Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I couldn't stand 2017 but I'm enjoying 2018. The scouting is an awful lot of work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

In fm15 I'm still playing with the tiny Basque club sestao river. Very hard to dismantle the top 4 in the liga BBVA :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I couldn't stand 2017 but I'm enjoying 2018. The scouting is an awful lot of work though.

I'm the same - couldnt stand 17 but finding 18 more enjoyable even though as MB said the scouting is a bit of work.

Fecking brexit

Good start to my second season in the premier league, beat the champions Manchester United 2-1 at home, even though they really should have won, but they kept missing, I really couldnt quite believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My Celtic saga continues.
    Winning the league etc every year but struggling to get past the group stage in the champions league.
    I lost out by one point thanks to an 89th minute goal away to CSKA this year.
    The board are happy because I keep winning the domestic competitions - the league and one or both cups (generally play the youth team in the cups) - but my stated aim (in my head) is to win the champions league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

My game (the one I was messing around with the editor) Messi has joined Limerick FC (albeit an aged Messi)

Sin City wrote: »
    My game (the one I was messing around with the editor) Messi has joined Limerick FC (albeit an aged Messi)
    Yes I've seen a few strange transfers when players get old. I've had Ashley Cole, Wayne Rooney, David Silva as player/coaches at Celtic... and I still have Fernandinho as a relatively competent player.

The chinese teams sign some EU players in my games at ridiculous wages, although that seems to be happening in reality too.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes I've seen a few strange transfers when players get old. I've had Ashley Cole, Wayne Rooney, David Silva as player/coaches at Celtic... and I still have Fernandinho as a relatively competent player.

The chinese teams sign some EU players in my games at ridiculous wages, although that seems to be happening in reality too.

Its strange alright seeing the big names see out the twilight of their careers at smaller less glamorous clubs

It helped that I gave the LOI excellent training and youth facilities

LOI is generating some wonderkid regens

(unrealistic I know but still fun to see where they pop up in the game and if the bigger clubs find them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Got sacked midway through my second season with Milan. Loads of my players wanted to leave after the first season despite finishing second and getting into the CL. I refused to sell as I was given a tiny transfer budget and only 35% of transfer revenue so wouldnt have been able to replace them. Big mistake, I had a mutiny on my hands :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

€120 mill can but you a much better striker

Id have let him go
    For the first time ever I noticed a "protest at sale" button when the chairman accepted an offer of €120 million for Dembele at Celtic.
    And I used it, they rejected the offer and i didnt get fired!
    Not at Celtic it won't, I'd say he's better than what the club could buy in based on reputation.

he's in year 3 of a 7 year deal (club options FTW) so no need to sell him yet. Same with Kluivert and one or two others

So.. received an offer of €160million from AS Monaco for him, with addons too. Interestingly the board did not get involved in this offer, despite the club being ~20 mil in the hole.
    Sold, and have invested the money in a couple of bosman signings, but the main amounts went to new youth facilities, training facilities, expanding the stadium to 70,000 (€50mil).
    I've also started scouting south america heavily as the regen youth prospects are brilliant. I've bought a few under a million and sold some of those for above 15-20. Which in Scotland is more than the TV revenue and the SPL prize money combined!

I've also started scouting south america heavily as the regen youth prospects are brilliant. I've bought a few under a million and sold some of those for above 15-20. Which in Scotland is more than the TV revenue and the SPL prize money combined!

Let me guess - no Brexit or a soft Brexit? It's an absolute bollocks if you have a hard one as I'm finding.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Let me guess - no Brexit or a soft Brexit? It's an absolute bollocks if you have a hard one as I'm finding.
    I was told I had a hard brexit, everyone non british needs a work permit.
    But the rules seem easier than before, like they seem to take U21 into consideration or something.

I was told I had a hard brexit, everyone non british needs a work permit.
    But the rules seem easier than before, like they seem to take U21 into consideration or something.

Not in my hard brexit - and my board havent given me the opportunity to select the affiliate club myself so cant pick one to help speed up the process even though it makes no difference. I have reminders set up for Work Permit applications. It's fair bad. Almost thinking of leaving Blackburn despite getting them from League One to the Premier League.

Moved from Limerick to Granada in my new save
    bloody Spanish minimum release clauses

R Madrid just keep buying my best players just to stock pile

Moved from Limerick to Granada in my new save
    bloody Spanish minimum release clauses

R Madrid just keep buying my best players just to stock pile

That's some move. How did you get on with Limerick. I normally start a career game with them. For the first time in ages I started with Blackburn seeing as they were in league 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I hate how often regen players are world class at 18/19, players develop far too fast in football manager

Mc Love wrote: »
    That's some move. How did you get on with Limerick. I normally start a career game with them. For the first time in ages I started with Blackburn seeing as they were in league 1.

Was a hard slog

Qualified for Europe in my first season
    and did will in europe

Then after 3 years I was sick of them and applied for any job that I could
    After a lot of rejection Granada took a chance on me

Found a few good cheap players and 3 amazing regens amazing and defied expectaions

til R Madrid said they are not having that and decided to buy best regens

There's a bug in my game. I made a contract promise to a key player that we would be promoted to Serie A. I'm just finishing my second season in Series A and he wants to leave because I didn't fulfil my promise.

A right pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Did you come up via playoffs or coming 2nd? I remember similar happening me in the Championship with Leeds before in FM17 but it was a board thing which got me fired instead. Bug could be something to do with that

• Advertisement

Did you come up via playoffs or coming 2nd? I remember similar happening me in the Championship with Leeds before in FM17 but it was a board thing which got me fired instead. Bug could be something to do with that

I can't remember but I think I won it outright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Just finished another aborted attempt with Notts Forest, can any one recommend a decent striker for the championship for Notts Forests level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

threein99 wrote: »
    Just finished another aborted attempt with Notts Forest, can any one recommend a decent striker for the championship for Notts Forests level?

Striker/winger at Everton, Onyeku or something close to that.

threein99 wrote: »

The burton Albion striker Marvin Sordell is a great championship striker or at least he was in my game

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Finally got round to starting my Roma save.

I chose them cause I wanted a team where I knew most of the players, weren't great financially, and wanted me to focus on youth.

First season wasn't amazing; not being great at the game, I finished 5th, but a strong showing at the end of the season coupled with a cup win meant they renewed my contract. Story of the season was Cutrone who I stumped up the cash to buy out his loan option midway through the season, and he finished as the top scorer in the league. Kluivert and Danso in "cheap" as well. 100 goals scored in the season but it's my defense that dragged me down.

The transfer window though is where the fun begins. ALL my older players, and several kids, wanted out to bigger clubs. Strootman and Manolas gone for their release clauses, Dzeko, Kolarov, El Shaarawy, Perotti, Karsdrop, Naingolan, Gonalons, all shipped out.

Completely rebuilding the team. Bellotti coming in to partner Cutrone up top. De Ligt, Alex Telles and Andre Gomes in as well, and promoting a few kids from the academy as well.

I got a smashing new laptop last week that runs the game like a dream so I started a new save with Galway United. I'm within a Europa League spot in the first season! :eek: The finances are not going to be good next season so I need to make one of those spots.

3 strikers is the way to go, lads!

The fixtures list in the LOI is a PITA. So many stupid cup games.

Iv one everything there is with Granda, Spurs have now hired me. All was going well unbeaten season, I actually got sick of managing a club so when Ireland came in for me I jumped at the chance of trying to qualify for a World Cup

So as soon as I resigned from Spurs.......... yes I know I could have dual managed

Some of my Irish regens refused my call up

Well I can now tell you I wont be calling them up anymore (well I might cap them in one competitive so they cant jump ship to England)

They have spurned any chance of playing international football now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I haven't played the new one yet but just talking about little bugs/annoyances.

The Board are happy that you are 1st in the league and playing attacking football.
    The board are unhappy with the 2-2 draw with Burnley.

Even if that happened weeks ago!!

Advertisement