Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council Housing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

rooster00 wrote: »
    Just wondering do the council buy plots of land and then allow individuals to build on them, all the while the land would remain owned by the council and thus the property also.

I noticed through looking at a council housing application form they provide a section for land use/development.

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Housing/Home/Documents/HousingApplicationForm.pdf

I refer to page 15

Many years ago the Council could be approached to provide housing in this way. These were known as "nominee sites". If a person owned land and a relative was in need of local authority house, say a son or daughter then the parents could transfer the site into the ownership of the Local Authoriry and a dwelling would be constructed on it. This then was a council house and rent was paid to the local authority.

The Council didnt purchase the site it was given over free of charge. I haven't heard of one of these in years! very surprised DCC is still doing this / still considering applications as it is a very uneconomical way to deliver social housing!

Advertisement