Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer RESTARTS randomly.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Ah what a pain for you after getting the new psu.

I'd say it has to be a fault with the mobo too.
    It could even be a dodgy Dimm slot so I would Try running memtest again on the one stick.It should be much faster with just the one stick installed.

Check the manual and see if you can run a single stick on a different Dimm.

The only plus thing I can say is you have nearly ruled out everything bar the mobo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

game4it70 wrote: »
    Ah what a pain for you after getting the new psu.

I'd say it has to be a fault with the mobo too.
    It could even be a dodgy Dimm slot so I would Try running memtest again on the one stick.It should be much faster with just the one stick installed.

Check the manual and see if you can run a single stick on a different Dimm.

The only plus thing I can say is you have nearly ruled out everything bar the mobo :(

I will try that RAM thing as well, although, I once put two sticks in the wrong slot in the midst of all this and it didn't boot up at all so I doubt that the MB allows that.

What even more annoying is that the retailer that I bought al this from is HWVS. AND, that was just 2 months over 3 years ago. In the ASUS website, it says motherboard standard warranty is 3 years, however TUF is 5 years. Now if only someone could shed light on ehat TUF is, I would know what my MB would fall under. If it is 'standard', feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I will try that RAM thing as well, although, I once put two sticks in the wrong slot in the midst of all this and it didn't boot up at all so I doubt that the MB allows that.

What even more annoying is that the retailer that I bought al this from is HWVS. AND, that was just 2 months over 3 years ago. In the ASUS website, it says motherboard standard warranty is 3 years, however TUF is 5 years. Now if only someone could shed light on ehat TUF is, I would know what my MB would fall under. If it is 'standard', feck.

Probably this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technischer_%C3%9Cberwachungsverein

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

If the motherboard was always going to fail (i.e. if it was defective), and you can prove it, i think warranty extends longer.

BUT..

I am not sure, i think that warranty it is with the supplier :( (even though that makes less sense).

Well I went ahead and sent Asus a message(all I can do, really). I hope they realise that the retailer has closed down and do something about it. Basically their customer service department would have to do 2 gestures of good will if they are going to entertain this issue at al which are going past manufacturer's warranty AND dealing with it despite the retailer closing down. That would be absolutely fantastic, yes. Reasonable, maybe? But I don't think I have grounds to nag them of anything. It is a pity though that it happened just feckin 2 months after.

• Advertisement

Now, there are only two things left regarding troubleshooting that I haven't touched. CPU and MB. Is there any chance at all that this could be the CPU? I just want insights about that as I REALLY do not have the means to 'test' that aspect out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

There's a chance. I've been building PCs for over 15 years and I had never come across a faulty CPU until this summer. It would randomly reset but died completely soon after symptoms started. So I've come across one bad CPU in that time but countless motherboards.

Maybe get a replacement CPU and Motherboard from Amazon to see which is faulty, from my experience they will accept the return of opened items.

tuxy wrote: »
    There's a chance. I've been building PCs for over 15 years and I had never come across a faulty CPU until this summer. It would randomly reset but died completely soon after symptoms started. So I've come across one bad CPU in that time but countless motherboards.

Maybe get a replacement CPU and Motherboard from Amazon to see which is faulty, from my experience they will accept the return of opened items.

I really hope I financially could. I really hope I could. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Nvidia defect had a load of forums and blogs that popped up with information about defective items. I think many of them were closed down after agreeing terms with the manufacturers of the devices involved.

If your board is defective and has many people reporting the same problem, then you may be able to get them to replace it pretty quickly without them having to admit anything.

I wouldn't get your hopes up with Asus rma.They don't have a good rep when it comes to actually rma'ing something with them.TUF is just a range of mobos they do so I presume your mobo does not have it in its name.

Slim chance that there maybe a short causing the restarts.Try building the basic set up outside the case to test.

What Cpu and mobo do you have?
    Apologies if you have said already.

Did you try using memtest?
    This is a newish version that can be run in windows.

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    I wouldn't get your hopes up with Asus rma.They don't have a good rep when it comes to actually rma'ing something with them.TUF is just a range of mobos they do so I presume your mobo does not have it in its name.

Slim chance that there maybe a short causing the restarts.Try building the basic set up outside the case to test.

What Cpu and mobo do you have?
    Apologies if you have said already.

Did you try using memtest?
    This is a newish version that can be run in windows.

Not really getting my hopes up for anything at this point. At the moment what I'm doing is just looking around for where I could buy a motherboard.

Any prerequisites regarding building outside the case? I haven't done it ever.

i5 4690k and Asus z97 Wifi Pro AC

Should I really still bother regarding the memtest? I mean, I am using different RAM altogether, and, if it was the DIMM slot, then it's still a case od replacing the motherboard, so is it still worth even trying?

Suckit wrote: »
    The Nvidia defect had a load of forums and blogs that popped up with information about defective items. I think many of them were closed down after agreeing terms with the manufacturers of the devices involved.

If your board is defective and has many people reporting the same problem, then you may be able to get them to replace it pretty quickly without them having to admit anything.

Well, I think the issue here is that not a lot of other people are complaning about the same thing. If you google 'asus z97 wifi ac restarts', my thread actually comes up in the first page. I doubt that it's a common fault, it's probably really just a faulty MB due to manufacturing.

Any prerequisites regarding building outside the case? I haven't done it ever.

Should I really still bother regarding the memtest? I mean, I am using different RAM altogether, and, if it was the DIMM slot, then it's still a case od replacing the motherboard, so is it still worth even trying?

My case has removable standoffs so I screw them into the mobo to raise it up off the desk.
    If not just make sure you put it on non conductive surface.Obvious no doubt to you but had to be said just to be safe :p

Use the bare minimum components to get it up and running.

I would check every stick of ram individually with memtest64 just in case they are at fault even if unlikely.

When you disconnect the power switch of your case from the mobo take note of the two pins that they are connected to.When your ready to boot you will need to short these 2 pins on the mobo with a screwdriver.

I would test each stick of ram individually just in case however unlikely it may be that they are the cause of the restarts.

game4it70 wrote:
    My case has removable standoffs so I screw them into the mobo to raise it up off the desk. If not just make sure you put it on non conductive surface.Obvious no doubt to you but had to be said just to be safe

Alright. Will do this in a little bit as my wife is still asleep and there's a great chance I may be sent on my way if I do tinkering now. :pac:
    game4it70 wrote:
    When you disconnect the power switch of your case from the mobo take note of the two pins that they are connected to.When your ready to boot you will need to short these 2 pins on the mobo with a screwdriver.

With fate starting to go on my side, this MB has a power switch on board. :D
    game4it70 wrote:
    I would test each stick of ram individually just in case however unlikely it may be that they are the cause of the restarts.

Righteo, will do this, too.

Now I've just realised that I have a slightly bigger problem. I have 4 HDDs in there that are on RAID 5. I was thinking of just getting possibly 3TB of storage and back everything up into that, but, of course, that may fail due to the computer just restarting on its own. Any ideas about this?

Now I've just realised that I have a slightly bigger problem. I have 4 HDDs in there that are on RAID 5. I was thinking of just getting possibly 3TB of storage and back everything up into that, but, of course, that may fail due to the computer just restarting on its own. Any ideas about this?

Afraid not,I'm clueless when it came to Raid.
    :o

TESTS:

- Currently running with an MSI Z97 Gaming 3 MB. Looking well so far.
    - Having issues at the moment regarding storage configurations. If interested, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057785235
    - Booting up fine and everything seems okay, although MB is around 5c warmer @ idle.
    - Test started @ 1.40am.
    - Computer seems to be working fine. Had been running overnight and no crashes or anything. Finally. :pac: :pac:
    - It's a little bit weird though that Speccy isn't detecting the components so I can't really monitor the temperatures, but no crashes anyway. BIOS was reporting that CPU was around 33c idle so that's good for being around 7c lower.
    - Stupid me forgot to register the Windows 10 code onto an outlook account so now I have an unactivated Windows 10, but we'll get over that soon ;)
    - I am getting rid of this stupid RAID 5 setup and just going to buy an external HDD for backing up everything I need from time to time. Stupid thing giving me a mini heart attack AND a bloody brain meltdown.
    - My fan controller(inbulit with the case) is also broken. Which is the reason why 3 of my fans are not working. So now I have to get a splitter of some sort to make them all work from one molex. Hopefully I find the splitters so I can install all of the fans and get the airflow working again. :pac:

Hey everyone,

Everything seems to be sorted now after the MB change. Everything is running well and I haven't seen a crash overnight. I will be updating post #47 regarding the build and my aim to 'fix' everything which, really, I should've done a long time ago. Thank you all so much for the great help that you've provided. You are all greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone,

Everything seems to be sorted now after the MB change. Everything is running well and I haven't seen a crash overnight. I will be updating post #47 regarding the build and my aim to 'fix' everything which, really, I should've done a long time ago. Thank you all so much for the great help that you've provided. You are all greatly appreciated.

Great to hear,shame about having to change the mobo though.

game4it70 wrote:
    Great to hear,shame about having to change the mobo though.

Yeah definitely a shame. It's a bit stupid to die within around 3 years. I am still communicating with Asus about it and are looking like they are entertaining the situation. They are however asking me for an invoice which I really hope I can access. HWVS' servers are all down now and I don't have the physical copy anymore. I've been looking through my email and it doesn't seem like a copy is there. Hopefully I find a picture of it or something elsewhere. :(

Yeah I had cpu from them but luckily i had the physical invoice to show Intel.

Good luck finding a pic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement