Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Training Study (Mod Approved)

Options
  • 04-09-2017 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

As part of a Sport Science degree I am carrying out a study for my thesis based on training loads, performance and injury for MMA competitors. I am looking for Amateur and Professional MMA men and women to volunteer to take part. There is absolutely no interference in your training routines and all I require are updates on your daily/weekly training schedule.

The main aim of the study is to see if there are increased risks of injury related to either training too little or training too much and what increased risk of injury, if any, is associated with sudden escalation of training volumes and/or intensities.

Scientific studies like this have been carried out across all major sports around the world (Soccer, Rugby, American Football, Cricket) which have shown fascinating results, however, no study to date has been carried out for MMA. The benefit from this type of study is it allows both the athlete and coach to have extra knowledge when it comes to planning their training. This can hopefully aid in a decrease of training related injury, helping the fighter maximize their time in the gym and ultimately make that walk to the Octagon.

If this is something anyone would be interested in taking part in, or you would like more information, please contact me directly at mmastudy2018@gmail.com

2pqkqyd.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'll pass it on to the club I'm with if that's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    I'll pass it on to the club I'm with if that's okay.

Absolutely. That would be very much appreciated.

If anyone else on the forum would like to do the same that would be great.

Thanks.

I've created a facebook page to go with this study. If anyone would like to give it a like/share that would be much appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/mmastudy2018/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

My sports injury prevention lecturer was slating mma the first day of inductions into college for anyone thinking of doing projects on injuries in it lol but happened to think boxing was all good where more people die, went quiet when I educated her briefly, anyways good luck with this.

Gamebred wrote: »
    My sports injury prevention lecturer was slating mma the first day of inductions into college for anyone thinking of doing projects on injuries in it lol but happened to think boxing was all good where more people die, went quiet when I educated her briefly, anyways good luck with this.

Cheers man.

There's a few research papers out there on MMA injury but they are all done retrospectively by looking back at UFC footage or from ringside physicians notes. There are none done prospectively which study training on a day to day basis as it occurs which is what my study is setting out to do.

Funnily enough the UFC just announced a deal with an Irish company called Kitman Labs to do exactly what my study is doing!! All UFC fighters training will be monitored via an app or online logs with a view to seeing how and why injuries occur and educate fighters on more efficient ways to train and avoid injury without harming their performance.

• Advertisement

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I've created a facebook page to go with this study. If anyone would like to give it a like/share that would be much appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/mmastudy2018/

Hi All,

There's about 10 days left before recruitment for this closes. I've been delighted with the response so far and want to get as many as possible to take part. If any of you could please share the info with your club or any friends/family who dabble in MMA I would be very appreciative.

Advertisement