Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU or Mobo problem?

Options
  • 04-09-2017 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

My 1070 stopped giving my monitor a signal when I booted today. There was a faint smell of smoke from the PC I've witnessed a few times in the last few weeks/months, but today is the first time something has gone wrong.

I took out the GPU and tested it on another PC, it worked fine first try. I'm going to get my hands on a spare PSU and try it so see. What do you think is the most likely culprit? The mobo is a Asrock extreme 4 and the PSU is a corsair RM1000. Both a few years old at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

smoke smell tends to be the psu. But there's a chance it could have blown the board/other components as well. There's a way of testing the psu by putting a paper clip into 2 of the pins(can't remember which ones but do a quick google).
    But yeah my first plan of attack would be try a different psu if you can get one. You can get a less powerful one and try it without the gpu installed.

Advertisement