Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APPLE HARVESTING

Options
  • 05-09-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

By leaving Cox's Pippin apples well into September without picking them will smaller ones grow any bigger and regular ones become any riper?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they'll get riper, but your best bet - too late for this year - is to thin them out earlier in the year. it means the remaining ones will get bigger than they otherwise would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Sounds like good advice Bas. I get loads of blossoms at the start but not a proportionate number of apples. This time I fixed some vinegar and sugar traps for codling moth. That was successful enough but I wasn't sure how long to leave them on the tree. Previously I lost quite a few to infestation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

ttenneb wrote: »
    Sounds like good advice Bas. I get loads of blossoms at the start but not a proportionate number of apples. This time I fixed some vinegar and sugar traps for codling moth. That was successful enough but I wasn't sure how long to leave them on the tree. Previously I lost quite a few to infestation.

Hi, can i ask you to tell me more about the traps,please !!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

rolion wrote: »

Using 1- or 2-litre plastic milk containers and leaving the caps secured cut a hole below the handle about the size of your fist. Chop banana skin into 1 inch pieces and put them in the container. Mix a mug of sugar into a mug of vinegar and stir it well. Pour the mix into the container and hang it on the tree. Replenish every couple of weeks or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

rolion wrote: »
    ttenneb wrote: »
    Using 1- or 2-litre plastic milk containers and leaving the caps secured cut a hole below the handle about the size of your fist. Chop banana skin into 1 inch pieces and put them in the container. Mix a mug of sugar into a mug of vinegar and stir it well. Pour the mix into the container and hang it on the tree. Replenish every couple of weeks or less.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ce/74/9d/ce749d0f621201ca7d81144d1a1d4bda.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement