Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 water damaged ... any fix?

Options
  • 05-09-2017 1:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Send it off to Apple? There's no free fix if that's what you're looking for. Noone here can tell you how bad it is. It's probably beyond repair being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

If they are left wet for a long time the battery corrodes the insides - especially if you try to power it on when wet.

If you send it to apple - you will *not* get your data back.

They can sometimes be repaired by a shop - if you want to see behind the scenes how much is involved in how to repair it - check out this guys videos - hes a gas character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPeITOz2_YM

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

If you're lucky then just the battery will need replacing. That's what happened with my iPhone 6 after it went for a swim for a few seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

I did the same thing unfortunately. Month old iPhone 6s down the toilet!!!
    Local phone repair place reckoned it was unlikely they could fix. Apple wanted 365 for out of warranty replacement.

Anyway place called ielectron was recommended by Guy in apple store. They said they have a good success rate. Anyway they relieved me of 65 bucks and say now it's not fixable.

Question is what to do with a damaged phone?

Is there anywhere that will refurbish it or buy the phone? So annoyed with myself.

As it's been opened by a third party apple won't touch it now. That's if they even opened it which I am sceptical tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

christy02 wrote: »
    Question is what to do with a damaged phone?

A new motherboard would cost about 250 euros - is difficult to fit - and might not be enough to fix it (link)

As is - lots of parts should be still useful to someone -
    Screen, battery, case and even the card box box if you have it are all still useful to someone with another broken one and experience to make one good phone.

so - you might be just as well putting it on adverts as "Water damaged IPhone 6S" and forgetting about it... Probably worth 120 to 150 euros maybe ??

Or check if you house insurance will cover a replacement.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Would have gone with the 365 from Apple at least I would have a warranty with that as opposed to 250 for a motherboard that may or may not fix it.

Course as I said have already thrown 65 at trying to get it fixed. Dont want to throw good money after bad.

Thanks for advice. Will try to sell and fund a new phone. Still have a 5s albeit screen is broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

ozmo wrote: »
    If they are left wet for a long time the battery corrodes the insides - especially if you try to power it on when wet.

If you send it to apple - you will *not* get your data back.

They can sometimes be repaired by a shop - if you want to see behind the scenes how much is involved in how to repair it - check out this guys videos - hes a gas character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPeITOz2_YM

rice doesn't work, but silica gel does.

Advertisement