Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dynohub question.

Options
  • 05-09-2017 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have just taken delivery of a new front wheel with Shimano T670-3N dynamo. Its my first ever dynohub so not sure what it should feel like. Its not on the bike yet. It feels a tiny bit "rough" when I spin the wheel. Not free flowing like a normal hub. Is this normal for a Dyno hub. I expect a bit of resistance but not sure if this is what to expect.. It came from Rose bikes so their quality is usually pretty good..

Its possibly fine but I have nothing to compare it with so not sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have just taken delivery of a new front wheel with Shimano T670-3N dynamo. Its my first ever dynohub so not sure what it should feel like. Its not on the bike yet. It feels a tiny bit "rough" when I spin the wheel. Not free flowing like a normal hub. Is this normal for a Dyno hub. I expect a bit of resistance but not sure if this is what to expect.. It came from Rose bikes so their quality is usually pretty good..

Its possibly fine but I have nothing to compare it with so not sure

Yes it should offer a kind of lumpy resistance when you spin it. Essentially your rotating magnets around some coils and of course they want to stay in one position so you're overcoming that resistance on/off/on/off hence the lumpy feel.

Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Yes it should offer a kind of lumpy resistance when you spin it. Essentially your rotating magnets around some coils and of course they want to stay in one position so you're overcoming that resistance on/off/on/off hence the lumpy feel.

Marty.

Thanks. Lumpy is actually the perfect word for it..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thanks. Lumpy is actually the perfect word for it..

This said when you are on the road and you are moving over a certain speed, you won't notice this at all. It is only noticeable when you are spinning it or going slow (or sometimes when going super fast).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sometimes you may forget, and think what on earth is wrong with my bike, but then be all smug with your always on, never need to be charged lights that are as good as most car lights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Perfectly normal. It's only 3Watt and say you use 200watts then it's only 1.5% of your power that you are lossing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ted1 wrote: »
    Perfectly normal. It's only 3Watt and say you use 200watts then it's only 1.5% of your power that you are lossing

Less the inefficiencies in the system and its probably 3% of your power allowing for 50% efficiency!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

I built one up last year for night riding eventually i left it on always even during the day. Really cant say I notice the difference. Is lumpy when turn slowly but that's totally normal.

thanks all for the feedback. One more question. I got these 2 plastic devices. looks like the grey one fits into the black one and they fit snugly over the spade connectors on the dynamo. Is this just a protector for the connections on the dynamo when not in use.

I haven't got a light yet so not sure if they are required for connecting that??

thanks all for the feedback. One more question. I got these 2 plastic devices. looks like the grey one fits into the black one and they fit snugly over the spade connectors on the dynamo. Is this just a protector for the connections on the dynamo when not in use.

I haven't got a light yet so not sure if they are required for connecting that??

Your wires go through the top of the grey one and fold back on little ridges, then you clip that into the black one and simply push onto the connectors on the dynamo. It means you do not need to solder anything and can easily disconnect the wheel if you have a flat.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Your wires go through the top of the grey one and fold back on little ridges, then you clip that into the black one and simply push onto the connectors on the dynamo. It means you do not need to solder anything and can easily disconnect the wheel if you have a flat.

Interesting. no holes in the top of the grey one. Do they have to be punched out??

• Advertisement

Interesting. no holes in the top of the grey one. Do they have to be punched out??

The last time I done it, you just pushed the wiers through the little grey circles, image here:
    nexus-wiring.jpg

Advertisement