of them. They never call back so keep on top of them.

Still not resolved. Bed we ordered was collected and refund given. I would be cautious with their beds. The colortrend one we got was just chip board without proper supports.

The kitchen dining set is the part still outstanding. After promising a replacement set by Christmas they can't guarantee when it will ever be in. So Christmas on damaged goods and maybe a replacement in January....

My advice is to keep on top.of them. They never call back so keep on top of them.

Thanks I will blow a fuse if it's not sorted tomorrow!

I added a photo of the damage.

Wow that's really shocking. It must have been a return they resold. 930 they open at so make sure to call them right away.

Wow that's really shocking. It must have been a return they resold. 930 they open at so make sure to call them right away.

They came and took the damaged one this afternoon and gave us a replacement (which is new and very similar to the one we ordered)as they didn't have the one we ordered in stock and he rang me about an hour ago saying he would know by 10 am tomorrow if he can get a new one (of the original we ordered)down from dublin before Xmas for us.

Happy with how it's being dealt with so far!

He did say that our one was given to someone else by mistake yesterday that's how we ended up with the broken one !

Glad u got sorted. Seems their bed stock is better than the rest of their furniture. Just make sure the bed is sturdy and keep the receipt :) just in case

Glad u got sorted. Seems their bed stock is better than the rest of their furniture. Just make sure the bed is sturdy and keep the receipt :) just in case

Brand new bed was delivered this afternoon. Perfect, no issues. Luckily resolved quickly, I was so worried after reading online. The manager was great!

Nice one. Hope mine is sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Nice one. Hope mine is sorted soon.

You are being overly patient, you have been waiting over 3 months and they still haven't sorted you out.
    You should be looking for a full refund now and then take the money and go get something suitable in the sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My HN bed was delivered significantly dented also, I didn't have the time to argue for a replacement as I was moving in that night so I just stuck with it. There appears to be some severe handling issues in their warehouse.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    You are being overly patient, you have been waiting over 3 months and they still haven't sorted you out.
    You should be looking for a full refund now and then take the money and go get something suitable in the sales.

Thanks for that. Yes a refund was an option but we actually like this table despite looking elsewhere. I might offer to repair it myself and take a partial refund.

I was called on Monday to discuss delivery of the new dining set. I asked for an install in the evening (as this was offered previously). I was told I would get a call back. Nothing until this morning when Im told they are delivering today. This was not arranged and I cannot take the day off work. Absolute fiasco, over 3 months gone and still no solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

Absolute fiasco, over 3 months gone and still no solution.

No offence but people acting like doormats is how stuff like this keeps happening, again and again. Be assertive!

If you paid by credit card, ring the Bank today and do a chargeback, as you've given them more than enough time to fix this.
    https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/disputed-card-transactions-chargeback/

If you paid cash, start a claim in the small claims court today:
    http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/Library3.nsf/PageCurrent/A9C6E93D70127EF38025810D0034EAD6?opendocument&l=en

Thanks Farmer Bob. The thing is, we like the table and they will replace it. If its not in stock, its not in stock. We looked at other options, but was happy to wait. I have done the SCC route, and your talking a long time, and a waste of head space. I could get a refund today if I wanted. I dont let it consume and I am quite patient (because we have the use of a dining set).

This thread is really to inform others to be careful with HN. There is a massive disconnect between what the sales person says and reality.

Advertisement