Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To Australia

Options
  • 04-09-2017 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,
    Was just looking for advice, i am looking at booking a trip to Australia for 2 years, I'm flying out on my own and that end a things is quite daunting obviously and not really knowing anybody over there. I started working straight after my leaving cert and have 10 years experience in sales for fitted furniture appliances and DIY and previous to that done labour work on construction and plumbing, come from farming background so wouldn't mind getting into that sort of work.
    Plan was fly to Sydney and then move on to Melbourne after a week or so. What are peoples experience or recommendations all help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ozbackineire

I moved over 7 years ago to Melbourne. Booked into Base hostel in St Kilda. It is a brilliant hostel right beside the beach, the best one ive ever stayed in. made heaps of friends there that I am still friend with now after moving home 2 years ago. Advise re jobs is to join an agency, i did office work so it will probably be different for farming, construction type work. Lots of construction work is done by word of mouth, you might end up meeting someone in the hostel who is working on a site and they need help. Also check out seek.com.au for jobs.

I would recommend getting your bank account open as soon as you arrive, I went with Commonwealth Bank but there is ANZ also. Also get a phone SIM so that jobs can contact you. Telstra is the main phone provider over there but they also have Vodafone and Optus.

Hope this helps a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 clarketony1989

Thanks for that yea all help very much appreciated will look into those things definely cheers. I'm walking away from a job after 10 years and money is decent at this stage so just want make sure i won't look back on it as a mistake.
    I moved over 7 years ago to Melbourne. Booked into Base hostel in St Kilda. It is a brilliant hostel right beside the beach, the best one ive ever stayed in. made heaps of friends there that I am still friend with now after moving home 2 years ago. Advise re jobs is to join an agency, i did office work so it will probably be different for farming, construction type work. Lots of construction work is done by word of mouth, you might end up meeting someone in the hostel who is working on a site and they need help. Also check out seek.com.au for jobs.

I would recommend getting your bank account open as soon as you arrive, I went with Commonwealth Bank but there is ANZ also. Also get a phone SIM so that jobs can contact you. Telstra is the main phone provider over there but they also have Vodafone and Optus.

Hope this helps a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ozbackineire

its the best thing i ever did, Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

When ya heading over? I'm thinking the same myself , sister is in Sydney so would be flying to Sydney for a week then on to Melbourne to start work..

Nothing booked yet but should be booking next few weeks. Visa expires January 5th so I prob be heading out straight after new year.

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

GF and I are heading over in November, I do systems analyst work so am hoping to go from a WHV to a 189 visa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭timmiekp

me and a friend are thinking of heading to perth/WA.im a welder his a digger driver.is there still a recession there. hoping to stay away from Sydney as its too much of a party spot ha.will it be hard to get sponsored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

timmiekp wrote: »
    me and a friend are thinking of heading to perth/WA.im a welder his a digger driver.is there still a recession there. hoping to stay away from Sydney as its too much of a party spot ha.will it be hard to get sponsored.

Perth/WA is having more of a recession than Sydney. Sydney is where all the work is with major infrastructure and commercial developments happening. Cost of living is higher but so are the wages.

If you are a qualified welder, with proper training and certificates you might be able to get sponsored but sponsorship is a lot harder than it used to be.

As a digger driver, your friend would probably need to resit all his tickets for the machines. There is no shortage of operators here, just a shortage of good operators. Chances of sponsorship driving an excavator, I couldn't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Triona00

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how expensive it is to rent by yourself over there. I'm interested in staying in Sydney, does anyone know of a good / cheap location in Sydney?

Catriona

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Triona00 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me how expensive it is to rent by yourself over there. I'm interested in staying in Sydney, does anyone know of a good / cheap location in Sydney?

Catriona

I'm not familiar with Sydney or the cost of renting there but if you have a look on www.realestate.com.au it will give you an idea of rental prices all over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Triona00 wrote: »
    Hi,

Catriona

Eastern suburbs, North Sydney, Manly, anywhere by the beach will be expensive for somewhere nice. There are cheap crapholes everywhere though.

Inner West for ease of commuting generally, lots to see and do, good nightlife but desirable and trendy so can be expensive. The further west you go, the cheaper it gets, but the further you are from everything you want to be near.

• Advertisement
Advertisement