Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Can't listen to Ivan anymore, he was funny years ago on the breakfast show but now he is just an obnoxious dickhead.

He hasn't even got the manners to let his guests talk anymore, just always interrupting them, he will turn into George.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭xl500

GS11 wrote: »
    Can't listen to Ivan anymore, he was funny years ago on the breakfast show but now he is just an obnoxious dickhead.

He hasn't even got the manners to let his guests talk anymore, just always interrupting them, he will turn into George.

He is already just a younger version

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

who is this american on with Ivan now ?

Edit: it's ok, was Kevin Cullen from the boston globe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Why is it when Henry is on with Ivan, they play a clip and when they cut back to studio, Ivan starts to ask a question Henry interrupts and says "Ivan"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,312 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

doylefe wrote: »
    Why is it when Henry is on with Ivan, they play a clip and when they cut back to studio, Ivan starts to ask a question Henry interrupts and says "Ivan"?

Because Henry is a moron and one of the main reasons I've cut way down on my Newstalk listening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

2smiggy wrote: »
    who is this american on with Ivan now ?

Edit: it's ok, was Kevin Cullen from the boston globe

Heard him earlier pussing about trump, first thing out of his mouth is talking about Trump and Putin being butt buddies, then Asians being yellow and finally making fun off trump for being fat.

Bit hard to reach for the moral high ground when he is hitting all the boxes for being a dippshiit

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Well done to Marion Harkin MEP bringing Ivan down a peg or 2 today.

He likes to be indignant on behalf of the public. He should know better given his experience as an elected official.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭griffin100

I tried listening to him last night and got through about 10 minutes. He's just so predictable with his 'Un PC' comments and his 'man of the people' act. He hasn't lost his habit of talking over persons before they've answered his questions either.

I'd say his TV3 show with Mother Cooper is some pile of sh1te - I've never seen it but I'm happy to judge it based on their radio shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I find every time I am listening to Newstalk no matter what show it ends with a feminist debate or issue, Terry Prone and Sabrina Brennan on Hard Shoulder today was an example, it seems to be a staple on nearly every show I tuned into on the station. I am all for equality and womens rights but it’s gone way overboard in my opinion. I may be wrong or has anyone noticed this on the station?..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

So, this evening Ivan had Anne Graham of the NTA in studio to talk about their recent transport customer survey and I just knew that he wouldn't be able to help himself - you guessed it, he referred to Henry McKeen's report on a train journey where somebody 'broke wind'. Graham ignored the infantile remark and passed effortlessly through the rest of the lame interview.

Once a baby, always a baby and with his lavatorial prep school sense of humour Ivan's well placed to takeover when Hook retires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Christ. ^^ Glad I missed that question..

"Current climate, Ivan". Richie McCormack has the most generic, joyless and politically correct twit in an industry which now seems to consider it a sport..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

jk23 wrote: »
    I find every time I am listening to Newstalk no matter what show it ends with a feminist debate or issue, Terry Prone and Sabrina Brennan on Hard Shoulder today was an example, it seems to be a staple on nearly every show I tuned into on the station. I am all for equality and womens rights but it’s gone way overboard in my opinion. I may be wrong or has anyone noticed this on the station?..

Terry prone seems to be on speed dial. If it’s not talking sh1te on pat Kenny, it’s talking more sh1te on Ivan Yates. Her examiner articles are also sh1te. U can see she aggravates me haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Terry prone seems to be on speed dial. If it’s not talking sh1te on pat Kenny, it’s talking more sh1te on Ivan Yates. Her examiner articles are also sh1te. U can see she aggravates me haha

They have to keep her sweet and in the public eye cos she knows all the skeletons.

An awful yoke:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/tag/terry-prone/

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Birneybau wrote: »

Google "Kate Fitzgerald Communications Clinic" for a delightful story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

did Ivan read out a text calling the winter olympians a shower of cnuts earlier?!!

Birneybau wrote: »

Google "Kate Fitzgerald Communications Clinic" for a delightful story.

Yeah, Broadsheet ran that story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Standing Bear

Ivan's last words tonight ...."our Celtic heritage"... Yates, there's a Celtic name to be sure. Once a politician always a politician. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Ivan had a discussion with a contributor today about the rise of "identity" politics. Ivan's usual lack of knowledge of anything outside narrow bands really spiked the discussion. It was like a piece on the sinking of the Titanic in which half the time allotted was spent explaining to Ivan what a ship was. They should have a backup to cover the topics outside Irish politics and sport. Listening to basic general knowledge being explained to Ivan before the point can be got to does not make good radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

quintana76 wrote: »
    Ivan had a discussion with a contributor today about the rise of "identity" politics. Ivan's usual lack of knowledge of anything outside narrow bands really spiked the discussion. It was like a piece on the sinking of the Titanic in which half the time allotted was spent explaining to Ivan what a ship was. They should have a backup to cover the topics outside Irish politics and sport. Listening to basic general knowledge being explained to Ivan before the point can be got to does not make good radio.

He knows very little about sport outside of horse racing. Just because he goes to a few sporting events, which he loves to mention, doesn’t make him a sports expert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yep he’s an event fan more so than a sport fan. I’m envious of all the stuff he gets to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

this solo slot has really shown up what a bluffing buffoon he is. I thought in breakfast he was just playing the part of a jester, but his lack of knowledge about so many topics and disinterest in weekly pieces is shocking. his constant talking over guests is really grating too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Henry. Fcuking. McKean.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

meeeeh wrote: »
    I must be the only person here who like Yates. And btw his miles ahead of Hook. Yates it tongue in cheek, Hook was not.

nope, i really like him too, he was excellent on the breakfast show IMO, (and look at the clown they got to replace him, i skip the breakfast show once williams starts talking)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ivan's actually growing on me.
    I don't listen religiously but last few weeks, whenever I listen in, I'm entertained.

5 mins of dead air after Ivan's pre-recorded sign off.

New studio not working out too well!

5 mins of dead air after Ivan's pre-recorded sign off.

New studio not working out too well!

That was crazy.

Joe Molloy came on then not a mention of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Edz87 wrote: »
    That was crazy.

Joe Molloy came on then not a mention of it.

I turned on the radio before OTB. Couldn't seem to find Newstalk, so went to podcasts for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I turned on the radio before OTB. Couldn't seem to find Newstalk, so went to podcasts for the evening.

same with me. thought the internet was down. i need to get an FM radio back!!

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »

same with me. thought the internet was down. i need to get an FM radio back!!

Highly recommend it!

I mostly listen on mobile so carry a spare phone just for FM now as TuneIn was draining my battery.

I easily get 30-35 hours FM from a £40 Alba phone from Argos with a bit of backup browsing when needed also.

Advertisement