Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chapter 2 - Finding Nemo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Sorry to read that about the mojo etc - I can remember someone saying that if there's stress in your life, then running suffers - focus on reducing the stress 1st rather than ploughing on through and not addressing the stress.

Take a step back from things too I think - nothing wrong with a 5 day running week either

No point comparing with the past or with who's doing what these days - I know its difficult not too with Strava and then here - but there'll be people who will be looking at you in a few weeks/months time thinking, jeez, isn't PN running well these days.

BTW: I think racing Adare as SGMC says is a great idea. No watch, bad shoes - no chasing a time - just enjoyment of racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Late getting to this as I have been very busy. The mojo thing is a tough one but as has been said it's about enjoying running for runnings sake not as something that has to be done to set new PBs. What kept me sane over the past 6 months was just being able to get out and jog. It was far better for me than moping that I wasn't getting 'quality' work done. The quality was in enjoying a run for itself, for the good weather, for being a tough bastid when the weather was rotten, for the music (yes I have succumbed), for the location etc. Running is for pleasure not just a means to an end, don't forget it.

A propos the lads suggestion re Adare. It's a great idea. I did something similar yesterday where I just targeted running at a certain HR. Having the (in many ways self imposed) pressures of a clock removed was liberating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

As distance runners we spend most our time running on our own unless you're lucky enough to have a good training group, even then with life it can be hard to meet up. This time of year when it's dark and wet it can be particularly hard going. I'm not sure if it's workable for you but try to run with others once a week. If club sessions don't suit your schedule maybe you could pace some of the slower guys and use it as a recovery run. I'm sure with all your knowledge and experience you would be a massive asset to the club. Giving something back can be very rewarding and a good way to keep the buzz alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Straight down the South Douglas road,,can't miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Cheers for the comments everyone. Still undecided on Sunday. Will probably make up my mind tomorrow. Another option is pacing a buddy going for his first sub 40. I think I can manage 4min per km? Maybe? Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

No easy solutions, obviously, but I second the comment above about winter running, and Feb is probably the worst of the depths. But who am I to question your feelings - if enthusiasm/mojo is lacking, that’s what you’re dealing with. Getting out there and ticking over while not enjoying it is one of the marks of a real runner, I guess, so maybe celebrate that, whether it’s four, five, six or seven days a week.

These things may pass.

Body decided for me anyway. Soon as the weekend hit I felt drained, scratchy throat. So Adare is off the cards.

On more positive news, much like Ross and Rachel, myself and Luke are no longer "on a break". I'm officially a coached athlete again....... I can feel the running mojo returning already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Delighted! You'd been moping about like a lovelorn teenager for far too long :-)

skyblue46 wrote:
    Delighted! You'd been moping about like a lovelorn teenager for far too long :-)

We were on a break!!! ;)

Said I'd sneak in a quick update while waiting for the young fella to nodd off.

Things have been on the up since working with Luke again. Stress levels have improved. Sleep has probably got worse with the little fella teething. Boys are much more moany than girls. Lol. Never had these issues with the little girl. Waking a few times a night settling him. Seems like stress more than sleep is a big factor in my body breaking down.

Last two weeks have been on the Luke plan phase two! And I've noticed the difference. One thing is for sure, what I thought was conservative was not. Really noticing the difference especially in the sessions. Big recoveries between reps and sets. And I can feel the body coming back to me. Had physio last week. She reckons it's the best shape she's seen me in since I started going to her. Last few runs have been very encouraging both physically and mentally. Much less of a slog. Fresher, bouncier and stronger. Less niggly for sure. Starting to realise that the ups and downs are part of this journey and as long as I can keep tipping on through the downs then it'll come good. Honestly I'd be screwed without the boss at the helm though.

So hopefully I'm turning a corner and will maintain the progress. Not really bothered with target races right now. I had already signed up for limerick half. I'm in no shape to get after that one. And not even sure it'll go ahead. For now I want to keep building. Will probably run a few races over the coming months but with zero expectations. Onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement

Another sneaky update just as the little fella is about to go to sleep.

All good here. Marked improvements each week for the last few weeks to the point now where mojo is back and in great physical shape in terms of no niggles. Should've gone back to Luke sooner!

Lots of strength based stuff. Lots of decent recovery in the sessions so I'm not fatiguing as the sessions progress. It has worked so far. Excited about my running again...... Albeit amidst a global pandemic. Lol

Interestingly given the stress of what's gone on in the world the last week or two it hasn't impacted me physically. So it seems my aggressive approach to training might be the chief culprit... Maybe... Have struggled a bit with the hysteria and incessant news, social media, what's apps etc in the last week. This craic isn't easy with kids.

Obviously with all races being cancelled it takes racing out of the equation which suits me fine. The big concern is if we go into full lock down and can't get out to run. One interesting thing of note is with all of these cancellations it means the whole dilemma of not getting into Dublin Marathon isn't an issue with Limerick being postponed. Not getting ahead of myself though. I genuinely have no real clue what way the year will pan out. Main focus is getting back to basics, getting consistent with the running and building from there. Whatever we decide in terms of racing will come later. Still a long term goal fella and I don't see that changing. For those interested here's the training from the past two weeks.

March 9th to 15th

Monday 13 mile easy
    Tuesday 50 min v easy
    Wed 50 min easy
    Thurs warm up 2x3 min(90 rec)  3x2 min (90) 4x1 min (90) all @6.10 pace
    Fri 50 min easy
    Saturday OFF
    Sunday warm up 15 min @6.40 pace (5 min after at 6.25 pace), Cooldown

March 2nd to 8th
    Monday 12 mile easy
    Tuesday 50 min v easy
    Wed 50 min easy
    Thurs warm up 2x3 min@ 6.20 (90 rec) 4x1 min@ 6.10 (90 rec) 3x2 min @ 6.10 (90)
    Fri 50 min easy
    Saturday OFF
    Sunday warm up 4x5 min @ 6.40 pace (5 min easy between), Cooldown

Hovering in or around 47-50 miles per week these days.

Never got back to ye on this but I started wearing the Epic React. Its a beaut of a runner. Would be happy to wear it for easy, long, tempo or sessions. I'd almost have it above the pegasus as my go to runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Never got back to ye on this but I started wearing the Epic React. Its a beaut of a runner. Would be happy to wear it for easy, long, tempo or sessions. I'd almost have it above the pegasus as my go to runner.

Ahem... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Never worn the updated Pegasus, but agree with you on the Epic React, a super runner.

Due to the wet conditions, I've become used to wearing the Solar Boost in the past few weeks as it has Continental rubber on the sole - this would be my go to for wet days.

Great to see you back enjoying running!

healy1835 wrote:
    Ahem...

Haha credit to you yes yes.
    Due to the wet conditions, I've become used to wearing the Solar Boost in the past few weeks as it has Continental rubber on the sole - this would be my go to for wet days.

I haven't had any real issues on that front although I have noticed the sole wearing away at a rapid rate.
    Great to see you back enjoying running!

Cheers man. It helps have the boss back at the helm.

I'm doing a really crap job of keeping this log up to date!

The training over the past feew weeks is pretty easy to summarise.
    The Long run has been as always - 13M easy.
    Session 1 on the Thursday for the most part has been lots of CV (6.10) paced stuff.
    Session 2 on the Sunday for the most part has been a tempo (6.40) style session. Last two weeks have had some CV stuff mixed in with the tempo.

Paces are a little on the conservative side right now which is a good thing. Nothing is being forced. I'm not chasing fitness. I'm letting it come to me and it's working.

Having Luke back on board has made the world of difference. I've gone from feeling out of sorts and low in motivation in February, to getting Luke back on board, motivation started improving and the body started coming back to me. First few weeks I still didnt feel much of a flow to my running. The last few weeks though things are starting to click again. Its not such an awkward effort anymore. The tempos and CV paces are starting to feel natural. To be a bit more hippyish there's more of a flow to things now. It's hard to explain.

I guess we're in interesting times so I've had plenty of time to think and reflect on whats going on.

Working from home has definitely helped with stress levels . I'm not sure why.

I'm coping pretty well with the whole isolation thing. I think i'm kinda wired that way where I'm happy to get out for my run and its not such a big issue for me to be in my own (or my families) company. I do miss meeting people though.

I always run alone so no change there.

I always look for the challenge in things. For me the 2km thing is a non issue. I'm happy to run smaller loops. It helps that motivation is high.

The whole "not having a race to target" suits me to be honest. Again, I think im wired that way. I'm happy to train away and improve without thinking about races or times or targets.

I get that some people dont think we should be out for longer runs and we're against the spirit of "brief" but I have my own opinions on that. I'll continue to run safely (including a long run) until told otherwise by a Garda or Varadkar.

I do think, as runners , we should make an extra effort to get out of the way, respect peoples distance, salute and smile. You wouldnt believe it but smiling is contagious too!

The A/R 5k TT is a great idea. I think everyone should get on board with it regardless of what shape theyre in. Just sign up and give it a go. Its a bit of craic and banter. Thanks B for organising.

Will try to update more regularly (says he for the 100th time).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good summary, we have a very similar outlook. Where are you thinking for the 5k TT? Where were you thinking before the 2km Radius?

Good summary, we have a very similar outlook. Where are you thinking for the 5k TT? Where were you thinking before the 2km Radius?

Before the 2km radius Raheen Ind Estate.
    But now I guess it'll most likely be a loop around jetland shopping centre.

April 6th to April 12th 2020

Monday 13 mile easy
    Tuesday 50 min v easy planned but took it off to give the missus a well earned birthday break. She took advantage of it and by god I was fried by the end of the day. Lol
    Wed 50 min easy
    Thurs 8x2 min @ 6.10 (75 sec rec)
    Fri 50 min easy
    Saturday OFF
    Sunday 25 min tempo (10 @ 6.55, 5 @6.35, 10 @ 6.55)

Little bit of a step up on the Thursday so the Sunday session is a repeat of last week and acting as a complementary session to the Thursday rather than having two step ups in the same week. Anyone following Lukes log will see that Sunday session appearing quite a bit too. Nice little summary in his log as to the "why" of the session which is worth a read. I agree completely with the assessment of confidence building. While in the back of my mind it's easy to think back to big 7x1M sessions at threshold effort from days of yore and think this is a far way from that but in reality a lot has changed since then. I've a lot more in my life now since then and have learned the hard way that conservative is best,which is why lukes approach works so well for me. Rarely are you really reaching in any sessions especially early in the year. Training to train.
    In many ways the current situation suits me in that I can train away and forget about races (maybe I said that before).

Everyone is healthy here. Work is challenging from home dealing with project impacts but I'm lucky I can work from home. Family are healthy and the little fella is in his own room now. Waking a few times at night but hopefully that'll settle.

Chocolate continues to be my downfall! Especially today. Lol

I think I have my route for the TT. Not ideal but it should do. No idea what shape I'm in really. Guessing somewhere around mid 18 but we'll see.

Boards is an interesting place these days! Seems like we have an influx of bored people. God help them. At least we're providing some entertainment.

Boards 5k TT Race Report

Can I just start by saying massive credit to B for organising this. Not only was it something to look forward to but it really broke the monotony of weekends which feel no different to weekdays. Credit where its due. Thank you B. That being said I've never seen someone to go to such extremes to get out of running a 5k ;) (too soon?)

Anybody following the log knows my woes towards the latter part of last year. Since the reunion with Luke I've been building nicely albeit having to manage conservatively. Lessons needed to be learned from work/life inbalances. Training has mainly consisted of the usual easy runs, one long maxed at 13M, one tempo style session and one CV session. It's been interesting to see CV pace feature so much. Really worth noting for anyone building.

I had expected this would be a Sunday run but I was offered the spare room last night and didn't think twice. And I took the window of opportunity this morning with the missus on duty.

I decided against wearing the 4%. I just really wanted to see where I was at with no question marks over it. Shame on all of you wearing you're fancy Nikes in a TT ;)

This was a funny one. I didn't feel any nerves. Warmup, strides, drills all good. It wasn't until I set off that my stomach turned. A reminder of pain that lie ahead. The route was mostly flat. Roughly one and a half loops with two small humps.

The first km ticked by and was a nice reminder of what this racing craic is like. I had forgotten that feeling from the first few kms of a race. I guess its different for everyone but for me it's really a horrible fear. Haha. It's like my mind is telling me not to do this. It always goes away though and is replaced by simple pain. First km clocked at 3.31 which I was pleasantly surprised with but knew that wasnt far off pb territory and I'm not in 5k pb shape. The next two kms were a bit of an overreaction to that first km and clocked at 3.43 and 3.41. That being said, the way I felt by the end it was probably a good thing I didn't take these faster.

Into the fourth km and I knew all about it at this stage. I was working. I had set it in my head that once I turned clonmacken roundabout it was all hands to the pump. Easy making plans on the comfort of your couch. I was hanging in there. Managed to pick it up a tad with fourth km clocking at 3.34. Into the last km and working working working. Toxic sweat flying everywhere. What a waste. Tempted to go back and lick it off the kerb. Turn the corner at coonagh. 400m left. In my mind i though sub 18 was a given. A little disappointed to see me tip over 18 with a last km of 3.33. Total time 18.06. I was flogged. Calves cramping. Once I got my breath back I smiled. Great to be back "racing". More of these are needed. Today has been a revelation seeing all the activity in boards and strava. I think the next challenge is beating this to race of the year. We'll see who takes the baton from B. I'd be happy to help although be forewarned ill push for a 10k TT.

Great to be back on the saddle. First race effort since new years day for me. Thanks B. Who's up for a 10k?!!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

10k sounds like a plan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Toxic sweat flying everywhere. What a waste. Tempted to go back and lick it off the kerb.

:pac: :pac:

Had a few spare minutes so I said I'd throw in a quick update.

Recovery has been slow this week. Its as slow a recovery as I've had for a 5k which tells me a few things.
    I put in a decent shift.
    I need to think twice about regular racing/time trials. I don't want to be recovering every month. I think I have a big opportunity to build this year without the interruption of races. Focus isn't really an issue for me right now. Hopefully that continues.

Anyone following me on Strava may (or may not) have noticed I strung together 22 of my slowest consecutive miles ever on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Says a lot about the recovery. Felt good again by Thursday in time for a decent session.

5x 3mins off 60s at 6.10 pace.
    5min jog
    4x1mins off 60s at 5.50 pace.

I was pleasantly surprised at how I felt. All at the effort level I wanted. Spot on. Solid, good form, on my toes, running tall. It's one thing I've really become good at. I knew what pace I was running before looking at the watch. Running on feel. Been some interesting discussion on that in a couple of logs lately. Funny how we are all different. I'm very much a run on feel guy. It's how I like to train and race and get the best out of myself. Always nice to see you hit the paces but for me it's not the end of the world if I don't, as long as the effort felt about right.

This week is a step up from the previous block. Happy to see it. Interestingly, for the first time ever, me and Luke are doing very similar training although I suspect that won't last long as his fitness returns!

Work/life stress is reasonably manageable at the moment. I am finding myself more drained in the evenings with this lockdown. I think it's a case of the subconscious working away without me realising.

All in all reasonably happy although still not fully recovered from last weekends efforts. Diet has been hit and miss but no weight gain. Must do better.

Nice little article from Magness. I can't link on my phone so just add www. to the link below.

The 5 Rules of Training:

1. The boring stuff is your foundation

2. Let it Come, Don't Force it.

3. Take the Next Logical Step

4. You lose what you don't train

5. Train the individual, not the system

scienceofrunning.com/2020/05/the-5-rules-of-training.html

Best five euro I ever spent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos