Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about spending €250 on a pair of boots!!

Options
  • 05-09-2017 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭

I would like to buy a good pair of boots that will suit my needs for the next number of years.
    I do a lot of hill walking in summer and runners seem to do me in the good weather. I would like to go out more in the Winter and hence the need for boots

I would also like to do a few climbs like Croagh Patrick, Mt Brandona and even Carrantouille in the next 18 months

But am afraid that I won't get the wear out if spending €250 or even that when I do get them... that they just prove too uncomfortable!!!!

I guess I am trying to convince myself that the money won't be wasted.......it's a bloody of money for boots!!!

Anyone else invest and did u feel it was a good call??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If you want to regularly do the heavy climbs and you want them for the long haul then yeah, the big money boots are probably going to justify themselves. Now, I say probably as I am bearing in mind that mid range boots are up to most tasks on our hills but sometimes you may need that little bit more.

And I am thinking of your pocket here as well. €200+ may be a lot to you so don't diss the cheap brands off hand; my most waterproof pair of boots have been humble Regatta's while some of the Hi Tec shoes have gotten excellent reviews.

That all said, do get into a shop and try some on for size and fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Go to a good shop and make sure they are right for you if you are serious about going expensive.

Agree that Hi Tec are a good cheap brand, maybe start out with a pair before you splash out and it's always handy to have a back up pair of boots anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Masala

But how do you know ' they are right for you,????

Every pair will feel great in shop... it when you trekked 10kms and you start to feel that they killing your feet you that you then realise that you made the wrong choice!!!!! And €250 down the drain!!!!

That's my concern..... !!

As well as walking in them... I hope to use standing in football pitches etc and anywhere I might be standing oit in the wet and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Bring your walking socks with you and get the assistant to advise you, measure your feet etc. Then give them a good try on and that's about it.
    It's not perfect but better than buying online.
    For the cheaper boots TK Max is a good place to go as you root through the stock and do your own thing. It is hit and miss though for stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I used to do a small bit of hiking and didn't want to spends loads on boots so got a pair of Karrimore Hot Rocks for about €50. Best decision ever. They've done everything from wet hiking (with gaiters) to sub zero conditions with no problem.
    Was told to get water proofing spray for them which was a good suggestion - kept them safe in really wet conditions.
    My original boots are past hiking so they are now a day to day boot. And have a new pair for outdoor stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

most place will take boots bcxk if you have only worn them about the house . put them on each night for a week and you will know if they are the right ones or not . I went through this process until I found the right ones.

Advertisement