Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chapter 2 - Finding Nemo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

On reflection I'm thankful for the poxyness of it haha. I didnt want to be thinking about any sort of pb or anything like that yesterday. I'm pretty happy that I got a real mental toughness check...stinker of a course but every now and then they are great. you can forget completely about times and pb's and all that crap.

Monday - Easy 6M @ 8.21min/mile
    Legs were pretty tired from the race. My ass discovered muscles it never knew it had. The run helped get the blood flowing.

Tuesday - A mini session of 12x1min @ 6min/mile pace Off 90s recovery.
    Legs were worse on Tuesday believe it or not. Definitely more sore than the day before. Glutes even worse. God, thinking back on that course the legs really took a hammering. Anyway the session itself was good. Not a difficult session by any stretch and tailored for the tired legs.
    Splits were 5.33/5.56/6.00/5.51/6.03/5.49/5.55/5.37/5.50/5.49/5.48/6.05.
    Some way off the mark. I've always found those shorter sessions a little tricky to judge and I always seem to veer on the side of too fast instead of too slow. It's a very short stress so I'm not worried but it would be nice to start honing in on the pace a bit better for those short snappy sessions.
    Total mileage for the session with warmup and cooldown: 8.05 miles

Wednesday - Easy 7M @ 8:16min/mile
    The most annoying wind! Can't understand this weather. It's all over the place. Last week I went from wearing gloves, to being blown all over the place, to running in a tshirt in lovely heat. Anyway this run was easy but annoying. Legs still not great especially the glutes.

Thursday - Easy 7M @ 8.09min/mile
    Had to get out early in the morning for this as I was meeting a friend visiting from Boston during my normal running lunch. He had ran the marathon and did pretty well. 2:58 in those conditions was very good. We had a good chat about running and what his plans were and what mine were and all that craic. Anyway the run was nice. Lovely morning. Legs were starting to come back to me. About time I thought!

Friday - 10 x 800m @ alternating 6:10/6:30min/mile off 75s Recovery
    Lovely looking session and one where I had a few questions for coach. At first glance I thought the reason for the split paces was some sort of stress management but what this session actually does is dip over threshold and then force the body to use that lactate as a fuel source. Found it very interesting. Anyway the sessions itself; not as bad as I thought it would be. I headed out onto the roads for this one. Stayed away from the flat industrial estate. This is definitely a session for the legs. Breathing and heart rate are all fine (comfortably hard) throughout the session. That was managed nicely by coach - wanted to keep me away from redlining at any stage and I definitely felt I didnt. I didn't have to work overly hard for any of them. 800m is just about short enough where mentally you can tell yourself its just a bit more than 3mins.

Splits were;
    6.09/6.29
    6.07/6.22
    6.05/6.21
    6.08/6.30
    6.09/6.27

Not bad. Easier to settle into the pace given more time. Felt strong on each. Legs probably a bit tired by the last set. Was happy to get this done.
    Total mileage for the session: 9.18 miles.

Saturday - Easy 14M
    Took the usual route around by the bank of the river out to UL and back. Beautiful morning. I love those long runs on days like that. So many runners out. You'd know the Great Limerick Run was approaching. I passed the parkrun just as they were all gathering. Nice crowd there. Legs were ok. Tired by mile 10. Had to work a bit for the last couple of miles.

Total mileage for the week was 51.2 miles. Another solid week. Feel like I'm saying that a lot lately which I guess is a good sign.

Next up is the Limerick Half Marathon in two weeks. Got this weeks plan - big week ahead! Should have me in decent shape for Limerick.
    Really looking forward to the half. It's been a long time since I raced one - May of last year IIRC. Half Thru the Heart.
    I remember saying on here i'd like to run a sub 1.30 half this year and someone said (not sure who?) i'd be disappointed with that given the shape i'd be in and that's probably the case. I think sub 1.30 for Limerick is my minimum expectation. What the A target is i'm not sure yet. I plan on racing Charleville in Sept with a big proper block of half marathon training behind me. For Limerick i'll probably be lacking some longer, chunky sessions but that's ok. Looking forward to giving it a good crack and seeing what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

And your definitely not sandbagging? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

sandbags-1.jpg?fit=2089%2C711

Haha hang on a sec lads didn't I just say 1.30 was minimum? I haven't actually given ye my target. Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Haha hang on a sec lads didn't I just say 1.30 was minimum? I haven't actually given ye my target. Haha

Even a 36.59 10k gives a HM of 1.21.

You ran ~36:04 so, that must knock a min or so off that - so 1:20, and then add on a couple for lack of training. So 1.22.16 is the target. Its all scientific.

Mind games before the Glue Factory outing at Charleville - lulling me into a false sense of security I reckon! :P

(only joking)

Haha sounds great in theory AMK. Emphasis on "theory".

Haha HBS. We're all on the same team. No mind games.

Monday - Easy 6M at 8.04min/mile
    Felt super on this run. If only I could figure out how to have days like this more often. I think partly due to the fact baba is sleeping a little better so I am (was) getting better rest.

Tuesday - 5x1200m off 2mins targeting 5.50min/mile pace.
    Decided to try out the new Nikes on this one. Saw them for sale in Lifestyle and couldn't leave them behind. The session itself was great. As always, the first 1200m the effort level felt a little high as my body is still warming up. Maybe I should think about improving my warmup which at the moment is just two miles easy. The remaining four sets went great. Well documented on here already how I feel about these sessions.
    Splits 5.52 / 5.48 / 5.50 / 5.50 / 5.53
    Pretty much bang on. The Nikes felt great. Definitely racers and I'll only be using them for shorter stuff. There's nothing to them. Very light and very little support.
    Total mileage for the session: 8.2 miles.

Wednesday and Thursday - Easy 7M at 8.05min/mile and 8.04/mile.
    Wedneaday was ok. Bit of indigestion and acid reflux but I got over it.
    Thursday was a beaut of a day and I had 6hrs sleep! A new well rested man.

Friday - 7x1M at 6.15min/mile pace off reducing Recoveries of 3min/2.30/2/1.30/1/30
    A tough looking session on paper and an area I know needs improving. Did just over a mile warmup and eased into the pace. Again, the first one always feels a bit harder. Felt fine though. The 3min recovery was great. Haha. There's not too much to say about the second to sixth miles apart from the fact the session got tougher as it went on with the reducing recoveries. By the seventh I was digging in a bit but form was still good. Effort level definitely higher. Feeling pretty stubborn at this stage and pushed on for the seventh. It's not often I indulge myself and I'm usually pretty good at trying to stick to what's prescribed. By the seventh my mentality was a bit "f*ck you session you're not beating me". Pretty tired by the end. Definitely felt all of that session.
    Splits were ;
    6.16 / 6.16 / 6.18 / 6.15 / 6.21 / 6.17 / 6.03
    I'll allow myself that stubborn last one just this one time. 😂
    Total mileage for the session was 10 miles.

Saturday - Easy 14 miles at 8min/mile.
    Beautiful morning outside. There's nothing quite like taking off on a long run on mornings like these. Decided to try to encorporate as much of the Great Limerick Half route as possible. It was definitely a nice change to run this route. From a race perspective its not the best route by any stretch. Definitely a route set up to minimize costs for the organisers. Was nice to be able to see where the bumps, drags and drops are though. I live in Limerick but wouldn't necessarily be familiar with all of the route.
    As for the run itself it was enjoyable given the sunshine. Legs felt surprisingly good after a hard week. Definitely feel the difference in the heat.

All in all a great week. Surprised myself with how good I felt all week. On paper I expected to be a bit wrecked.
    So Limerick Half next weekend and really looking forward to it. When I first gave coach my race plan for the first half of this year I had highlighted Ennis and Limerick as the two races I wanted to concentrate on. The only downside is there hasn't been a lot of time to do half marathon specific stuff but that's no excuse. Looking forward to the challenge. It's a whole different ballgame when you get to this longer stuff. Very unforgiving. Roll on next Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

you're in great shape P - enjoy the next week, you've put yourself in a great position for Limerick

Duanington wrote:
    you're in great shape P - enjoy the next week, you've put yourself in a great position for Limerick

Cheers D. Decent shape. Bit of an unknown quantity for me with the half distance but can't wait for it

Not my usual happy go lucky self this week. lol. Rough rough week of constant night waking and tired/stressed/niggly heads in the Swashbuckler household but what can you do I guess.

Monday-Easy 7M @ 8.05min/mile. The start of what has been an extremely draining week. The run itself was fine. Physically (running wise) I've felt great this week. Felt in really good shape. No niggles or anything like that. It's the fatigue and tiredness that has been the issue and not from the running.

Tuesday - 5x3mins @ 5.50min/mile Off 75s. 5x30s Hard Off 60s.
    Part of me considered not doing the session but I knew in my heart I'd regret it if I didn't. To be honest this wasn't one of those days where I wasn't able for a session. I was just feeling a tad sorry for myself.lol. Effort levels were definitely higher but that was in no small part to the gusting wind. Very hard to judge the effort levels on this one as you'll see from a couple of the splits.
    Summary of the session. First 3mins was as hard as the first set of an interval session usually is for me.
    Next couple were fine but I could definitely feel the tiredness. The last two had a small section of headwind and a pretty long section of tailwind hence the faster splits.
    The 30s would normally be my favourite part of this but I just wanted to be done with the session to be honest. Just one of those days.

Paces for the 3min splits were: 5.53/5.46/5.55/5.34/5.41.
    Paces for the 30s splits were: 4.54/4.53/4.51/4.54/5.11. Legs didnt have much by the last 30s.
    Total mileage for the session was 7.09 miles.

Wedensday and Thursday - Easy 5M. Took in some sections of the Limerick Half route which was great. Got a feel for the bumps and drags on the Dooradoyle/Raheen side. I'm already very familiar with the Ennis Road side so I have a good feel for the route which is not something I can say very often.

Friday - Rest.

Saturday - Plan is to do a 20min shakeout/recovery.

Sunday - Race day.

So there you have it. It is what it is. One of those weeks where you're just fed up and wrecked and absolutely nothing to do with the running. Spoke with coach earlier in the week about babies and race tactics. haha. Nice to see another running Dad on the scene. Plan is to start off at roughly 6.20 pace and see from there. This one is hard to gauge for me. I haven't ran a half since May last year. My pb of 1:31:35 is from years ago. I was really looking forward to the challenge. Right now I'm a little less bright eyed and bushy tailed. Hopefully I get some sort of sleep the next couple of days and I get to have a good crack at this. Either way no excuses. We all have to balance life with our running. Weather looks like it could be in or around 15 degrees. I'll have to invest in some shades ;) Roll on Sunday.

Really all you need to do is to beat 1:23 and have 1 more up on me. You'd do that in your sleep.

Seriously though - thats a tough race week, but come race day, you'll be ready. The 1st few miles will be the key, so keep them focused at 6:20 pace, you'll be dying to go faster!

Looking fwd to hearing all about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck Sunday, run well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Really all you need to do is to beat 1:23 and have 1 more up on me. You'd do that in your sleep.

Seriously though - thats a tough race week, but come race day, you'll be ready. The 1st few miles will be the key, so keep them focused at 6:20 pace, you'll be dying to go faster!

Looking fwd to hearing all about it.

This x 1000. Especially since you haven't raced a half in a long time. It's very easy to get caught up in the madness at the start; you'll feel like you're almost at walking pace.

You've got some great results this year, right up to 10 miles. The extra 3.1 miles will be no barrier to another PB. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I have no doubt you will smash it! Best of luck :)

Best of luck Sunday, enjoy the distance - you've tonnes of fitness in the bag now and should back yourself as the race goes on

Good luck and don't go out like a hare. You'll be grand.

You'd do that in your sleep.

I'm not sure the irony was intentional but well done. haha

Thanks everyone. I've probably learned not to judge how you feel until you get moving on race day. Just a tough week. Absolutely draining but i'll suck it up. Thanks for the advice. Key thing seems to be stay controlled in the first few miles so I'll take that on board (was also the advice from L).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck on Sunday. I’m doing it too. Hopefully won’t be too warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

All the best for Sunday. Big PB on the way. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭healy1835

Best of luck tomorrow mate. A great time is there for the taking, play it by ear as the man says, see how the 6:20's feel for a few miles and then make your decision. Run well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

All the best mate! No bother to you. Might catch you in the locke for a pint after if you're around:)

Well done lad! I have to admit, I feared the worst when you disappeared off the tracker, but no fear there!

healy1835 wrote:
    Best of luck tomorrow mate. A great time is there for the taking, play it by ear as the man says, see how the 6:20's feel for a few miles and then make your decision. Run well.

Cheers all. Sneaky fecker Healy. What a run!

Safiri wrote:
    All the best mate! No bother to you. Might catch you in the locke for a pint after if you're around

Never made it that far man but cheers. Was there yesterday and presumed it would be worse today. Enjoy the pints. Were u running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Never made it that far man but cheers. Was there yesterday and presumed it would be worse today. Enjoy the pints. Were u running?

Not today, just arrived in Dublin Airport but will make an appearance in the city at some stage tonight. Howd you get on?

1:21:43 with report to follow and despite the rumors I did finish and I didn't cut the course. Haha

Marathon runners are badass lunatics. Yes that's how I've chosen to open my Great Limerick Half race report. Coz that's the major takeaway I have from yesterday. How on earth do ye badass lunatics do that for 26.2 miles. The half felt like a whole different ballgame entirely. A completely different feeling to the 10k. In hindsight, the best worst feeling I've had if that makes any sense.

Anyway I'm rambling. I've had time to reflect. Usually I'd be straight on with my race report but between finishing the race (yes I did finish), getting the legs massaged out, trying to find wife and baba, finding them, watch her video of me waddling to the finish line (yes waddle. I told coach we need to do some work on my running technique haha), home to shower, into town followed by the most wonderful family day of sun, drinks, food and walks. My favorite weekend in Limerick bar none and I'm living here since 2005. We even got to hear bellx1 do there sound check while sitting in the sun by the river outside the Curragower. Beautiful. Anyway I continue to ramble.

It's been well documented how crappy my sleep was all week (since November) so I woke Sunday morning off the back of what I now call a decent night's sleep. Only woke at 3am and 5am so not so bad. Got up at 6.45, took baba downstairs, had brekkie (one diuralyte, two weetabix, wholegrain bagel with mashed banana). Listened to some music and relaxed. Not Disney this time. I've learned the hard way not to listen to Frozen before a race unless you want 'let it go' repeating through your head for the entirety of the race. I'll be honest I was a little nervous. I haven't raced a half since May last year and that was run with no real target. PB is from Charleville years ago 1.31.35 or something like that. So slight fear of the unknown. Words of encouragement and advice from Coach, AMK and a few others on here definitely helped. The consensus bar none was conservative first few miles and see from there. In hindsight very solid advice and not what I would've done without the advice so thanks everyone. I said goodbye to the missus and baba and collected my buddy at 9.30 and drove into town. Parked up, stripped and off we went. Great encouragement from passers by even on the way to the start line. Got to the start line around 10am and headed out for warmup. Headed out the first mile of the route and back. Felt good. Some short strides. All good. Cut the warmup slightly short to support the marathon leaders coming through. Martin Doody came through halfway around 1.12ish. Ouch. They actually had the road split for the marathon and half marathon which was very good considering some of the faster marathon crowd would be coming through as we were starting. Headed back up to the start line. Met some people I knew. Lots of good lucks and how are you feeling. The usual. Haha.
    Had to listen to a few speeches before we got going. Not to be mean but I just want to run. Let us loose please! . Haha. Bob Geldof gave us some words of encouragement and counted us down. Off we went. I had positioned myself about 8 rows from the front. I was ahead of the 1.30 pacer so I figured that was fair position. Had to do a decent amount of zig zagging but was ademant to stick to pace and ignore around me. 6.20 was the target and I was happy to see that exact pace after 800m. By now I had cleared the worst of the crowd and was in a nice open stretch of runners. Around here a lad i know from work and Limerick Ac came up beside me. He's the lad I had marked off in Adare. Sound fella and we're at similar level right now so we exchanged targets for the day and paired up for a bit. Delighted to have someone to work with. Mile 1 clocked 6.17. Good man Paul. You listened.
    Mile 2 had a drag by Old Crescent rugby but nothing major. Actually I was surprised I really didn't feel the drags in the first few miles. Probably due to the handy pace and working with a group. Still going handy. Pace felt pretty handy as I was foretold by Wubble. Spot on with the advice lads. Still working with Limerick AC buddy.
    Mike 2 clocked 6.19. Still following advice. Haha.
    Mile 3 brings you up into Dooradoyle. I know these roads like the back of my hand. Here we passed another Limerick Ac lad running the marathon. This was the lad the worked with me in Ennis so I was seriously rooting for him to do well. He was on target for sub 3 but had already cramped. Gave him as much encouragement as I could and pushed on. Mile 4 and 5 loop around and back down Rossbrien road. On mile 4 Limerick Ac buddy had pushed on and I left him off. I was judging how I felt and the pace was getting a little tougher partly due to heat and partly due to a quicker mile 4.
    Mile 3, 4 and 5 clocked at 6.17, 6.08, 6.13. The quicker mile was partly due to familiarity with the route and the great support we got in the housing estates. No biggie. I felt it a bit and knew I didn't want to go near that pace yet. Not due to advice but just knowing what was coming plus the heat was picking up a bit. The downside was limerick Ac guy was gone and I was a little isolated. If this was a 10k I'd have pushed with him but it just felt to soon. So I held and isolated myself. Worth it in the end.
    Mile 6 was back up Rossbrien road. Some lads had come back to me. Tried opening a chat with one of them as he was bang on 6.15 pace. He had very little to say in return. Haha. So I let him be. He continued to go backwards. On my own again. Mile 6 clocked at 6.12 and it was now what I would consider hot. In fairness there were plenty of water stations and the only one I skipped was the last one on mile 12. I knew we were heading back into town. After the big drag at the start of mile 7 it's all flat into town and I knew the support would be a boost. Mile 7 and 8 are pretty much through the city. A great feeling running through the main streets. All traffic closed and great support from everyone. A real boost.
    Mile 7 and 8 clocked at 6.18 and 6.09. 6.18 was a little slower coz of that fecker of a pull past lidl.
    So by now I felt like I thought I should. Working for sure but not flat out. Legs tiring a small bit. What I hadn't accounted for was the mental hit you take when you head away from the city and into the deadest part of the route. North circular road is just a drain mentally. Coming from all that cheering to what feels like nothingness. No offense to the residents but the support here was sparse to say the least. It was here I had to constantly repeat positive reinforcements in my head. You've felt a lot worse than this before Paul. You're doing great. Fair play Paul you're brilliant. Haha. Funnily enough the Yes campaign posters really helped. I just kept seeing Yes Yes Yes. All positive reinforcements. By now had taken the mentality of picking off people to keep me going. It was roasting at this stage so whatever works you do it. I had caught up with a lad i had my eye on for a couple of miles. He was much more chatty. He was targeting 82. He wasn't local so I explained to him what was ahead and to keep going coz we had a nice downhill respite coming on the Ennis road. Unfortunately he didn't want to hang with the pace. I had eased upped the pace a small bit by now. So he dropped off. I wished him well.
    I was surprised at how many people I was passing. I had caught back up with Limerick Ac guy. He was finding it tough. I told him to stick worth me and we'll work together. Had a bit of of banter with a couple of marathon lads. They thought we were running the marathon and heading towards 2.30. I laughed at that. Nah lads we're running the half. Why do you think we're looking so fresh. Wished them well and pushed on. It's now a mental battle. Very warm but can't honestly say it affected my running too much. Maybe it did and I didn't realise it. Limerick Ac guy couldn't stay with me so I had to leave him behind. Pity coz I was now isolated again.
    Mile 9 and 10 were 6.17 and 6.15. We're now at the business end.
    Mile 11 in a way is a bit of respite as it's flat followed by downhill to the Gaa grounds. But the downside is on the opposite side of the road you see all the lads ahead of you coming back up towards their last mile. Mentally tough. But it's how you deal with these mental challenges that separates the lads who push on from the lads who fall apart. I knew mile 11 would be decent given the downhill section. Mile 11 clocked at 6.10. The next mile was going to be horrible. I knew that. Two big drags, sun beating down, legs just screaming, lungs working hard. Focus Paul. No way you're quitting now. Just hang in there and then it's flat to the line for the last mile. Passed more people but this was just really tough. That hill back up past the Gaa grounds was horrible. On the plus side you now get the slight mental boost of seeing everyone on the opposite side struggling with you. I made it to the top of the hill and knew then I wasn't gonna quit on myself. That was it. The worst of it was done.
    Mile 12 clocked at a really tough and hard earned 6.22.
    I had read during the week that for the latter stages of the half just pick someone ahead of you and focus on catching them. Then pick the next and so on. And that's what I did. Now the support was building again. Keep going Paul. Well done legs. I know you're hurting but it'll be all over soon. Keep working with me. Haha. Might sound strange but I talk to my body like it's a separate person when I run, telling the legs that they're doing great and thanking the lungs for hanging in there and promising the brain I'll load up with chocolate later. Haha.
    I passed a lot of people on the last mile but by now I was really hanging on for dear life. The last few hundred meters of limerick run can be very confusing. They have what looks like a bunch of finishing lines but knowing from experience you have to pass through these and the line is on O'Connell st. I approached the final turn shoulder to shoulder with my last target. To be honest I didn't feel like I had much left to muster a battle but stubbornness got the better of me and I just couldn't leave it be. So one final "sprint" and he had no response. Both legs gave a quick shot of cramp as I approached the line but all OK. Mile 13 clocked at 6.04 and the 0.12 clocked at 5.41 pace (40s).
    Official time 1:21:43.
    I was buckled. Put the arm around the medic and he sat me down. Haha. I was fine. Just legs like jelly. Sat for 2 mins, Thanked them and headed up towards the massage tent. Much to my delight there was no queue so I had a lovely calf massage which helped a lot. Headed up to collect my medal. Met a few people I knew and checked how they got on. Lots of pbs. My Ennis partner ran 2.58 and stopped twice with cramp. Delighted he got his sub 3 and there's more in him for definite. Happy days. Finally managed to locate wife and baba and she was delighted. Watched my waddle video, laughed at how wrecked I was. We hung around for a while before heading home for shower and post race Riverfest craic.

So there you have it (sorry for the giant essay). I'd like to say it's a massive pb but I have to be honest with myself, it was a soft pb and from years ago. So for me, this is now my baseline for the half and I'll be attacking that pb in Charleville. I expect HBS to be in sub 1:20 shape by then so we can work together ;). Absutely delighted with that run. Sure, delighted with the time but more importantly I proved a few things to myself. The 5ks and 10ks are a lot more forgiving. To run a half or full on the edge of where you're at takes balls coz you pretty much don't find out until it's too late that you're f*cked. Haha. With a 5k you will get warning signs quickly and you can ease back a bit. Similar with the 10k. The half is a different beast and don't even get me started on the full. Much respect to you marathon lads and ladies. So I'm happy I ran to my edge. Racing the half takes a lot of skill.
    Another pleasing aspect is I'm aligning up my times across the distances which tells me I'm getting much stronger as a runner. We can all run fast 5ks but the real skill seems to be doing it across the spectrum of distances.
    So to sum up, a great day at the running office. I think that was my best run so far. Better than Ennis, Adare, anything previous. Tough as hell but looking back I loved it and hated it. Only runners understand what that means. My wife still looks at me weird when I say that.

The tracker tells me I passed 55 people which is quite high compared to the top 30. The positioning on the website seems wrong. It has me finishing behind the guy I passed at the end. Not sure what's going on there but who cares really. So I finished 31st which ain't bad considering the standard! Had a good laugh seeing the comments on the Limerick thread when I disappeared off the tracker. Yes lads I did finish and I have the video to prove it. Haha. It was fun to see me (amongst others) being one of the runners tracked on Boards. I'm so used to following others.

Next up is a week of easy followed by a 5k block and trying to get that 5k pb in line with where I'm at. I have a 5k in Shanagolden in a few weeks but that's more of a baseline than anything. I'll have done no specific 5k stuff for that. Looking forward to a downweek. I think it's been 24weeks solid since me and coach started working together. My god some difference in my running in that time. And all with a new baby, promotion at work and very little sleep! Haha. Who knows what I might achieve when I start sleeping again. Coz I will start sleeping again? Right?

Thanks to everyone for the support and advice. It genuinely helped.

• Advertisement

To be honest I didn't feel like I had much left to muster a battle but stubbornness got the better of me and I just couldn't leave it be. So one final "sprint" and he had no response. Both legs gave a quick shot of cramp as I approached the line but all OK. Mile 13 clocked at 6.04 and the 0.12 clocked at 5.41 pace (40s).
    Official time 1:21:43.
    I was buckled. Put the arm around the medic and he sat me down. Haha. I was fine. Just legs like jelly. Sat for 2 mins, Thanked them and headed up towards the massage tent. Much to my delight there was no queue so I had a lovely calf massage which helped a lot. Headed up to collect my medal. Met a few people I knew and checked how they got on. Lots of pbs. My Ennis partner ran 2.58 and stopped twice with cramp. Delighted he got his sub 3 and there's more in him for definite. Happy days. Finally managed to locate wife and baba and she was delighted. Watched my waddle video, laughed at how wrecked I was. We hung around for a while before heading home for shower and post race Riverfest craic.

So there you have it (sorry for the giant essay). I'd like to say it's a massive pb but I have to be honest with myself, it was a soft pb and from years ago. So for me, this is now my baseline for the half and I'll be attacking that pb in Charleville. I expect HBS to be in sub 1:20 shape by then so we can work together ;). Absutely delighted with that run. Sure, delighted with the time but more importantly I proved a few things to myself. The 5ks and 10ks are a lot more forgiving. To run a half or full on the edge of where you're at takes balls coz you pretty much don't find out until it's too late that you're f*cked. Haha. With a 5k you will get warning signs quickly and you can ease back a bit. Similar with the 10k. The half is a different beast and don't even get me started on the full. Much respect to you marathon lads and ladies. So I'm happy I ran to my edge. Racing the half takes a lot of skill.
    Another pleasing aspect is I'm aligning up my times across the distances which tells me I'm getting much stronger as a runner. We can all run fast 5ks but the real skill seems to be doing it across the spectrum of distances.
    So to sum up, a great day at the running office. I think that was my best run so far. Better than Ennis, Adare, anything previous. Tough as hell but looking back I loved it and hated it. Only runners understand what that means. My wife still looks at me weird when I say that.

The tracker tells me I passed 55 people which is quite high compared to the top 30. The positioning on the website seems wrong. It has me finishing behind the guy I passed at the end. Not sure what's going on there but who cares really. So I finished 31st which ain't bad considering the standard! Had a good laugh seeing the comments on the Limerick thread when I disappeared off the tracker. Yes lads I did finish and I have the video to prove it. Haha. It was fun to see me (amongst others) being one of the runners tracked on Boards. I'm so used to following others.

Next up is a week of easy followed by a 5k block and trying to get that 5k pb in line with where I'm at. I have a 5k in Shanagolden in a few weeks but that's more of a baseline than anything. I'll have done no specific 5k stuff for that. Looking forward to a downweek. I think it's been 24weeks solid since me and coach started working together. My god some difference in my running in that time. And all with a new baby, promotion at work and very little sleep! Haha. Who knows what I might achieve when I start sleeping again. Coz I will start sleeping again? Right?

Thanks to everyone for the support and advice. It genuinely helped.

Says a lot about the length of that report that Boards cut it halfway. Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done some epic racing on a very hot day! and what a great report enjoyed it all :)

Super work out there, delighted you got the time your training deserves. In Charlville there'll be other runners around you to work with.

Looking fwd to seeing what the 5ks bring you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done. You ran a brilliant race. Glad you did so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

fantastic running P and what a great report, enjoyed it immensely. Enjoy your down week. Try some light meditation before bed to turn off the mind and aid sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That's a brilliant run, especially in that heat. Congrats on the PB, and no doubt you'll improve on it again in Charleville.

Great report, and it really describes the half marathon experience very well. Very intelligent racing and pacing from you. Definitely a different feeling from the shorter stuff - the fatigue/pain creeps up on you and you'll pay if you don't reign it in at the start. Well done.
    You got a good glimpse into your future as a badass lunatic too I see :D.

That's a great result, P - well deserved and I'm not a bit surprised. Well executed plan and you dug in when you had to, can't ask for more than that.

No doubt you'll be revising that PB before the year is out too, keep up the great work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brilliant race and brilliant report, well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done! Great report too. Nothing wrong with a bit of "Let it go" while running, I've had many a run with the words "I'm at one with the wind and skyyyyyy!" and "the cold never bothered me anyway" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Enjoyed reading that - some great reflection and insights. Congrats on a terrific race.

Thanks everyone. You're all far too kind.

AMK I'm just piling the pressure on HBS for Charleville. He made a promise we'd work together. ;)

Anne I'll have to get one of them meditation tapes for sure. Who knows they may even make herself sleep. Haha.

HBS it'll be a while before I touch the marathon. Definitely not this year for sure but eventually yes. So I've a while before I'm a true badass lunatic.

Chickey I've learned the hard way in Adare. One line of the song just repeated over and over and over again. *Shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Absolutely fantastic, both the race report and the result! Long may your star continue to rise and your enthusiasm with it. Your training has been amazingly consistent ( I can't get over how many easy runs you hit 8:04 bang on) and well executed. Enjoy the rewards you're reaping :-)

skyblue46 wrote:
    Absolutely fantastic, both the race report and the result! Long may your star continue to rise and your enthusiasm with it. Your training has been amazingly consistent ( I can't get over how many easy runs you hit 8:04 bang on) and well executed. Enjoy the rewards you're reaping :-)

Haha cheers S. To be honest everyone's enthusiasm and drive on this forum is contagious. It really drives me on.
    I've often wondered about those easy runs. The fact theyre all so consistent makes me ask myself if I'm truly running them easy or defaulting into that pace regardless. Of late some of them have slowed down a bit which is good. Mostly due to the fact coach has kicked my ass with some of the sessions so I've had no choice. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

That was a great report. Fantastic racing and well done on the PB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent report that now, have done the half in Limerick two times over the last 5 years or so and your report is very good insight for anyone looking to gauge the route itself. I really dislike leaving the city centre for the last few miles to go out to the GAA grounds and back in. Maybe it's the nature of how you feel at that stage in a hal but I wish they'd change that aspect to have you only come into the city centre for the finish (the drag after the turn at the grounds is painful). The poor full people have to run out of town, back in again, out again, back in again!
    Great stuff on a huge pb, doesn't matter if the previous one was soft or otherwise...keep up the good work.

diego_b wrote:
    Excellent report that now, have done the half in Limerick two times over the last 5 years or so and your report is very good insight for anyone looking to gauge the route itself. I really dislike leaving the city centre for the last few miles to go out to the GAA grounds and back in. Maybe it's the nature of how you feel at that stage in a hal but I wish they'd change that aspect to have you only come into the city centre for the finish (the drag after the turn at the grounds is painful). The poor full people have to run out of town, back in again, out again, back in again! Great stuff on a huge pb, doesn't matter if the previous one was soft or otherwise...keep up the good work.

Cheers Diego. Much appreciated!

Yeah it's the only aspect of the race I'd fault. Heading out onto north circular and knowing what lay ahead on Brookville Avenue and up past gaa grounds just makes it worse.

A very easy week to log. Easy 40mins x 5 days. Wanted to run Monday but time didn't allow.

This was my first down week since coach started kicking my ass last November. 25 weeks of consistent training. Two runs missed in that time. One abandoned session due to illness and one missed run due to snow. Pretty happy with that consistency.

In or around 50 miles per week apart from race weeks. Can't remember how many races in that time. Seven I think. All pbs believe it or not although technically I had never run a 5M or 10M but it still counts right?! I'll give a full review at the end of the year but after 25 weeks I'm very happy with how far I've come.

Only few things of note this week were baby sleeping better and we're back in Kerry most weekends now so weekend runs will have a refreshing new location to enjoy. I didn't know myself after a full night's sleep. It showed in the easy run the next day. I just felt like a different man. More of those nights please.

Entering a 5k block now and running in Shanagolden in two weeks. Won't have much 5k stuff done for it but it was one race I asked coach if I could run. It'll at least act as a marker for where I'm at starting this block. Struggling to find target races in my neck of the woods in June timeframe. Would love to run at the Irish 5k pbs but it's in the middle of my holidays. But we'll see. Nothing decided yet. Looking forward to getting back into some sessions. I've had my downweek now roll on the next phase.

Actually I tell a lie. Lahinch wasn't a pb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement