Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice of leave

• 04-09-2017 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Hi all I'm currently employed with a county council as a general operative. Long story short it's not the job for me and I have secured another job so will be handing in my notice. When I took the job it was a 2 year contract. I'm on my 17th week at the minute. How long of a notice do I have to give. Just trying to get a head up on the whole thing before I do it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Check your contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

toadfly wrote: »
    Check your contract

I can't find it .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Then we can't help you!

You have to give at least 1 weeks notice unless your contract states more.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/losing_your_job/losing_job_entitlements.html

toadfly wrote: »
    Then we can't help you!

You have to give at least 1 weeks notice unless your contract states more.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/losing_your_job/losing_job_entitlements.html

Ok thanks. Hopefully it doesn't state more but I'll see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Xterminator

often it is the pay period for practical reasons.

ie if your paid by-weekly its 2 weeks, paid monthly its 1 month.

• Advertisement

Found the contract. It states one month although it also says there's no agreement that this cannot be less of mutually agreed on. Now what do I write as my notice to hand in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Dupont wrote: »
    Found the contract. It states one month although it also says there's no agreement that this cannot be less of mutually agreed on. Now what do I write as my notice to hand in ?

One month as per your contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,521 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dupont wrote: »
    Now what do I write as my notice to hand in ?

Dear Manager's Name,

I will no longer be available for work from XX/XX/2017

Kind Regards
    Dupont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Don't do this! Give the date when leaving, thank them for the experience you gained and say you enjoyed working with all the staff (even if not true). Also say that you trust your p45 and final pay will be available when you leave or asap. Finish by wishing them well for the future

Contract says 1 month but allows for flexibility. Why don't you just talk to your manager, explain you will be leaving and ask can you leave earlier than the 1 month. Once agreed with your manager, send your notice with the agreed date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Dear Manager's Name,

I will no longer be available for work from XX/XX/2017

Kind Regards
    Dupont

That's a crap resignation letter.

Contract says 1 month but allows for flexibility. Why don't you just talk to your manager, explain you will be leaving and ask can you leave earlier than the 1 month. Once agreed with your manager, send your notice with the agreed date.

Thanks. I've arranged a meeting with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,521 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    That's a crap resignation letter.

it's a resignation letter, outlining the required facts, what more do you need. Make small talk with your boss about the reason or anything else, all the letter needs is a date, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

it's a resignation letter, outlining the required facts, what more do you need. Make small talk with your boss about the reason or anything else, all the letter needs is a date, nothing more.

But it doesn't outline the facts. "Not available " is really ambiguous language.

Advertisement