Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Henry with the traveller women's group today.

"Hello, you have a lovely golden cross around your neck - do you think any traveller girl has ever had an abortion?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Henry with the traveller women's group today.

"Hello, you have a lovely golden cross around your neck - do you think any traveller girl has ever had an abortion?"

Pure Brass Eye right there!

He should have followed up by asking how many of them were registered to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Did anyone catch the segment this evening, approx 5pm...?
    It was about what men can do to "help" women feel safer in society.
    Suggestions included,crossing the street to get AWAY from women,and slowing your walking speed to avoid all confrontations.

Utter scutter of the highest order was spouted,including the phrase "mental bandwidth"

???????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Uncharted wrote: »
    Did anyone catch the segment this evening, approx 5pm...?
    It was about what men can do to "help" women feel safer in society.
    Suggestions included,crossing the street to get AWAY from women,and slowing your walking speed to avoid all confrontations.

Utter scutter of the highest order was spouted,including the phrase "mental bandwidth"

???????

Yer man said every female he knows has either been harassed, attacked or raped by a man.

Also that every female he knows lives in fear of being attacked on a daily basis.

Exactly how much females does he know is what i'm wondering.

Yeah,the male contributor had a black belt in hyperbole,thats for sure.

According to his logic,all men should kowtow down to their female superiors.
    We should be subservient maybe??

Yates should have read him the riot act,although he's no doubt cautious of catching Hook-itis.

I for one refuse to apologise for being a man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Perhaps you should ask the women of your acquaintance. 'Harassment' runs the gamut from dick pics in messages, to catcalling, to "nice tits, love", to arse pats. I'd say more women of your acquaintance have experienced this than you realise.

Assault and rape are obviously minority subsets of this, of course, but I doubt he was deliberately exaggerating, based on what I know from women friends and people I know only on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Assault and rape are obviously minority subsets of this, of course, but I doubt he was deliberately exaggerating, based on what I know from women friends and people I know only on Facebook.

Seriously?

That's pretty conclusive evidence right there.

Perhaps you should ask the women of your acquaintance. 'Harassment' runs the gamut from dick pics in messages, to catcalling, to "nice tits, love", to arse pats. I'd say more women of your acquaintance have experienced this than you realise.

Just to clarify in case there's any ambiguity here.
    I am not for one second undermining the horror of sexual assaults or any other type of sexual
    intimidation.
    I'm aghast at the notion that I should cross the street to AVOID a female ?
    This mentality paints all men as dangerous and to my mind,that's downright discrimination.

Seriously?

That's pretty conclusive evidence right there.

I've seen the screenshots of **** online. And these women have no reason to lie. And don't forget about the women I actually know, who are the majority of my evidence. Seriously, ask a woman acquaintance. I guarantee you'll be shocked. If, of course, you actually give a ****.

Just to clarify in case there's any ambiguity here.
    I am not for one second undermining the horror of sexual assaults or any other type of sexual
    intimidation.
    I'm aghast at the notion that I should cross the street to AVOID a female ?
    This mentality paints all men as dangerous and to my mind,that's downright discrimination.

If I feel I might intimidate anyone, whether it be a young woman or an older man, I adjust my behaviour. It's just empathetic situational awareness.

• Advertisement

I've seen the screenshots of **** online. And these women have no reason to lie. And don't forget about the women I actually know, who are the majority of my evidence. Seriously, ask a woman acquaintance. I guarantee you'll be shocked. If, of course, you actually give a ****.

I think lots of people male and female are targeted in various ways. I think lots of people seek to hold on to these events as proof of the bad world.

I agree that harassment is unacceptable. But we probably disagree and what qualifies as being serious and what is simply evidence that the perpetrator is an ash*le.

I have 3 sisters I am very close to and care deeply about so I hope that that means I give a ****. Please tell me it does.

I think lots of people male and female are targeted in various ways. I think lots of people seek to hold on to these events as proof of the bad world.

I agree that harassment is unacceptable. But we probably disagree and what qualifies as being serious and what is simply evidence that the perpetrator is an ash*le.

I have 3 sisters I am very close to and care deeply about so I hope that that means I give a ****. Please tell me it does.

I think 'seriousness' is in the eye of the target, but also in the eye of the objective observer, if there can be one. I do believe that a lot of people, not just women, shrug off offensive behaviour and comments as 'just banter' or arseholery, while being privately disturbed by it. I just think that arseholery is the thin end of the wedge, and shouldn't be tolerated either.

And I'm happy to admit that you do give a ****. I still think you should ask your sisters, though! :)

And I'm happy to admit that you do give a ****. I still think you should ask your sisters, though!

I'm in my 30's. I've discussed it plenty with them.

If I feel I might intimidate anyone, whether it be a young woman or an older man, I adjust my behaviour. It's just empathetic situational awareness.

That's your call.
    Adjusting your 'behaviour' is one thing,actively removing yourself from a females vicinity even though you are not guilty of anything is another entirely.

I'm in my 30's. I've discussed it plenty with them.

That's good. I know of nothing too untoward happening among my own immediate family, apart from my ex and my now partner. But among siblings, and first cousins, I think we have been lucky. Or we haven't heard yet.

That's good. I know of nothing too untoward happening among my own immediate family, apart from my ex and my now partner. But among siblings, and first cousins, I think we have been lucky. Or we haven't heard yet.

Think of it more that ye haven't been unlucky. Expecting bad things to happen is stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

All these people calling out men for this behaviour and rightly so on a lot of things. I want to know what their solutions are?. It’s very easy to jump on the bandwagon and get your pat on the back.

What is your idea or solutions? While men have to be aware and judge a situation more carefully. Some of the suggestions made by this guy today are farcical and scare tactics ...

jk23 wrote: »
    All these people calling out men for this behaviour and rightly so on a lot of things. I want to know what their solutions are?. It’s very easy to jump on the bandwagon and get your pat on the back.

What is your idea or solutions? While men have to be aware and judge a situation more carefully. Some of the suggestions made by this guy today are farcical and scare tactics ...

It was utter virtue signalling on an epic scale.
    In my opinion, he did a massive disservice to Irish males with such ott hyperbole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

It was utter virtue signalling on an epic scale.
    In my opinion, he did a massive disservice to Irish males with such ott hyperbole.

It’s very confusing because on one hand you have all these women’s and student groups coming out looking for equality .

yet there has to be special conditions or men have to change or become less equal to engage with this.

It's equality.......... but with a large dollop of feminazi oestrogen for good measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

good to hear Ivan tearing lumps out of the No side today on the referndum coverage, and highlighting what a failure they have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

both Ivan and Audrey trying hard not to mention Tom Dunne in this little chat.
    great free advertising for her restaurant though.

both Ivan and Audrey trying hard not to mention Tom Dunne in this little chat. great free advertising for her restaurant though.

Yeah. Noticed that.

I thought he might have a dig at the idea of sending employees home in the middle of the day because it's quiet and the problem that creates for employees but he let it slide.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Dear god, thought Drivetime would never start yesterday, Ivan discussing the horrors of Vaginal Mesh surgery was the most uncomfortable listening on many levels ever.

pc7 wrote: »
    Dear god, thought Drivetime would never start yesterday, Ivan discussing the horrors of Vaginal Mesh surgery was the most uncomfortable listening on many levels ever.

Those poor women. It sounded horrendous.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Those poor women. It sounded horrendous.

I couldn't listen, but just felt Ivan wasn't the right platform for it (Ciara would have been better). I felt like I was watching something rude with my gran listening.

pc7 wrote: »
    I couldn't listen, but just felt Ivan wasn't the right platform for it (Ciara would have been better). I felt like I was watching something rude with my gran listening.

I absolutely concur on that point. (Except the Ciara bit). Ivan seemed awkward dealing with the topic and it came through in the interview.
    It seemed rushed and not dealt with appropriately because of him being out of his depth.
    I'm a fan of Ivan but he wasn't the man for this material. Pat Kenny would have been far more appropriate

I'm a fan of Ivan but he wasn't the man for this material. Pat Kenny would have been far more appropriate

Yeah Pat would have been good, very surprised they had it on Ivans, can't see them doing something like that again, its not a fit at all.

I agree totally. Keep the politics and banter to Ivan. Not heartfelt real-life stories

• Advertisement

I do like Ivan and love his political stuff, but think he was much better when he had Chris as the straight man with him on the breakfast show. He tries to be a bit of a shock jock with his 'oh deirdre won't like me saying this' at the minute on his own. I flick on the drive home between himself and drivetime.

Advertisement