Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

He is certainly lacking a "straight man" to bounce off. He needs a ying to his yang.
    I could actually see him grating nicely against the like of Shane Coleman.

Ivan and his lack of pc awareness would be a good contrast to Coleman and his lefty liberal agenda.

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

doubt it'd be great radio though, Chris had more of a sense of humour/able to deal with Ivan's buffoonery.

Coleman wouldn't be able to hide his annoyance at Ivan's lack of knowledge on various subjects, just as he clearly gets annoyed by the moronic stuff that Paul Williams regularly comes out with.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I've actually started listening to Coleman and Williams, pretty much to hear what gaffs Williams comes out with. Its kind of funny as coleman gets so pissed off with him and can't hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

The profile pic for the breakfast show speaks volumes. The hobbit in between Coleman and Quinlan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Ivan does go on with some sh*te at times like yesterday evening. His idea that people pay off what they 'owe' their parents by caring for their own children, followed by the insistence that those who do not have children should do the majority of caring for elderly parents is such codswollop, like the worst excesses of 1950's ideology.

I'm surprised he doesn't want it put in the Constitution when they have the next referendum....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

The American chap on the panel is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Richard Chambers - hard to believe that an even bigger fool has been found to stand in for Yates while he's away at the Galway races.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Richard Chambers - hard to believe that an even bigger fool has been found to stand in for Yates while he's away at the Galway races.

Move the dial and get on with your life.

Move the dial and get on with your life.

Thanks for your advice but I'm capable of doing without your input. It is a forum for commenting on things or would you prefer only positive contributions about how wonderful the show is?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

mod note

Have a read of charter, no posting if you don’t like it turn it off, no sniping. If you don’t like a post report it

Thanks

• Advertisement

Come back George. What a joy to listen to on the drive home. He is sadly missed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Uncharted wrote: »
    Come back George. What a joy to listen to on the drive home. He is sadly missed

I'd forgotten how bad he actually was. Yates is shíťê also but Huke?.!!
    Defending taxi men. Ha ha.

I'd forgotten how bad he actually was. Yates is shíťê also but Huke?.!!
    Defending taxi men. Ha ha.

Hook is hook. You're not supposed to agree with him or his opinions,you just sit back and let his cranky view wash over you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I love the banter between Ivan and Bobby on Tuesdays.

honeybear wrote: »
    I love the banter between Ivan and Bobby on Tuesdays.

I prefer the Hook/Yates banter as it reminds me of primary school.

Love how Ivan commits to things.
    On Monday, on an piece about Cork being the 3rd most friendly city in the world, he absolutely cut Matt Cooper and George Hook to pieces.
    If you were listening in for the first time, you'd really think that he was extremely ticked off about the story and them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Bertie being queried on Lehman's testicles in 2008, now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Was that a bit of a dig from Ivan at the end?

That was Bertie Ahern talking about Lehman Bros.....”with the benefit of 10 years hindsight”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Was that a bit of a dig from Ivan at the end?

That was Bertie Ahern talking about Lehman Bros.....”with the benefit of 10 years hindsight”

Anytime I hear Alan Kelly TD being interviewed, I always think he would make a brilliant Minister. Minister for Hindsight that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

BPKS wrote: »
    Anytime I hear Alan Kelly TD being interviewed, I always think he would make a brilliant Minister. Minister for Hindsight that is.
    He was Minister for Housing (Environment)

• Advertisement

Enjoyable show today. The bits I heard anyway. Interview with a senator defending the 9,500 staff levels in the defence forces and then Brendan Howlin. Brendan called Ivan 'Alan Duke's attack dog' during their time in government when Ivan suggested Labour were continually fighting amongst themselves.

I find Ivan does tend to back down when people challenge him on being righteous over government behaviour given that he is a former minister.

Ivan is an empty vessel, always was and always will be. He's a younger version of Hook and I often wonder if he's ever held a genuine opinion of his own. It's one of life's great mysteries how he got so far in politics and as for his business nous....:rolleyes:

Ivan is an empty vessel, always was and always will be. He's a younger version of Hook and I often wonder if he's ever held a genuine opinion of his own. It's one of life's great mysteries how he got so far in politics and as for his business nous....:rolleyes:

He's hardly an empty vessel though is he?

He was elected to the Dail at 21, his business did get up to 64 shops before it failed (which it did, as have others) . And he has managed to get high profile jobs in media for several years.

I do think he is a bit of a dramatist and sometimes makes statements because he knows it will provoke a response but he is as well qualified as anyone to host a current affairs show.

His autobiography is in an interesting glimpse at his motivations and, for much of his life, cold-blooded ambition. Nevertheless, it felt at times like he was being deliberately outrageous, because as he makes clear in the book, he knows exactly how to attract publicity.

His consistent election victories were no accident though, he's a very sharp guy. But you're right about his lack of original opinions, he admits he was never a policy man, and that his sole priority in office was to get himself re-elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

His consistent election victories were no accident though, he's a very sharp guy. But you're right about his lack of original opinions, he admits he was never a policy man, and that his sole priority in office was to get himself re-elected.

any time i hear him interviewing a tory brexiter, i wonder about that. it should be like shooting fish in a barrel, but he lets them run rings around them.
    last week he had anne widdecomb on who mentioned 3 reasons for her to vote for brexit, one of which was taking control of the borders. all he had to ask was why they're now not going to do that, even though they could have done it before in any case, like in belgium. they just didn't want to spend the money to do it.
    edwina currie has him like putty in her hands whenever she is on.

any time i hear him interviewing a tory brexiter, i wonder about that. it should be like shooting fish in a barrel, but he lets them run rings around them.
    last week he had anne widdecomb on who mentioned 3 reasons for her to vote for brexit, one of which was taking control of the borders. all he had to ask was why they're now not going to do that, even though they could have done it before in any case, like in belgium. they just didn't want to spend the money to do it.
    That's a fair point!

I should probably have qualified my post by saying he's pretty sharp in terms of getting himself ahead in life.

An example off the top of my head would be when he was thinking of setting up a bookies' office in a new town, he'd go to the local Paddy Power, do a bet in the morning, do an other bet in the evening, and compare the reference numbers of the dockets to calculate how many bets had been laid in that shop on that day. If the Paddy Power was particularly busy, he'd work out whether the town could accomodate another bookies' office. Smart huh? He's clearly got something going on upstairs, but he certainly isn't a candidate for broadcaster of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think that's his style though. He never overly challenges people he disagrees with. Richard Boyd Barrett will never have hard time talking to him but he will be more aggressive interviewing some government TDs or ministers. Abortion debate was similar, he gave a lot harder time to side he agreed with. Edwina Currie annoys the hell out of me but there is no talking to her because she will just deflect. It's exactly the same when she is talking to Pat Kenny.

Anyway I like Yates but I think he sometimes bluffs through some topics and good god he mangles any non English name of a place, person or country. I'm usually not bothered about that because I'm used of Slavic names being mangled but he just makes an extra big mess of everything.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think that's his style though. He never overly challenges people he disagrees with. Richard Boyd Barrett will never have hard time talking to him but he will be more aggressive interviewing some government TDs or ministers. Abortion debate was similar, he gave a lot harder time to side he agreed with. Edwina Currie annoys the hell out of me but there is no talking to her because she will just deflect. It's exactly the same when she is talking to Pat Kenny.

If one of the activists occupying a house in Dublin came on his show he wouldn't have much trouble challenging them I think. It was quite funny on the tonight show, the distaste he had for them.

Edwina Currie is blessed with that supreme self-confidence that few have yet many to the forefront of Brexit seem to possess. I think Pat in particular, finds her more entertaining than insightful or influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

great broadcaster, sharp and witty
    doesn't take himself too seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

The ghoul Williams on now, scaremongering the sh1t out of rural dwellers with his insight into the criminal fraternity..I'm disappointed that Ivan isn't providing fair balance..

This type of stuff makes me uncomfortable..

Advertisement