Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to gain weight

Options
  • 04-09-2017 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

20 year old, looking to put on a bit of weight. I know all about the science behind weight gain/loss but the problem is not being able to eat enough calories. I have a food sensitivity to wheat(gluten), dairy, eggs, sugar, chocolate, oats, soya, potatoes, pig meat, chicken and a mild allergy to nuts. Yes, it sucks but i know it's not completely abnormal as it actually runs in the family. I eat a lot of rice and gluten free pasta, fish and turkey, beans, soup, sweet potatoes... but these are all low calorie foods. Does anyone know of any foods/methods of eating more calories on a ridiculous diet like mine? Any tips or advice would be very welcome.Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hillary17

sheepish97 wrote: »
    20 year old, looking to put on a bit of weight. I know all about the science behind weight gain/loss but the problem is not being able to eat enough calories. I have a food sensitivity to wheat(gluten), dairy, eggs, sugar, chocolate, oats, soya, potatoes, pig meat, chicken and a mild allergy to nuts. Yes, it sucks but i know it's not completely abnormal as it actually runs in the family. I eat a lot of rice and gluten free pasta, fish and turkey, beans, soup, sweet potatoes... but these are all low calorie foods. Does anyone know of any foods/methods of eating more calories on a ridiculous diet like mine? Any tips or advice would be very welcome.Thank you.

Have you tried weight training? This combined with your diet should help you out as your diet seems fairly balanced, maybe throw a bit more red meat in there. squatting, deadlifting, weighted lunges, bench presses and the like should do the trick. Maybe a protein shake afterwards too... depending on your tolerance to them, and of course some people don't believe in taking them so it's a matter of opinion if you want to use them or not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sheepish97

Hillary17 wrote: »
    Have you tried weight training? This combined with your diet should help you out as your diet seems fairly balanced, maybe throw a bit more red meat in there. squatting, deadlifting, weighted lunges, bench presses and the like should do the trick. Maybe a protein shake afterwards too... depending on your tolerance to them, and of course some people don't believe in taking them so it's a matter of opinion if you want to use them or not :)

Hi there, thanks for the reply! yes I've been going to the gym since about December and I've become very lean but I was 70kg when i started going and I've been stuck at that weight since, can't even up it by a kilogram! I'm sticking with it anyway trying to be as consistent as possible but worried I'm not eating enough to grow. Another problem is i play football at least 3 times a week so its hard to gym more than 2/3 times a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Maybe go to holland and Barrett with your big list of allergies and see if they have a high calorie protein powder you could take.

How about a mexican? 200g high fat mince, a large avocado (make guacamole), kidney beans and rice.. all that would be about 1000 cals.

Humous, olives and salmon are also high in fat and therefore calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Can you eat beef? Beef and beef protein powder would be a start maybe
    You'd nearly be as well off consulting a professional with that list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Eating a lot of fish is considered dangerous because of the level of pollutants in them, especially mercury. It's recommended that you don't eat more than three servings of low mercury fish a week. Salmon is an example of a low mercury fish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The concept of non coeliac gluten intolerance was debunked by the man who suggested it in the first place. People who get bad effects from bread are actually reacting to a type of carbohydrate found in most bread.

You might find a low fodmap diet would suit you, which avoids this sort of carb. Google would provide good suggestions for it.

Advertisement