Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is irish compulsory

Options
  • 04-09-2017 12:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭

hi
    i do 8 subjects including O.L irish. I plan to drop O.L level Irish. the course in dcu i plan to do aviation says irish is not a requirement so long as you have english. i know public schools are obliged to teach irish as they get grants from the state. i plan on going to the institute where I hope they will not make me do irish. they are a private school and you are not forced to do irish there i think(can someone confirm). will this be ok does anyone know. People have been telling me otherwise. I went there for a interview and a woman said i would not have to do so long as i do not need it. But then a teacher from My old school said irish is compulsory no matter what. I am quite confused.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are you Irish or were you born elsewhere?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭shenno

i am Irish.

you are probably going to say you have to do it then. But why did the institute say I do not have to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

shenno wrote: »
    you are probably going to say you have to do it then. But why did the institute say I do not have to do it.

Do you have a learning disability?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From the Department:

Irish is a compulsory subject in schools recognised by the Department however there are certain limited circumstances whereby an exemption may be granted.

The exemption was why I asked were you Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Afaik, it's a requirement of schools, not students. I stopped going to Irish class and didn't sit the exam, and my school seemed to just go with it, yet it had no affect on my progression to college (TCD doesn't require Irish) and was excluded from my results statement. As the Institute isn't a recognised school (students sit the lc as external candidates) it doesn't apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

I'm in the Institute and the rule here is that you don't have to do Irish if you weren't born in Ireland. Everyone else has to, it's that simple.

You don't have to do it if you have a specific learning disability that affects your learning of languages (as sryanbruen mentioned). In that case, you can get an exemption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

I'm in the Institute and the rule here is that you don't have to do Irish if you weren't born in Ireland. Everyone else has to, it's that simple.

Many repeating will already have met the Irish language matriculation requirement for universities and will therefore not need take it. So it's not as simple as you say.

Although I can't find evidence online, I'm almost certain that it's not mandatory that it be taken at the Institute - i.e. that you are wrong.

I will be quite angry with the institute at this stage. I asked them this yesterday and they said I did not have to do Irish there so long as my course did not need it. I have paid the initial fees. It would be bad on their behalf as I have left my school to go to here after they said I do not have to do Irish and I can't go back to my old school. I am going to confirm I do not have to do it today.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    From the Department:

Irish is a compulsory subject in schools recognised by the Department however there are certain limited circumstances whereby an exemption may be granted.

The exemption was why I asked were you Irish.

Does this apply to the institute

shenno wrote: »
    Does this apply to the institute

I'm not sure if the Institute is a recognised school. You would have to ask them. I know they are fairly loose with some other Department rules, like for TY, so maybe they are not.

The ruling from the Dept. is more to do with having to attend classes. Nobody can drag you screaming into an exam, but you might have to attend classes, just as you would if you'd stayed in your own school.

Double check with DCU that you do not need it. If you don't then, you're OK, even if you have to attend classes.*

*From what I know of the Institute, I doubt they have people in the back of classes/lectures doing other work, but I might be wrong.

thanks spurious

Advertisement