Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Robert2012 wrote: »
    The ghoul Williams on now, scaremongering the sh1t out of rural dwellers with his insight into the criminal fraternity..I'm disappointed that Ivan isn't providing fair balance..

This type of stuff makes me uncomfortable..

Williams does make it sound nearly like he's enjoying it.

But, many farmers suffer greatly from break ins, theft and assault. Many of these stories never go past the local news unless someone has been seriously assaulted.

It's very scary to think that a Garda car is an hour away when you hear someone breaking your gates down.

I must be losing it, I actually thought Williams came across quite well in that interview! He even seemed very humble about his broadcasting abilities, almost enough to make one feel bad for taking the piss!

He was dead right about the impact of rural crime. My family live near an elderly pair of sisters who have had had to move away from their small farm and live in a council house, because they couldn't remain living on their isolated farm after having been targeted by burglars. They've lost everything at the hands of a few scumbags (frankly), including their fairly modest livelihoods. That's something the crime stats can't capture.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Williams does make it sound nearly like he's enjoying it.

But, many farmers suffer greatly from break ins, theft and assault. Many of these stories never go past the local news unless someone has been seriously assaulted.

It's very scary to think that a Garda car is an hour away when you hear someone breaking your gates down.

The media ignore the huge issue of rural crime because its a protected minority who are carrying it out.

Williams is a hack of the highest order but he spoke well at the ploughing championships on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Bill Cosbys spokesperson defending just on just said top of the morning to your listeners. Ivan didn't even pull him up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

For all you fans of Ivan why not buy his memoirs on Adverts? The seller makes several useful suggestions for what you can do with it.

https://www.adverts.ie/biographies/ivan-yates-full-on/16344476

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Del.Monte wrote: »
    For all you fans of Ivan why not buy his memoirs on Adverts? The seller makes several useful suggestions for what you can do with it.

https://www.adverts.ie/biographies/ivan-yates-full-on/16344476

:pac:
    I'm pretty sure the seller (Judgement Day) is a boardsie. Think I recognize the username from the Film Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

Just a heads up for anyone who hasn't been listening so far today, Ivan will be celebrating Henry McCleans 40th birthday later on todays programme.

In case you were planning on tuning in later...

Kieran Cuddihy and Ivan had a very heated conversation earlier on a committee appearance relating to a review in to the RTE Symphony and National Orchestra's.

Ivan can play the antagonist perfectly. It's hard to know when he is truly indignant or just playing a part, he still ends every conversation in a pleasant tone.

Something beautiful about the indignation he can profess for having to use public money to fund orchestra's when he is claiming a ministerial pension while still likely earning a high figure in his current role.

Kieran Cuddihy and Ivan had a very heated conversation earlier on a committee appearance relating to a review in to the RTE Symphony and National Orchestra's.

Ivan can play the antagonist perfectly. It's hard to know when he is truly indignant or just playing a part, he still ends every conversation in a pleasant tone.

Something beautiful about the indignation he can profess for having to use public money to fund orchestra's when he is claiming a ministerial pension while still likely earning a high figure in his current role.

The only time Ivan is likely to be indignant is when some of his pensions are threatened. He is a vacuous, empty vessel whose only interest is self-interest.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The only time Ivan is likely to be indignant is when some of his pensions are threatened. He is a vacuous, empty vessel whose only interest is self-interest.

I'm not sure about that. He is definitely interested in horse racing for example.
    I wonder though can he tailor his perceived interest in topics so as to facilitate the discussion.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well he is holding the show. I didn't think he would do it without the foil of a co-host.

• Advertisement

Anyone hear the topic on the decimation if world animal numbers this evening?

Ivan was so flippant about it he has to have been putting bit on. This from a former Minister of Agriculture.
    He must have been setting himself up so the guests could call him out on it.

Ivan was so flippant about it he has to have been putting bit on. This from a former Minister of Agriculture.

Ivan can barely spell the word environment so his flippancy is par for the course. He's from a farming background and like many of his fellow travellers know nothing about the environment and care less unless it involves grants for not hacking down every last hedgerow or draining every worthless bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I remember Ivan talking on his show about getting rid of the family dog when times were tough. Thought he was joking but heard him repeat the comment a few months later. He seemed so blasé about it

honeybear wrote: »
    I remember Ivan talking on his show about getting rid of the family dog when times were tough. Thought he was joking but heard him repeat the comment a few months later. He seemed so blasé about it

Yeah, he does says things like that (and this recent topic) from time to time.

I think he is smart enough to play the fool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

honeybear wrote: »

It's 100% a joke. A lot of Ivan's schtick can be a bit tiresome but that one was one of his best, in a large part because people seem to think he was serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

It's 100% a joke. A lot of Ivan's schtick can be a bit tiresome but that one was one of his best, in a large part because people seem to think he was serious.

Took it as a joke the first time but when he repeated it allI could think of was the Yates pooch being shown the door!

Even if it is a joke, I'd imagine he's the sort that would joke in the same way at home.

If the dog can understand English, it's a safe bet he's trying (literally) to keep his nose clean. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yates knows very well what will spur people to text in and get some extra revenues. He is never serious when covering anything about environment or animals. Last time he was calling Barbara Scully crazy cat woman. He won't be serious covering cycling or anything to do with Irish Rail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

meeeeh wrote: »
    Yates knows very well what will spur people to text in and get some extra revenues.

I really doubt the texts are a material revenue stream in themselves. Once you take VAT, mobile operator share, tech operator share & costs of running a short code into account there's not a lot there for Newstalk.
    My guess is that they are used as a proxy for listener engagement, which may be used to sell ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Boyd Barratt getting absolutely slaughtered on the texts.
    Getting his ass handed to him as he cries about "poor" travellers. Lol. Such a snowflake clown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Uncharted wrote: »
    Boyd Barratt getting absolutely slaughtered on the texts.
    Getting his ass handed to him as he cries about "poor" travellers. Lol. Such a snowflake clown.

Why is he even on?

Why does he get so much time?

His party is on 1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Did Yates just break an Irish Times journo ban? Newton Emerson is on and I know he writes opinion pieces for IT. Or is there a thaw in relationship considering Ciara Kelly did an interview with IT? Or maybe the ban is only for Una Mullaly and Fintan O'Toole. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I've been wondering about the ban as I thought there'd been a few IT people on newstalk recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I've been wondering about the ban as I thought there'd been a few IT people on newstalk recently.

I'd say it's still going.
    Cooper over on Today FM was reduced to having some nimrod from Slugger O'Toole to talk about Brexit, the guy could barely string a sentence together.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it was Matt Cooper that was on the other evening. I was a passenger in a car and had no choice but to listen.
    They were talking about Trump, three of them, and all saying he is awful and a disgrace.
    This to me is media telling us how to think.
    You need to give it straight down the middle or have something anti your position if you want me to listen.
    This is why I tuned out of newstalk when the great George Hook got taken off his great show. You would never have listened to something so one-sided on his show.
    I'm no fan of Trump btw just so people don't start off ranting to me about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think it was Matt Cooper that was on the other evening. I was a passenger in a car and had no choice but to listen.
    They were talking about Trump, three of them, and all saying he is awful and a disgrace.
    You need to give it straight down the middle or have something anti your position if you want me to listen.
    This is why I tuned out of newstalk when the great George Hook got taken off his great show. You would never have listened to something so one-sided on his show.

Nor are Cooper and his guests, so what are you complaining about?

But obviously you must be a fan of his, if you get upset when people point out what a dangerous piece of sh*t he is.

Own up, you like trump.

Clearly even though I say I don't like Trump you are going to make up your own mind that I do. Unbelievable.
    I want straight down the middle debate. I don't want one-sided, this is how you should think, bull crap.
    This is why I stopped tuning in to newstalk.

My post isn't really about Trump at all, it's about the clear agenda to tell you how you should think which has become prevalent in Irish media and very much so on newstalk.

I remember the days of Charles Mitchell when he read the news with no opinion, just the plain facts of what had happened. We need to get back to that and let people think for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

eagle eye wrote: »

If you don’t like one sided arguments then you really should have hated George Hook.

The man invited people on then just spoke over them to say what his opinion was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

It's clear that Trump and his uglier-opinionated friends has successfully used this 'we need to present both sides to be impartial' trope of the media to gain traction. They are not interested in looking to compromise or moderate their views, to come to a common ground or an agreed policy, but to simply be given equal time on the most popular programmes to gain legitamicy to what was often previously seen as disgusting views. The media is used as a tool to simply promote their ugly viewpoints. When they don't get their way, you next step in the playbook is to claim that political correctness is gone mad, I say what I think and Im the only one with the guts to tell the truth. Claiming free speech rights when not getting access. Its effective and people are falling for it hook line and sinker. The media of course follow the controversy and hope that people getting riled up leads to ad revenue, and forget any good that they might do.

The caravan of invaders before the latest mid-terms is the most obvious recent evidence. Absolutely no interest in the actual issues of immigration, challenges to public services etc in the states but Trump and his supporters use the media for their own ends. The sooner the media realise that this 'we need to present both sides of the argument' is being played, the better for everyone in general.

• Advertisement

If you don’t like one sided arguments then you really should have hated George Hook.
    Hook was clearly opinionated but he'd invite on somebody from the other side and argue with them. He didn't enlist people with similar views and just have a discussion where all agree and try and tell you what way you should be thinking.
    We need to give both sides of the argument and let people decide for themselves.

Advertisement